Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aghdavoyle

I'll decide... who's slagging "the big four"? it's funny that i don't actually remember any of the big 4 winniing a championship.

lurganblue

Quote from: Aghdavoyle on January 10, 2007, 04:53:47 PM

I'll decide... who's slagging "the big four"? it's funny that i don't actually remember any of the big 4 winniing a championship.

you must be very young then

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Uladh on January 10, 2007, 10:59:27 AM

who have you got a smaller pick than bc?

i don't think you have better footballers, but i believe you have more grade a footballers.

for example, cross have about 8 grade a footballers and 7 grade b.

dromintee have maybe 6 grade a, 6 grade b and 3 grade c.

harps have maybe 4 grade a, 6 grade b and 5 grade c.

the grading thing is obviously off the top of my head but you get the gist.
At last some sense! (You're still a grumpy bollocks though). 
Cross are not magical the reason why they are dominating is down to two things. One, a massive pick (in terms of GAA heads) and bigger than any other club in armagh. Two,  there's nothing else to do but play football.  It's very simple.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Horatio Kane

Quote from: bennydorano on January 10, 2007, 03:01:33 PM
Regarding the Harps, it's no co-incidence that the last time we were winning championships we had a team of nasty hoors, off course allied with class players with a good attitude.  Recent harps teams have been far too nice for their own good.

I disagree benny...the biggest thing they had was commitment,pride in the jersey, plus respect for each other and management (even when wrong).
That was a sound basis on which to build a team.

The current squad has a considerable number who have NONE of the above.

armaghniac

The potential pick is not so far out of line, there is an average of 1600 people or so per club in Armagh, Cross have perhaps 2000? The Armagh city clubs have more and and the likes of Keady as many. The question of what else there is to do may be more important as the GAA in Upper Creggan gets the full use of that pick without even road bowls to compete. Other comments on this thread suggest that other clubs with big potential populations are getting the underage players, but are not getting a strong senior team from this. Cross' is just a size where there is the basis of a good team, yet everyone still knows everyone else and there is a close identification with the club. Its a bit like the intercounty scene, Kerry have the tradition and the organisation, some lack of alternatives and the expectation of success. This continues to bring them the players that keep the success going. However a county with a big pick like Cork or Dublin should win some and a well organised county with a smaller pick like Offaly or Armagh will make the breakthrough from time to time.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

pintsofguinness

QuoteThe potential pick is not so far out of line, there is an average of 1600 people or so per club in Armagh, Cross have perhaps 2000?
I doubt those figures are a bit dodgy armaghnicac.

EDIT
Amazing what you can find on google!
According to 2001 census Cross had a population of 1,459 and I assume that's not including the surrounding area.  Now most of Creggan is Cross terrority, it has a population of 246 people. 

An average of 1600 per club seems high too. 
According to 2001 census...
Silverbridge has a population of 165
Cullyhanna - 306
Cullaville - 276
Mullaghbane - 402
Joneborough - 273  (Near forgot about the Dromintee whores)
Again, I'd imagine that includes only the villages themselves and not the surrounding areas but it shows the difference.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Shut up that must be what the brits call it.

holylandsniper

QuoteCross had a population of 1,459
That doesnt affect the cross team does it? ;) ;D

Orior

Pint, as far as I know, the village actually straddles the border. Its called Cullaville north of the border, and Culloville south of the border.

Maybe trueblue can confirm.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Orior on January 10, 2007, 11:26:46 PM
Pint, as far as I know, the village actually straddles the border. Its called Cullaville north of the border, and Culloville south of the border.

Maybe trueblue can confirm.
No it doesn't straddle the border, you've to go a good bit out of it to cross the border.

armaghniac

Pint, the 1600 figure was a very rough division of the nationalist population of Armagh divided by the number of clubs, I wasn't suggesting that other neighbouring clubs to Cross had this population.

The NI census has EDs and wards, I haven't yet found a map of the EDs, but the ward called Crossmaglen comprises most of the Rangers catchment and all of Cullaville. This happy district has 2918, I suppose Cullaville can claim a 1000 of those.

http://search2.nics.gov.uk/highlighter/highlighter?qt=crossmaglen&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk%2Fcensus%2FGeography%2Fmaps%2Fnewrymourne%2Fcrossmaglen.htm

Their Creggan ward has 2631, I expect some of these think of themselves as Bridge people, Cullyhanna fans and some as Rangers supporters.
http://search2.nics.gov.uk/highlighter/highlighter?qt=creggan+ward&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nisranew.nisra.gov.uk%2Fcensus%2FGeography%2Fmaps%2Fnewrymourne%2Fcreggan.htm

If you had a map of EDs (or list of townlands) you could work out the club catchment areas pretty exactly.

Culloville, Co Monaghan  starts 100m from the Cullaville Co Armagh stadium.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on January 10, 2007, 08:01:16 PM
QuoteThe potential pick is not so far out of line, there is an average of 1600 people or so per club in Armagh, Cross have perhaps 2000?
I doubt those figures are a bit dodgy armaghnicac.

EDIT
Amazing what you can find on google!
According to 2001 census Cross had a population of 1,459 and I assume that's not including the surrounding area.  Now most of Creggan is Cross terrority, it has a population of 246 people. 

An average of 1600 per club seems high too. 
According to 2001 census...
Silverbridge has a population of 165
Cullyhanna - 306
Cullaville - 276
Mullaghbane - 402
Joneborough - 273  (Near forgot about the Dromintee whores)
Again, I'd imagine that includes only the villages themselves and not the surrounding areas but it shows the difference.

The population has increased an awful lot since 2001.Seems these figures are very low.
Good to see the love is still there for Dromintee :D

trueblue

its called culloville north of the border and cullaville south of the border. were the feck are these figures coming from about the number of people living in culloville? unless there is 100 of the chinese ones that work in the restaurant living somewhere i doubt ther is that many in our village :D :D.

there is absolutely no way culloville has a bigger pick than siolverbridge. sure doesnt cross steal 3 or 4 of our players every year anyway  ;) ::)

rhe cuaville on the south of the border starts as u go on down past the football field and unless these figures are included those who live south of the border then the figures are definitly wrong

forkinknife

So did Cross take money from the brits or not? I find that a fascinating story. I was reading about the man who was 105 and didn't take any money off the free-state government. I wonder if Crossmaglen could learn from him!