The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

The background to the case that I have heard is -

there was one fatality, a suspect that the cop was pursuing in a high speed chase.

Suspect drove his car into an oncoming truck/van, during the pursuit, killing himself and injuring the truckdriver.

The twist comes with this - the chase actually occurred in a built up, high population area. The local PD's own policies prohibit engaging in high speed pursuits in this area because of the high likelihood of accidents like this.

The premise then is, that the officer realised he had broken policy, and then decided to check if the truck driver was DUI - if so, he could pass it off as a regular traffic accident rather than one he "caused" himself by engaging in the pursuit.

All that is not proven, and my source is the "Majority Report" which is a left leaning radio show, so take it with whatever grains of salt.

Whatever the circumstances, the nurse was following guidelines which clearly protect the constitutional rights of a patient. I find it highly ironic that so many on the right, who claim the Constitution as sacred, have clearly no problem with it being violated as long as it is a law officer doing so.

That is not a dig at you Puck, I understand where you are coming from, but I do believe that blind adherence to the police's authority without question is a one way ticket to a fascist state. Power corrupts, the police are human beings, and if you give them basically unlimited power (such as Whitey's example of not arguing even if he knew he was right) then you are not going to get a good outcome.

I'm also going to make an assumption that the vast majority of US living or former US posters here are white. As such, hearing you all saying that you never had any trouble with the police in the US, and by that extrapolating that minorities should just obey the cops, like ye did,  is like listening to a Monty Python sketch. But not in a funny way.

AZOffaly

easytiger, I'm not sure this is a 'constitutional right' per se. It appears to be, rather, a sort of memorandum of understanding between the hospitals in Utah, and the Police. I'm not sure, for example, that an FBI agent would be bound by it, or if it is the same in Arizona or anywhere else.

"Wubbels presented the officers with a printout of the hospital's policy for drawing blood and said their request did not meet the criteria. Hospital policy specified that before obtaining a blood sample, police needed a judge's order or the patient's consent, or the patient needed to be under arrest.
The university and Salt Lake City police had agreed to the policy more than a year ago, but "the officers here appeared to be unaware of" it during the July incident, Wubbels' attorney, Karra Porter, said Friday."

easytiger95

I'm sure that while it would not be "per se", the hospital would have concerns that they would be open to charges of violating patients constitutional rights if they did not institute the policy that they have.

AZOffaly

I'm sure that's why they did it. Either way the cop was an asshole.  Ironic that he was also a part time medic!

bennydorano

See Fox News has disappeared of the Sky platform in the UK.

seafoid

Quote from: whitey on September 08, 2017, 02:51:13 AM
Quote from: Eamonnca1 on September 08, 2017, 01:33:49 AM
I did not say that the law should not be enforced. That is the precise opposite of what I said.

Nor did I say that all police do not respect the law. But it's reasonable to say that given their power of life and death, their fear-based reactions, their lack of training in non lethal force, and their near zero accountability, at this point the police are a bigger threat to public safety than the terrorists.

Lifetime odds of being killed by:
Police officer: 1 in 8,359
Foreign born terrorist: 1 in 45,808
Refugee terrorist: 1 in 46,192,893
Illegal immigrant terrorist: 1 in 138,324, 873

Source

What are the lifetime odds of being killed by a police officer if you just obey the fvckin law?
In America 10x the Irish rate

Eamonnca1

I did not say that the law should not be enforced. That is the precise opposite of what I said.

Nor did I say that all police do not respect the law. But it's reasonable to say that given their power of life and death, their fear-based reactions, their lack of training in non lethal force, and their near zero accountability, at this point the police are a bigger threat to public safety than the terrorists.

Source

What are the lifetime odds of being killed by a police officer if you just obey the fvckin law?

It varies by skin colour.

whitey

Quote from: seafoid on September 08, 2017, 02:32:17 PM

Source

In America 10x the Irish rate

There's lies, damn lies and there's statistics.....

The town I grew up in Ireland has had 6 murders in the past 10 years

The town I live in in Massachusetts has had 0 murders in the past 10 years....and has half the population

Statistically I have a 1200% greater chance of getting murdered in my hometown than in the town I currently live in.

Eamonnca1

I used to live in Sunnyvale, something like the 6th safest city in America. That must mean America doesn't have a crime problem.

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 08, 2017, 11:31:25 AM
I'm sure that's why they did it. Either way the cop was an asshole.  Ironic that he was also a part time medic!

Correct, that cop was a complete arsehole.

I hope she sues the PD, the only way some of these tubes will learn is if they are raked over the coals, if he costs them money, he will be raked over said coals.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

heganboy

Mathematics Whitey mathematics.
Not even close to being correct
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

whitey

Quote from: heganboy on September 09, 2017, 02:07:26 PM
Mathematics Whitey mathematics.
Not even close to being correct

Haha...I know...it's 300 %

Franko

whitey

Quote from: Franko on September 09, 2017, 07:05:02 PM