Longford
Offaly
Sligo
Westmeath
Wexford

Shamrock Shore

Quote from: FermGael on January 29, 2018, 09:54:07 AM
Could Derry be in a spot of bother ?

The jury will have a fair idea after Derry's trip to Longford next Sunday. I don't think we're dragging them to Ballymahon as we did a few years ago  ;D

FermGael

Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2018, 09:57:32 AM

Possibly. We have a new management team who want to put their own stamp on things so they've left out a few lads and brought in some young lads too. Along with that the missing Slaughtneil contingent doesn't help things.

Promotion should be our main aim but I think that will quickly change to survival!

Seen your line up and didn't know too many on it.
It's a very hard division to get out off.  Very physical and a steep learning curve for young players.
You need a few experienced heads.
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

TheOptimist

Quote from: FermGael on January 29, 2018, 10:06:54 AM
Quote from: screenexile on January 29, 2018, 09:57:32 AM

Possibly. We have a new management team who want to put their own stamp on things so they've left out a few lads and brought in some young lads too. Along with that the missing Slaughtneil contingent doesn't help things.

Promotion should be our main aim but I think that will quickly change to survival!

Seen your line up and didn't know too many on it.
It's a very hard division to get out off.  Very physical and a steep learning curve for young players.
You need a few experienced heads.

One of our most experienced heads got sent off when we were a man up and looked like pushing on yesterday  ::)

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: stew on January 28, 2018, 11:13:56 PM
Quote from: T Fearon on January 28, 2018, 10:59:53 PM
Interesting to see if the Westmeath County Board will welcome Armagh's "horrendous" fans to the Dunnes Stores Arena in Mullingar next Sunday.We promise not to intimidate the natives nor drink the pubs of Mullingar dry like we did last July😂

Bunch of crying bitches! hope they get the result they deserve, Armagh by five points.

2 solid contributions from 2 of the most esteemed members of the board.

Decent trip up to Derry yesterday, a win always helps with a 10 hour day like that. Less said about the referee the better, if he's not a headmaster from a Christian Brother school in the 70s he has missed his vocation in life. Gave Westmeath a penalty for a jersey tug in the area that is never given in the first minute. Balanced that out with a penalty award in the last minute that no one knows what was for. And in between blew for decisions that seemed to be based on flipping a coin to decide which way to award them. Sent lads to the line for minor indiscretions too, when it wasn't really a double yellows kind of game. Threw a couple of them out as well for two text book shoulders. The assessor probably gave him top marks.

The football when it was allowed to occur wasn't bad. Carberry mixed some poor kickouts with some outstanding saves including the penalty right at the end that would have drawn the game. Boidu looks the part in the corner, reminiscent of John Keane back in the noughties. Heslin and Jimmy did well in the half back line and midfield but the rest of that sector needs improvement. Half forward line is very strong. Ger Egan and the Bear battered the Derry defence all day, great heart and leadership shown by the pair of them. Ronan O'Toole had a solid debut buzzing about there as well, a solid addition to the panel. Luke and Callum look a good pairing inside and took some fine scores. Callum particularly. If David Clifford had scored 2 of the points Callum scored yesterday the whole of League Sunday would have been devoted to him. Back to goal, under savage pressure and still managed to get his foot around the ball a couple of times. I don't think he's missed a score-able chance since the start of the year, bit of work to do on his first touch but starting the year with a bang.

That should set us up for a right crack at promotion now as that was our toughest away trip and we have 4 games left at home. Right clanger to come in Cusack Park next Sunday, if we get something out of that game we'll be well set up.
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mackers

Quote from: Croí na hÉireann on January 29, 2018, 10:15:25 AM
Right clanger to come in Cusack Park next Sunday, if we get something out of that game we'll be well set up.
I would say the same from an Armagh perspective.  We were very lucky to come away with a win last summer (although the refereeing that evening still lives in the memory).  Sligo were very poor but we put them away in a manner that Armagh teams tend not to do but next Sunday promises to be one of our bigger tests (along with our trip to Fermanagh imo).
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 29, 2018, 10:05:35 AM

The jury will have a fair idea after Derry's trip to Longford next Sunday. I don't think we're dragging them to Ballymahon as we did a few years ago  ;D

Ah, the memories.   ;D
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Shamrock Shore

Indeed Billy.

Derry got horrid annoyed at looking across the pitch and seeing cows staring at them. The stand was basically a lean-to.

Mickey Moran was bullin afterwards - refused to shake hands with the victorious Longford boys. There was a Derry poster on here at the time took umbrage as well. Da Bishop methinks.

Billys Boots

That was the day Jamesie Martin played well. 

The only day. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Captain Obvious

All too easy for Armagh yesterday, last year missed out on promotion with the last kick of the game in round 7 this year I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh are promoted before round 7.

Wildweasel74

John Heslin is a rolls Royce of a player; thats a number of times i seen him live now, if he was playing for Dublin; Mayo or Kerry they be having him up their with the superstars of the game! More ability than Murphy; O'Shea;  all the dublin forwards except Connolly; some players like him only end up like John Galvin; Great players we dont get to see on the tail end of championship time! and only real gaa die supporters from other counties will remember!

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: Captain Obvious on January 29, 2018, 07:52:17 PM
All too easy for Armagh yesterday, last year missed out on promotion with the last kick of the game in round 7 this year I wouldn't be surprised if Armagh are promoted before round 7.

Your quote brings to mind a great line from Winston Wolfe in Pulp Fiction when the lads admire the job they have done, cleaning up the car. Yesterday's match gives no real insight into how Armagh will go this year. My sense would be that next week will give a clearer understanding. With the players that have opted out this year, I feel our odds on winning promotion are a lot longer than last year. We got out of jail in Mullingar during the Summer and I'd guess we will do well to come out undefeated this time.   

illdecide

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on January 29, 2018, 08:26:14 PM
John Heslin is a rolls Royce of a player; thats a number of times i seen him live now, if he was playing for Dublin; Mayo or Kerry they be having him up their with the superstars of the game! More ability than Murphy; O'Shea;  all the dublin forwards except Connolly; some players like him only end up like John Galvin; Great players we dont get to see on the tail end of championship time! and only real gaa die supporters from other counties will remember!

I agree to a certain extent, he's an excellent player and I wish he was an Armagh man. WM have 3 or 4 top notch players and i wouldn't be surprised to see them beat Armagh on Sunday, i have tipped them for promotion and I believe the winners of Sundays match will get one of the 2 promotion places. Armagh can win in Mullingar but it will be difficult and if they do i'll expect them to have 8pts from their first four games...Sunday is a big one alright...

P.S. Please change them old wooden seats in that stand...brutal and the most uncomfortable seats in Ireland ;)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

armaghniac

Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2018, 09:48:44 AM
P.S. Please change them old wooden seats in that stand...brutal and the most uncomfortable seats in Ireland ;)

Now the competition for the worst seats would be a very competitive league.
Last time in Mullingar the weather was perfect, this might not be true on Sunday.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tonto1888

Quote from: armaghniac on January 30, 2018, 10:38:48 AM
Quote from: illdecide on January 30, 2018, 09:48:44 AM

Now the competition for the worst seats would be a very competitive league.
Last time in Mullingar the weather was perfect, this might not be true on Sunday.

Yup, gonna need to get there early to get under cover

Patrick-Armagh

Armagh had a good win on Sunday against a young and inexperienced Sligo side. We were clinical in taking our chances, hit some great scores from range, tackled well and forced a number of turnovers. It will be interesting to see if we can repeat this sort of performance on Sunday against Westmeath. They should have beaten us in the summer and no doubt they will want to get one over on us and push for promotion. The loss of James Morgan, Stefan Campbell, Jamie Clarke and Oisin O'Neill will be more keenly felt in games like this. While our full forward line scored a hatful on Sunday, I'd be interested to see if they can operate in the same way in Mullingar. If we can win that, then we will be doing very well, with more tough games to come.