Gambling left Oisin Mc Conville with debts of £100,000

Started by Balboa, September 18, 2007, 11:12:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tyrone Dreamer

People might bet in thousands but they usually have the money in the 1st place to cover the bet. I cant see the bookies being stupid enough to let 1 person build up a £100,000 worth of debt with them. I also cant see the banks letting any individual build up such debts over a short space of time with no business plan etc. Its hard to fool a bookie and even harder to fool a bank manager.

2ams

pintsofguinness

KB
QuotePints, what do you mean what else he might admit to? Like what?
I can't say what as the admin will delete it and BC will come on roaring and shouting and accusing me of having a chip on my shoulder (but he'll probably do that anyway).
I think oisin deserves great credit for facing his addiction problem and speaking about it, it cant have been easy - book or no book.
However, there are many locals who could tell you a lot of about oisin and I was just wondering if it'll all be in the book.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Tyrone Dreamer

The main headline on the bbc news - they are taking the piss now! Their focus on anything negative in the gaa while ignoring the positives is a disgrace. I remember on season ticket a few years ago at the height of ulster teams success gaelic was ignored on show. Then one week they did a big feature on how the crowds at the railway cup had disappeared and sent camera's to somewhere like Limercik to show that nobody was attending the games.

pintsofguinness

Tyrone Dreamer

Its about time the GAA tackled the BBC and their coverage of gaelic games. The fact that they dont broadcast the games but any time they find a negative story plant it as the main news headline isnt on.

pintsofguinness

QuoteMcConville believes that sporting organisations such as the GAA should be aware of the problem.

"The GAA maybe needs to go out into the clubs and the counties and say that if there is a problem that we maybe have somebody here who can help."

Something I don't understand, why is this a gaa problem?

pintsofguinness

Quote from: 5iveTimes on September 18, 2007, 07:03:30 PM
Its no more a GAA problem than dangerous dogs, but he is another high profile GAA player in the media spotlight and it gives the BBC another chance to get a dig at the GAA.

But no one was asking the gaa to go around and help people who were watcing dog fighting.

ludermor

If he was 100K in debt just how did he pay it off? I not stirring but surely the question has to be asked, it not likely tha the got lucky on the horses so the cash must have come from somewhere.
I dont know why people are tearing into the BBC on this issue (other issues fair enough), he is giving the interview , he is advertising the book.

Tyrone Dreamer

My arguement with the bbc doesnt relate to sympathy with McConville - he asked for the coverage. My problem was that they had it as the main headline in the news. Come on that was way over the top and again show's the lengths they will go to to portray the gaa in a negative light. If they were interested enough in the gaa to show its games and give it a bit of coverage in their sports section then I could understand the news coverage. However they basically said their wasnt enough interest in the gaa to broadcast it, so how can their be enough interest for it to be the main news headline when one of its stars has a gambling problem.

stew

Uladh you are out of order on this thread, way out of order, your hatred of all things Cross seems to have gotten the better of you. ::)
I hope Oisin continues toget the help he needs and that he can beat this horrific disease.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Tyrone Dreamer

If Gerard Cavlan claims to have been addicted to dog fighting and says he had a "disease" will you lads support him then?

Frank Casey

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 18, 2007, 08:37:38 PM
If Gerard Cavlan claims to have been addicted to dog fighting and says he had a "disease" will you lads support him then?

TD - I don't think theres much of a comparison.
KERRY 3:7

Puckoon

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer on September 18, 2007, 08:37:38 PM

Oisin hopefully only harmed himself TD. There is no comparison. Gambling is a brutal struggle, one that no one ever knows the extent of, because a gambler will never tell you the truth. The thing is that its everywhere - like the drink. We even have threads on it on here. I wonder what that place in galway cost? Sadly - that might not be accessible to everyone. Did oisin pay for it? While news like this makes us realise that everyone is vunerable - it might also show that help may not be readily available to everyone. Like the detox clinics for rich hollywood celebs. Either way, good luck oisin.

Uladh

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 18, 2007, 04:20:48 PM
If you believe it is in excess of £100k how do you know?

If you believe he didn't repay it and someone else did, how do you know? 

Has it come out of your bank account?

You have a twisted mentality and think that the craic around the bar at the Carrickdale is gospel,  "i got it from a good source" attitude.

As i have said before. this is not new news in football circles but oisin has brought it into the public domain himself and are you going to tell me it cannot now be discussed and speculated on? granted you are a friend of oisin's but very few of his friends were aware of the extent of his difficulties until they were resolved and even fewer are aware how how that was achieved. you are preaching to me when plainly you are not in possession of all the facts. your post tells me that i obviously know more about the details of this than you on this occasion.

I have answered the three questions you have asked in a pm.

Just because you are known to posters doesn't give your opinion or your carte blanche defence of all things cross any more credance than anyone else's.

i'd like you to point out posts where i criticise crossmaglen unfairly. i have particular issue with one man and his methods & motives but i'm not going to get back into that and i'm hardly on my own. for example, his greatest critic is your own former chairman.