American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

Ill always prefer the 70's Steelers over the 49ers. They had some Characters on that team, Mean Joe, Jack Lambert, Lynn Swann, Terry Bradshaw.

Jack Lambert - Didnt get many endorsements from Nivea for Men
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

magickingdom

Quote from: the Deel Rover on January 29, 2008, 11:39:02 AM
ye watched "America's game " yesterday all about the 81 ( i think) San Francisco 49ers great stuff altogether, what hit me was how much they hated the Cowboys. It said at the end that they won 5 superbowls in 14 Years.Just wondering how many did Montana win with them ?

joe cool won 4 superbowls, i lived in sf for a few years and they sure hated those cowboys

AZOffaly

Mention of Johan Santana is the perfect cue for Fantasy Baseball. Is anyone interested in this again this year? Season will start end of March,...

the Deel Rover

Quote from: AZOffaly on January 30, 2008, 08:52:47 AM
Mention of Johan Santana is the perfect cue for Fantasy Baseball. Is anyone interested in this again this year? Season will start end of March,...

is there any point Az especially if bombidal is taking part, sure he is bound to win it ;)
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

AZOffaly

I notice he still hasn't changed his signature. He's hanging on grimly :)

the Deel Rover

ye the loss loss seems to have hit him hard he seems to be delusional :D
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Gabriel_Hurl

heganboy

Im still in mourning over last season's Guiliani style collapse, blazing into an early lead getting cocky and then blowing it
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

thejuice

So what are the plans for Superbowl, I got Monday morning off work, gonna get a bunch of the lads arond, and stay up, with a few bottles of booze, finger fod and what not. I wanna go over to the States and see what its like first hand, would be great to be able to watch NFL during the day.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

AZOffaly

I've Monday off work as well. There's a pub in the village being returned to the owner at the end of a lease this week, so the lad with the lease in bowing out in style. Lock in, superbowl, free porter and sweepstakes on scorelines at 1st Quarter, half and full times.

Should be a bit of craic.

Gabriel_Hurl

Going into a bar at about 1pm - doors being locked - bit of Texas Hold 'Em until game time

$70 all the food and beer you can handle

AZOffaly

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on January 31, 2008, 02:43:09 PM
Going into a bar at about 1pm - doors being locked - bit of Texas Hold 'Em until game time

$70 all the food and beer you can handle

I remember watching the superbowl in 'Famous Sam's' in Phoenix. About 50 telly's and that game where you predict the next play. (Short pass left, run right, run middle etc). There was 4 of us there, myself and 3 lads over from Ireland visiting. We started at about 1pm and left at 9 o'clock that night. Some session. The girl behind the bar gave us the big inflatable miller 'Superbowl' blimp, because we drank and ate so much. We probably tipped her way too much as well.

Gabriel_Hurl

We do something like this in the local pub - each person buys a box for $10 and their name is put into it - and there's 100 boxes - so there's a prize pool of $1000.

The person who has the box with the correct score at the end of each quarter wins - so say the score after the first quarter is 10 - 7 to the Giants - then the winner is the box who has 0 in the Giants score and 7 in the Patriots score (see the tick mark)

The numbers along the top and bottom are not drawn (randomly out of a hat) until all the boxes are full.

Prizes are dished out at the end of each quarter - $200 after 1, another $200 at half time, another $200 after 3 - and $400 for the final score

AZOffaly

Yep Gab, that's what we're doing in the pub in Newport as well. €5 a square. €100 at the end of the 1st quarter, €100 at half time and €300 for the end of the 4th quarter.