Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Have to say im not surprised the leave side have carried through, i said on this thread about a month ago the majority i met day to day were voting leave and yesterday was like a bank holiday with people trying to get of London to vote in their home constituencies all over England .  The remain side were way too complacent and Labour have a lot to answer for hiding Corbyn away and not putting some of their other leaders on the front line until it was way too late.

imtommygunn

Quote from: NAG1 on June 24, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 09:41:44 AM
Sf are already talking about it.

It's a result which may possibly suit them and definitely suits the snp.

Is this the reason why SF were conspicuous by the absence from the campaign trail? Not to their usual level of campaigning IMO?

Most likely i think.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 24, 2016, 08:26:44 AM
The Republic is the only English speaking member of the EU now. I wonder will that have any bearing on US investment?

Christ the Dutch speak better English ffs!!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

AZOffaly

Yeah, but they don't have a  12.5% corporation tax. Multi nationals who deal in the EU will have to look at leaving the UK now. They may not leave, but they'll have to look at it. If they do, Ireland would be a very logical landing spot.

general_lee

Quote from: No wides on June 24, 2016, 09:19:30 AM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 08:35:17 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:31:08 AM
Quote from: general_lee on June 24, 2016, 08:20:28 AM
Sterling dropped 8.4% overnight when 1% is usually considered substantial.
Quote from: theskull1 on June 24, 2016, 08:17:21 AM
A lot of people running around yelling that the sky IS falling.

Yes
Trying to work out how much folk prophesying their own doom is actually bringing it about.
Well the top 100 companies in the UK have gone down in value by £180bn and it's not yet 9am. If anything it was the Leave campaign that was prophesying the doom!

Recovered from 8% down on the FTSE now 4% down, Japan, Europe and US stock markets all worse off today - these things will stabilize.  Don't panic!
Is that you Nigel!?

mick999

Declan

I do kinda get it though... adhering to those shady backroom deals in Brussels would be like having an unelected head of state.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: thejuice on June 24, 2016, 07:17:24 AM
Loving in England I can tell you the Leave voters were not that bothered by the economics. This referendum was about other things for the leave voters. the remain side only wanted to discuss economics while leave wanted to discuss other things.

As I've said before and alluded to in my last post, across the "west" left and right have diverged so far I think democracy is looking unviable, when the differences in choice are so stark and the margins quite narrow.

I don't know what solutions there are besides getting the pen out and start redrawing the maps. Well we could also do tyranny or war.

Agreed on the leave voters, would like to see what % of people with a mortgage wanted to leave; I doubt it was anywhere near 30%.

doodaa

Quote from: mick999 on June 24, 2016, 10:40:09 AM

+100% spike in UK searches for "getting an Irish passport" after #Brexit vote

https://www.google.com/trends/explore#q=irish%20passport&geo=GB&date=now%207-d&cmpt=q&tz=Etc%2FGMT%2B7

Mine is just out of date, must get it renewed ASAP!

Applesisapples

Donald Trump thinks it's a great thing so it must be intellectual powerhouse that he is.

Aaron Boone

Her Majesty sees off her 12th Prime Minister.

general_lee

Quote from: Declan on June 24, 2016, 10:54:51 AM
I do kinda get it though... adhering to those shady backroom deals in Brussels would be like having an unelected head of state.
As a nationalist in the north I absolutely could not give one fûck when it comes to UK sovereignty.

MoChara

Quote from: Applesisapples on June 24, 2016, 10:06:33 AM
SF can posture all they like on a border poll, and the is all it is posturing. The fact seems to be at the moment a sizeable section of the formerly nationalist community have accepted the union, the fleg and gongs from the Queen. This has been reinforced by SF rolling over at every turn to DUP demands.

As you say a sizable amount have accepted the British union and the trimmings it comes with because they believe they are better off financially within it, I don't think they've coem round to a British Identity though, the push on a Northern Irish Identity is probably helping it head that way though.

This is a fickle and self serving part of the population though, if the financial allure isn't with Britain then they aren't either

Ulick

Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 10:16:23 AM
Quote from: NAG1 on June 24, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on June 24, 2016, 09:41:44 AM
Sf are already talking about it.

It's a result which may possibly suit them and definitely suits the snp.

Is this the reason why SF were conspicuous by the absence from the campaign trail? Not to their usual level of campaigning IMO?

Most likely i think.

More likely they couldn't members to go out and campaign for it.  Very prominent SF supporters north and south we're very vocal for leave e.g. Eoin Ó Murchú and Jude Collins. I was for leave myself until the Jo Cox murder but I was never going to canvass for remain. 

imtommygunn

Why did the Jo Cox murder change your mind?