American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZOffaly

Alright deiseach. Excuse my usual long windedness.

Brady's drive in that game was noteworthy because he brought them from their own 17 yard line to the Rams 30, which was 53 yards, in 1 minute 17 seconds, with no timeouts under intense pressure. When you are operating with no timeouts, it is incumbant on the QB to make big plays because, unlike college football, the clock will not stop unless the receiver goes out of bounds with the ball under his own power, i.e. runs out of bounds to stop the clock, or else with a penalty or incomplete pass. Obviously too many incomplete passes means you won't make the requisite yards, while penalties will back you up.

Also, in that situation, a running play is more or less off the radar, because the defences will likely tackle the man in bounds, thus running time off the clock as the ball is reset, people get in position etc. So, to recap, under intense pressure in the last minute of a Superbowl, Brady had to throw passes which would allow his receiver get out of bounds after the catch, while the Rams defence were waiting for this to happen.

It was a supreme piece of play-calling, execution and clock management. When they reached the 30 with his last pass, a 16 yarder to Wiggins, Wiggins never got out of bounds, so Brady had to hurry his lads up to the line, get them all set and spike the ball (intentional incomplete pass, with no sack threat) with about 3 seconds left. For a young man in his first Superbowl, it was ice cool and a fantastic drive.

There have been other brilliant Drives to win Superbowls, Montana had one against Cincinatti I think, when he marched up the field to win the game on a pass to Taylor, if I remember rightly, but none with such a raw QB.

Gabriel_Hurl

You are correct about that Montana drive AZ - it's still shown on some sport shows here as one of the best moments in NFL history

deiseach

Long windedness is good. Thanks for that, AZ

thejuice

I think AZoffaly covered everything I was going to say. The big thing about it is, the defense know that your options are limited at this stage. They wont have to worry about stopping the run so much, can back off a bit and make sure the sidelines are well covered. For a guy playing in his first Superbowl, its even more remarkable. Most lads would cack themselves. It was reminiscent of Kevin Foleys goal against the Dubs in 91  ;D

Two great QBs of the future were on display last night. Tony Romo and Jason Cambell. Romo is reminding me of Brett Favre, Cambell could have led the Skins to an unlikely win but for some rookie errors and great pressure from Ware at DE for the Cowboys. Cambell doesnt have a target like Terrell Owens that Romo has, not that the Skins WR corps are bad, Randel -El and McCardell are good players but not like TO where its nearly always a serious mis-match. (By the way does anyone think TO has changed, he is preaching being a team-player and thanking God, but did hint at being "under-apprechiated". Does that translate into "Im not getting paid enough" or what)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

heganboy

I'm a Brady fan, mostly because he's been winning me money this year, however I think that brady has a huge advantage over every other quarterback in the league right now, his receiving unit is unbelievable. It is so far ahead of every other team in the league its not funny. This is not an argument against Brady, some of his play this year has been great (the faked spike made me laugh out loud)however if you look at a group of maybe 5/6 others there's maybe not as much in it. Favre has been great this year, but he has ridden his luck many times for game winners, peyton has had huge numbers of passes dropped by mediocre receivers, and his number one target is injured. Big ben is playing very well and his pocket play is improved no end. Romo is having a laugh, similar story to brady plucked from obscurity and now likely to make at least the nfc championship game (helps that he has TO on form). And just to add a controversial one, Eli Manning, palying in the goldfish bowl that is the Giants obsessed new york media, he came in as the number one pick and refused to play for the team that drafted him, forcing a trade to new york. Has dealt well with coaching and is having a great year despite crap receiving unit and a poor offensive line. Tikki barber opening his giant mouth about eli was the best thing to happen to him all year.
So to summarise (finally) Tom Brady best QB in the league? Maybe, just maybe
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

Puckoon

Quote from: stew on November 19, 2007, 02:09:15 PM
Brady is the second best quarterback of all time behind Favre. i am no packer fan but favre has destroyed all records and brady is on pace to eclipse even him.

Montana was a great player on a great team, to me he is fourth all time behind Elway and brady and Favre. Favre has not often had the surrounding cast in his time but he is a natural born winner and I have never seen his equal.

manning would be 5th at this stage, the game between the two big guns this year proved that Brady, although not at his best could still get the job done whereas manning has sputtered since and the team is struggling.

Favre has an average packeer team 9-1 at age 38, now that is amazing but Brady is the leagues best player by a country mile. ;D

Stew, you absolutely nailed my own opinion right on the head. Favre has done most of his record breaking on his own. Imagine if he had Bradys receiving options for one or two seasons past.

For me Brady is a born winner, when you watch him make a small mistake, he reacts like its the biggest mistake in the superbowl. He fights against himself and his will to succeed and win has played a large part in him becomming on of the best all  time quarterbacks.

stew

Quote from: heganboy on November 19, 2007, 02:42:07 PM
I'm a Brady fan, mostly because he's been winning me money this year, however I think that brady has a huge advantage over every other quarterback in the league right now, his receiving unit is unbelievable. It is so far ahead of every other team in the league its not funny. This is not an argument against Brady, some of his play this year has been great (the faked spike made me laugh out loud)however if you look at a group of maybe 5/6 others there's maybe not as much in it. Favre has been great this year, but he has ridden his luck many times for game winners, peyton has had huge numbers of passes dropped by mediocre receivers, and his number one target is injured. Big ben is playing very well and his pocket play is improved no end. Romo is having a laugh, similar story to brady plucked from obscurity and now likely to make at least the nfc championship game (helps that he has TO on form). And just to add a controversial one, Eli Manning, palying in the goldfish bowl that is the Giants obsessed new york media, he came in as the number one pick and refused to play for the team that drafted him, forcing a trade to new york. Has dealt well with coaching and is having a great year despite crap receiving unit and a poor offensive line. Tikki barber opening his giant mouth about eli was the best thing to happen to him all year.
So to summarise (finally) Tom Brady best QB in the league? Maybe, just maybe

Brady is light years ahead of everyone else this year, he is on pace to destroy the most coveted record in football and his td to interception ratio is incredible. He has a tremendous wr unit but this is the first year he has ever had such a potent unit and his first two superbowl wins were won with average wide receivers.

Forget the best in the league........maybe and see him for what he is and what he will be if he wins it all again this year, the best ever qb in NFL ever.

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: heganboy on November 19, 2007, 02:42:07 PM
I'm a Brady fan, mostly because he's been winning me money this year, however I think that brady has a huge advantage over every other quarterback in the league right now, his receiving unit is unbelievable.

It is this year. Previously though the Pats have had a fairly modest set of receivers but Brady still won Superbowls with them. I don't think he's the flashiest QB ever or even the most naturally gifted but the guy is just a machine. No QB works harder than he does. None of them are as smart as he is.

heganboy

Quotethe best ever qb in NFL ever

Brady may well achieve more than any other QB ever in the NFL, bit does that make him the best ever? For me best ever is most talented, not who achieves the most in the league. Maurice Fitz was way better than Pat Spillane, but Pat has more medals. better example may be (and this from an Armagh man) Frank McGuigan and Justin McNulty, Justy has a celtic cross in his pocket, doesn't make him the better player...
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

GY Joe

Quote from: heganboy on November 19, 2007, 05:17:01 PM

Brady may well achieve more than any other QB ever in the NFL, bit does that make him the best ever? For me best ever is most talented, not who achieves the most in the league. Maurice Fitz was way better than Pat Spillane, but Pat has more medals. better example may be (and this from an Armagh man) Frank McGuigan and Justin McNulty, Justy has a celtic cross in his pocket, doesn't make him the better player...

Well, Heganboy, at some point you have to get off the fence on this. Yes, there maybe were QBs who are more talented than Thomas Brady. There is an argument that Manning is better, and I can see why they say that, for the long bomb, he is the man. Sweet pinpoint passes that look gorgeous. But I think that what lads are saying here i.e "iceman, machine, smart, presence, calculations..."  etc etc etc should really tell you that the man is more than the sum of his parts. He is the best.

Its been great for me this year as a Boston sports fan to see the level of interest in the NFL and in particular Brady and the Pats because from the day he came in for Bledsoe, I just thought that this kid had 'something'. And that Superbowl winning drive that AZ described against the Rams was incredible for a rookie. Remember John Madden saying that they should spike the ball and look to win in OT!!!
I happen to think that last year was his best season.. up to now anyway,  Pioli and Belicheck recognised that and got him the bullets that his guns deserved and you see the results.
The American press in General still didnt rate Brady after that 2001 win, I could not get over that lack of excitement about a guy who I thought was unreal. Doesnt matter what sport you follow, class usually distinguishes itself and from day one he had class written all over him... The best bit, he just keeps getting better..

magickingdom

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on November 19, 2007, 02:27:25 PM
and here's the drive itself

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=QtktAeu2tQQ

that was class, montana, rice, taylor and bill walsh all legends. i was lovin it till 4.30 in and who do i see but steve young ahHHHH! the greatest qb ever (brady has a bit to go) and the most overratted qb ever on the one team...

Puckoon

Blistering start by denver here. 14-0 5 mins left in first quarter.

stew

Quote from: heganboy on November 19, 2007, 05:17:01 PM

Heganboy montana had arguably the best receiver to play the game in his prime, it is only this year that Brady has had a team of studs and he has been amazing. he has three rings so far, will win a fourth this year and he is only 30. This guy has it all, he is a lot like Favre, not flashy but a tremendous force out there where it matters most. between the ears, and he is better than Favre by far in that category.

This is a golden era for quarterbacks in this league. manning is phenominal as is Favre and Brady, Romo is coming along nicely and there are several really young quarterbacks that are top notch.

The packers have a man on deck who will be as good as any out there in two yers time. aaron rogers, you heard it here first. :)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

thejuice

Jason Cambell from the Skins is going to be a great QB. Its quite funny when you look at all the last no 1 draft picks that were QBs. Some of the m raise a few eyebrows.

2007 JaMarcus Russell         Oakland Raiders
2006 Mario Williams             Houston Texans
2005 Alex Smith                 San Francisco 49ers
2004 Eli Manning                San Diego Chargers
2003 Carson Palmer            Cincinnati Bengals
2002 David Carr                 Houston Texans
2001 Michael Vick               Atlanta Falcons
2000 Courtney Brown         Cleveland Browns
1999 Tim Couch                Cleveland Browns
1998 Peyton Manning         Indianapolis Colts
1997 Orlando Pace             St. Louis Rams
1996 Keyshawn Johnson     New York Jets
1995 Ki-Jana Carter             Cincinnati Bengals
1994 Dan Wilkinson            Cincinnati Bengals
1993 Drew Bledsoe            New England Patriots
1992 Steve Emtman           Indianapolis Colts
1991 Russell Maryland           Dallas Cowboys
1990 Jeff George                 Indianapolis Colts
1989 *Troy Aikman              Dallas Cowboys  
1988 Aundray Bruce              Atlanta Falcons
1987 Vinny Testaverde         Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1986 Bo Jackson                  Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1985 Bruce Smith                 Buffalo Bills
1984 Irving Fryar                  New England Patriots
1983 *John Elway               Baltimore Colts
1982 Kenneth Sims             New England Patriots
1981 George Rogers            New Orleans Saints
1980 Bill Sims                      Detroit Lions
1979 Tom Cousineau            Buffalo Bills
1978 *Earl Campbell              Houston Oilers
1977 Ricky Bell                     Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1976 *Lee Roy Selmon         Tampa Bay Buccaneers
1975 Steve Bartkowski         Atlanta Falcons  
1974 Ed 'Too Tall' Jones      Dallas Cowboys  
1973 John Matuszak            Houston Oilers
1972 Walt Patulski              Buffalo Bills
1971 Jim Plunkett              New England Patriots
1970 *Terry Bradshaw        Pittsburgh Steelers
1969 *O.J. Simpson            Buffalo Bills
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016