American Sports Thread

Started by magickingdom, October 28, 2007, 06:02:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrinkingHarp

Quote from: 5 Sams on October 30, 2007, 02:56:54 PM
I remember watching a pitcher in a Major League game throwing a high looping ball that dropped right on top of home plate and the batter couldnt get near it. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming??

5 Sams
Sounds like the pitcher threw a Knuckle Ball Pitch  (real name). The pitcher grips the ball with his knuckles just above the finger nail and lets loose.
The rotation that comes from this pitch is insane, it can drop or move left/right more than 12 inches. But the real problem with the pitch is control, half the time you don't where the ball is going to end up.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

Galwaybhoy

I see TV3 have got the Irish rights to the NFL.  Great news I though until I seen their "NFL Game Day" show is not on until 12:15am.  Too bad they couldnt put it on at a better time and try to get people interested in the sport.  Also they wont be showing any live games as far as I know, well other than the Superbowl in Arizona.

turk

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 01, 2007, 01:06:30 PM
I see TV3 have got the Irish rights to the NFL.  Great news I though until I seen their "NFL Game Day" show is not on until 12:15am.  Too bad they couldnt put it on at a better time and try to get people interested in the sport.  Also they wont be showing any live games as far as I know, well other than the Superbowl in Arizona.

Brilliant,

trevor Welsh and Aidan Cooney and a load of lads squeezed in behind a desk

Don

Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 30, 2007, 08:06:21 PM
I remember watching a pitcher in a Major League game throwing a high looping ball that dropped right on top of home plate and the batter couldnt get near it. Has anyone else seen this or was I dreaming??

5 Sams
Sounds like the pitcher threw a Knuckle Ball Pitch  (real name). The pitcher grips the ball with his knuckles just above the finger nail and lets loose.
The rotation that comes from this pitch is insane, it can drop or move left/right more than 12 inches. But the real problem with the pitch is control, half the time you don't where the ball is going to end up.

Tim Wakefield of the Red Sox one of the last remaining few guys that pitch this way

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Don on November 01, 2007, 03:49:41 PM
Quote from: DrinkingHarp on October 30, 2007, 08:06:21 PM

5 Sams

Tim Wakefield of the Red Sox one of the last remaining few guys that pitch this way

is that the pitch that El duque Hernandez does ?

AZOffaly

I think Hernandez has the knuckleball in his repertoire, but it's not his only pitch. I think he is more of a standard pitcher, although he has a huge high leg kick before the pitches. He has a nasty, nasty curveball.

hitzelsperger

El Duques curve ball is quality, seen him in action last summer...not many hit one of his curvers on the inside!

AZOffaly

It's one of the class things in baseball, watching a big league hitter absolutely frozen stiff, or better yet buckling at the knees, when he faces a brutal curve ball. Some of them are just nasty. the ability/inability to hit a curveball / breaking ball is probably the biggest differentiator between someone who is going to make a career as a hitter in the majors, and someone who is destined for a life of minor league bus trips.

magickingdom

will this effect sky sports showing live games?

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: magickingdom on November 01, 2007, 07:52:10 PM

will this effect sky sports showing live games?

No, not that I know of anyway.  I'd watch it on Sky Sports before TV3 anyway, knowing TV3, it will be a poor effort, Sky do a very good job imo.  Not that it matters because I dont think TV3 will be showing any other full matches anyway, think they are only showing the highlights show.

Balboa

I think we are pretty spoilt as regards NFL action on Sky, 2/3 live matches, NFL Network several times a week,Americas Game on Saturday morning etc. A long way from an hours highlights on Channel 4 all those years ago.

Galwaybhoy

Quote from: Balboa on November 01, 2007, 10:18:10 PM
I think we are pretty spoilt as regards NFL action on Sky, 2/3 live matches, NFL Network several times a week,Americas Game on Saturday morning etc. A long way from an hours highlights on Channel 4 all those years ago.

We are spoilt.  That NFL show thats on Tuesday to Saturday, Highlights show on Monday and Tuesday, that "Who Is" show, some playbook show and as you say Americas Game, which I rarely get to see but is very interesting.  Sky are doing a great job, even if that Nick Halling lad annoys me for some reason.

deiseach

Quote from: Galwaybhoy on November 01, 2007, 11:19:45 PM
Sky are doing a great job, even if that Nick Halling lad annoys me for some reason.

He tries so hard to be American in his mannerisms. Gary Imlach is much more at ease with, well, not being American.

magpie seanie

Quoteeven if that Nick Halling lad annoys me for some reason.

I thought it was just me. Deisach is right - he tries too hard to be a yank.

Balboa

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 02, 2007, 10:03:31 AM
Quoteeven if that Nick Halling lad annoys me for some reason.

I thought it was just me. Deisach is right - he tries too hard to be a yank.

Aye he is a bit of a pleb, ,Mike Carlson, who used to be on Channel 5 is far better, there isnt really anything he doesent know and he is pretty funny.