Division 2 2024

Started by Captain Scarlet, January 16, 2023, 02:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armagh18

Quote from: statto on April 01, 2024, 10:29:29 AM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 31, 2024, 03:48:00 PMDonegal deserved to win but Armagh were awful. Falling back in to all the old habits I thought they had moved away from this year (Louth match excepted).

The manner of the defeat against a Donegal who will get much better is hard to take. I'd no longer be confident of an Ulster final let alone hoping for something more. 
having saw down Fermanagh and antrim they should be making it with bit to spare.
For sure. Jesus we weren't good yesterday but we're miles ahead of those 3

statto

Quote from: Tones on March 31, 2024, 09:32:57 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on March 31, 2024, 04:29:51 PMPoor from us. Well done Donegal. Armagh are very unlikely to win any title but if we don't play rian from the start we definitely won't win anything.

What would he bring,looks done, brought nothing all season.
he hasn't been available most of season I think midfield might be spot for him crealey isn't great and mackin is a poor enough footballer good athlete think they would complement each other well.

Tones

Quote from: tonto1888 on April 01, 2024, 10:08:36 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2024, 10:07:52 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on April 01, 2024, 10:03:15 AM
Quote from: Armagh18 on April 01, 2024, 08:44:43 AM
Quote from: Caitlin on April 01, 2024, 08:42:32 AMArmagh have the players but they don't have the management. The inability to cope under pressure time after time must be frustrating; especially when it's the same issue time after time.
Management don't miss frees from 25 yards to be fair. Also highly doubt they tell players to let their man have 10 yards of space at the top of the D to kick points.

Truth in this but sure don't let that get in the way of people having a go at the management
Management far from blameless too but buck stops with the players for me. Massive improvements needed.

Don't disagree with you there but some people will use anything to have a go at the management

McGeeney was instrumental in getting rid of the 2 Brian's as it was precieved they had run their course, the irony 10 years of mediocrity and under achievement he can't see he's the one standing in these lads way now.

statto

Quote from: Mario on April 01, 2024, 08:14:49 AM
Quote from: thewobbler on March 31, 2024, 09:39:34 PMWatching the D1 final must have been vexing for Armagh fans.

Derry have closed the gap on Dublin and Kerry, by pressing hard and taking control of momentum where possible.

Armagh, with better forwards than Derry, are getting further away each year, seemingly paralysed by a fear of taking a game by the horns and building up leads.
Surely at this stage we can finally agree that Armagh do not have better forwards than Derry. It was an argument 2 years ago but not now.
Derry are a super outfit.id say grugan starts for Derry rian and possibly murnin who I thought had worst game in Armagh jersey yesterday normally a 7/8 from 10.the back 8 we would struggle to get anyone.

statto

Quote from: Caitlin on April 01, 2024, 08:42:32 AMArmagh have the players but they don't have the management. The inability to cope under pressure time after time must be frustrating; especially when it's the same issue time after time.
Do they really? I thought team selection yesterday wasn't great but I think they max out what have really.

Armagh18

Quote from: statto on April 01, 2024, 10:39:50 AM
Do they really? I thought team selection yesterday wasn't great but I think they max out what have really.
Hard to know. We've good depth and competition for places but in terms of top top players we arent there. Rian probably the only man you can say would start for any team in Ireland and hes been off the boil for a while now. Depending on the brother if he can get back to himself he's as good. Grugan a class operator but can be shut down, Soupy, Forker and Murnin all very good but a lot of miles in the legs as well. 

Conaty has huge potential but after that we've a load of good lads who put in the shift and I wouldn't say a bad word about any of them but at that top level they aren't up there with the Dubs etc.

Tones

Rian would start any team in Ireland, you are an embarrassment, he can't get on to a top 10 team.

Armagh18

Quote from: Tones on April 01, 2024, 11:02:49 AMRian would start any team in Ireland, you are an embarrassment, he can't get on to a top 10 team.
One of those lads who appears after we lose. Sound.

Wasn't at himself last year fair enough but watch him vs Monaghan 2021, best performance I've seen from an Armagh man in manys a day, or any of his games in 2022. If he's playing at his best he is a class act.

David McKeown

Quote from: David McKeown on March 31, 2024, 03:48:00 PMDonegal deserved to win but Armagh were awful. Falling back in to all the old habits I thought they had moved away from this year (Louth match excepted).

The manner of the defeat against a Donegal who will get much better is hard to take. I'd no longer be confident of an Ulster final let alone hoping for something more. 
having saw down Fermanagh and antrim they should be making it with bit to spare.

In fairness I was maybe a little raw after the match but I am not as confident as I was before yesterday
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

APM

If there's one thing more depressing than losing in Croke Park it's the predictable over reactions from Armagh "supporters" to a defeat and the giddiness when we stuff a Division 2 team. 

The free takers, Grugan, Turbitt and O'Neill all left scoreable frees behind them. Had they went over it was a completely different narrative today.

Was it Declan Kidney of Munster that used to say don't get too excited about a win and don't over react to a defeat.

Overall, decent league campaign for Armagh. Blooded a corner back and corner forward who will start in the Championship. Plenty of competition for places. Some of the old failings still apparent in terms of closing out games against Division 1 opposition. Also we remain reliant on the older guys.

However, getting promoted quite easily with about 6 guaranteed starters from recent years on the bench for most of the league is a sign of progress.

The mentality to close out games from a winning position is what we're missing and it's leadership on the pitch that is needed in the last few moments.

Armagh4sam2024

How come we can never win games when it matters in Croker??? :(

tonto1888

Imagine creating an account just so you can post that

yellowcard

Still bemused what yesterdays team selection and rigid tactics were all about. I'm hoping it was some kind of master plan to conceal our game plan for the championship.

Not bothered in the slightest about not winning the trophy but in the wider scheme of things it was deflating. There must be a lot of disgruntled subs when you looked at the quality we had sitting on the bench and not used until it was last ditch desperation time.

Rian may have had his fitness issues but it's inexplicable how Oisin has seen so little game time in the League while the 3 Cullyhanna players seem to have fallen out of favour since winning the All Ireland.

Very lucky we are in the same side of the draw as the 7-9 ranked teams in Ulster, otherwise I'd be fearful of our Ulster championship prospects. We played right into Donegals hands yesterday in persisting with a short passing running game. As usual we produced a 10 minute burst when the game looked up and then retreated into our shells again when we looked like we might win it.

Armagh18

Quote from: David McKeown on April 01, 2024, 11:09:29 AM

In fairness I was maybe a little raw after the match but I am not as confident as I was before yesterday

I'll give you great odds if you want to bet on us not getting to an Ulster final ;).

Not as confident of beating Derry in the final after seeing them yesterday.

We are capable of it if we turn up though

skeog

No pitch to train on and a bug in the camp explains the defeat according to management.