The DUP thread

Started by armaghniac, December 31, 2022, 05:22:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnycool

Quote from: AustinPowers on March 02, 2023, 10:02:09 PM
Apologies if this has been   brought up previously......

If a deal is  agreed that leaves the north  in an unique situation, with access to UK/EU markets, then big companies might  be drawn to that unique trading position.

Let's say big tech companies,  manufacturing,  medical companies set up home in the north.  And the north becomes an economic boomtown,  and things are good economy-wise. Plenty of jobs, better wages, people have  more expendable income etc etc..... then a United ireland would  sail off down the river. I mean , even  if you were a hardened republican,  you'd be  mad to  look for a United ireland when you're living in an  economic  utopia, and never had it so good.

Unionists  just have to tuck that penalty kick  in the net , and that would become a reality. Bye bye United ireland. The union would be more  secure than it ever has been .   If only they  would have the foresight to see  that far

Some businessman on with Mark Carruthers made this point last night, common sense to most but not the DUP who are being led by the nose by a taxi caller from Donaghadee who's making the most of his 15 minutes of fame.

LeoMc

The DUP have a choice
1. Turn NI into an economic powerhouse and make the place such a success it secures the middle ground and the Union
2. Force a hard border like the good old days and push the middle ground into a UI.

However they see it as
1. Become a Lundy and serve under SF
2. Do what Banks / Wigmore / Farage and their Russian handlers want, to prove how British they are.

marty34

I can't see the EU or London doing any more dealing with this framework now. That's it I believe.

It's a deal of an original deal so it's either, for the DUP/lcc, take it or leave it.  Too much time exhausted on a small grouping.

seafoid

Does the the south not have the same advantages as a member of the Single Market/Customs Union and given the Common Trade area with GB?
The North's economy is a basket case but the DUP don't care.

seafoid

Quote from: marty34 on March 03, 2023, 08:39:10 AM
I can't see the EU or London doing any more dealing with this framework now. That's it I believe.

It's a deal of an original deal so it's either, for the DUP/lcc, take it or leave it.  Too much time exhausted on a small grouping.
The issue was the Protocol. This was dealt with.
If the DUP can't handle a SF first minister that is not the EU's problem.

johnnycool

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2023, 08:40:34 AM
Quote from: marty34 on March 03, 2023, 08:39:10 AM

The issue was the Protocol. This was dealt with.
If the DUP can't handle a SF first minister that is not the EU's problem.

And neither can the EU do anything about Article VI of the act of union written 100's of years ago, currently now suspended and is driving Jim Allister nuts.

Suck it up Jim, that's what the sovereign Gov in London agreed and implemented.

imtommygunn

We are loyal to the king they say.

Umm the king endorsed this deal.

Stop politicising this deal.

;D

GJL

Quote from: johnnycool on March 03, 2023, 08:18:08 AM
Quote from: AustinPowers on March 02, 2023, 10:02:09 PM
Apologies if this has been   brought up previously......

If a deal is  agreed that leaves the north  in an unique situation, with access to UK/EU markets, then big companies might  be drawn to that unique trading position.

Let's say big tech companies,  manufacturing,  medical companies set up home in the north.  And the north becomes an economic boomtown,  and things are good economy-wise. Plenty of jobs, better wages, people have  more expendable income etc etc..... then a United ireland would  sail off down the river. I mean , even  if you were a hardened republican,  you'd be  mad to  look for a United ireland when you're living in an  economic  utopia, and never had it so good.

Unionists  just have to tuck that penalty kick  in the net , and that would become a reality. Bye bye United ireland. The union would be more  secure than it ever has been .   If only they  would have the foresight to see  that far

Some businessman on with Mark Carruthers made this point last night, common sense to most but not the DUP who are being led by the nose by a taxi caller from Donaghadee who's making the most of his 15 minutes of fame.

Problem moving forward is 25% corporation tax in the north with 12.5% in the 26 counties. Would this not be a big problem to large companies setting up?

Sportacus

Nolan cutting the line off on Matthew O'Toole this morning, and loyalist paramilitary representatives on tv last night for as long as they like.  BBC need to catch a grip.

seafoid

The problem for the DUP is that people in England won't understand why they don't want to go back in. And they need people in England to understand them. Jim Allister doesn't understand this. The north is not physically attached to GB.

mackers

Quote from: Sportacus on March 03, 2023, 09:39:48 AM
Nolan cutting the line off on Matthew O'Toole this morning, and loyalist paramilitary representatives on tv last night for as long as they like.  BBC need to catch a grip.
In fairness Carruthers did get stuck into Campbell.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

Armamike

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 03, 2023, 07:43:40 AM
Shape of that David Campbell on the view. Just about intelligent enough not to eat himself!

Cringeworthy stuff.  Who's paying him a salary?!
That's just, like your opinion man.

Eire90

Nanderson

Quote from: mackers on March 03, 2023, 09:48:30 AM
Quote from: Sportacus on March 03, 2023, 09:39:48 AM
In fairness Carruthers did get stuck into Campbell.
What i dont get is him going on about the para's having a big say in the GFA and then saying they need represented in this deal as well. Majority have moved on in the 25 years and see paras as no longer relevant in a political discussion. Rishi would have some laugh if he shows up at his door looking adjustments to the framework on behalf of UDA/UVF/RHC

LeoMc

Quote from: seafoid on March 03, 2023, 08:39:33 AM
Does the the south not have the same advantages as a member of the Single Market/Customs Union and given the Common Trade area with GB?
The North's economy is a basket case but the DUP don't care.
Common travel area, not common trade area.