Started by BennyHarp, July 26, 2018, 10:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 04:34:27 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 28, 2018, 02:25:38 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 02:14:29 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 28, 2018, 01:14:36 PM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on July 28, 2018, 01:01:24 PM
Believe it, or not, when you're out assessing refereeing performances, you are not permitted to refer to fitness levels in your report, nor to comment on a referee's ability to "keep up with the play".

Wow! Is that not a (massive) part of the problem, right there?

I know that referees must do annual personal fitness tests, etc., but surely their respective abilities to keep up with the play, or not, must be critical aspect of match fitness?

He's up with play better than the supporter hanging over the fence a further 60 yards from the referee but that guy calls it! You are what's the problem is..

No need to be so defensive, and what you're saying there is not necessarily true -- if I'm beside the sideline of the ground and the play is on the sideline, and the man-in-the-middle is, erm, in the middle, he's most definitely not better placed -- blind sided and clueless.

So if you are closer to the play and you see it better as you are there, then of course you are closer, that was not in my post!! I said if I'm 60 yards closer to the clampit on the sideline then I should see it better, no? In most of a game, I'll be closer to the play that a supporter who stays in the one place, agree?

You havent addressed my other point on the muppets who think thye know the rules and when questioned on them knew nothing really, a referee has to call that in seconds, he doesnt get to sit down and study a rule book there and then, he gets it wrong sometimes, just like the player who shoots when he should have passed, or teh manager who takes of a player in corner forward when the problem is in midfield

I was referring specifically about how crucial it is, generally, for the referee to be up with the play. Something that's glaringly obvious far too often, the lack of it.

Regarding ignorance of the rules on the sidelines, of course that's a curse. Though worse, is a referee who doesn't apply them with consistency, and again, which is all too prevalent.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

David McKeown

I've said before I'll say again. The game at the top level is too quick too big and too professional for one single amateur ref. I don't know if the answer is professional refs or maybe more officials but I do think something needs done.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2018, 05:53:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2018, 09:59:09 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 27, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
Many referees are semi-professional as it is. One could referee a game seven days a week and at least two on Saturdays and Sundays. Clearing the guts of £300 a week tax free. And that's at the very bottom rung of the ladder. Heard a story once about a referee looking £1K for himself and his team to officiate at a colleges' game.

Think you heard wrong, referees get expenses.. they don't get paid to hear someone abuse them for 1 hour and then confront you as you head towards the changing room, they don't get paid to take abuse from players or management.. they don't get paid to then take further abuse from trolls on discussion boards who believe they know the rules better than the referees (at county level the pass mark is very high)

As for the 1k for a team of officials I'd like to hear more on that? Is that for hotels, dinners and travel expenses? (From Spain) think you're making that one up to suit your pathetic post
Milltown, this is not an attack on referees or you because I really couldn't care less about the refs getting a few quid but when you say referees don't get paid, they get expenses, that suggests that there is a calculation of how much the referee is out of pocket for refereeing the game. I got a ref for a game and he told me "the fee is £30". It was a game played local to him and he was able to do it as he wasn't working. As I say, I've no issue with it but is the "it is expenses" just a line to get around paying tax as the ref I got was simply "paid" £30 to do the game.

That's up to you, I've done challenge games for free, but most cases I've ended up with 20 quid, unless it's at Jordanstown it's not local..

If a referee is doing it for money then he's an odd person, IMO

I did refereeing for 2 years and never claimed.. I got into refereeing because of club needed people and I was fed up with referees at the time, wrongfully though
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Milltown Row2

Well if they are doing that Hardstation then they are doing it for the wrong reasons, I'd be worried if that was the case then they would be possibly throwing games to gain financially if it was a game that you could place a bet on it!

Champions story of a grand for refereeing is bullshit, I've asked him about to explain it, hasn't bothered to get back to me...
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Champion The Wonder Horse

Only reason I didn't get back was that your original contribution was not worthy of a reply. Nor is you follow-up, but since you're not going to stop, I'll humour you.

My post was not a criticism of referees. I would have no problem paying £30 or £40 to a competent official and I have found myself in the same position as hardstation outlined re. fees. Nor do I have a problem with competent referees officiating every night of the week from April through to September; in fact I would encourage them to do so. It all adds up nicely.

Regarding the £1K fees, I should have said €1K for a ref and four umpires from a famously parsimonious part of the country. There are probably men in your own club who could verify the story.

playwiththewind1st

When I was refereeing, it was £20 a game, as far as I remember, plus mileage. If I took a team of 4 umpires to a championship game & got them a couple of pints each afterwards, I was out of pocket. So anybody who comes on here & says refs are in it to make money haven't the first idea what they're talking about.

ONeill

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 28, 2018, 09:54:15 PM
Quote from: hardstation on July 28, 2018, 05:53:47 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 27, 2018, 09:59:09 PM
Quote from: Champion The Wonder Horse on July 27, 2018, 09:24:28 PM
Many referees are semi-professional as it is. One could referee a game seven days a week and at least two on Saturdays and Sundays. Clearing the guts of £300 a week tax free. And that's at the very bottom rung of the ladder. Heard a story once about a referee looking £1K for himself and his team to officiate at a colleges' game.

Think you heard wrong, referees get expenses.. they don't get paid to hear someone abuse them for 1 hour and then confront you as you head towards the changing room, they don't get paid to take abuse from players or management.. they don't get paid to then take further abuse from trolls on discussion boards who believe they know the rules better than the referees (at county level the pass mark is very high)

As for the 1k for a team of officials I'd like to hear more on that? Is that for hotels, dinners and travel expenses? (From Spain) think you're making that one up to suit your pathetic post
Milltown, this is not an attack on referees or you because I really couldn't care less about the refs getting a few quid but when you say referees don't get paid, they get expenses, that suggests that there is a calculation of how much the referee is out of pocket for refereeing the game. I got a ref for a game and he told me "the fee is £30". It was a game played local to him and he was able to do it as he wasn't working. As I say, I've no issue with it but is the "it is expenses" just a line to get around paying tax as the ref I got was simply "paid" £30 to do the game.

That's up to you, I've done challenge games for free, but most cases I've ended up with 20 quid, unless it's at Jordanstown it's not local..

If a referee is doing it for money then he's an odd person, IMO

I did refereeing for 2 years and never claimed.. I got into refereeing because of club needed people and I was fed up with referees at the time, wrongfully though

You take the £20?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Eamonnca1

Quote from: David McKeown on July 28, 2018, 06:48:46 PM
I've said before I'll say again. The game at the top level is too quick too big and too professional for one single amateur ref. I don't know if the answer is professional refs or maybe more officials but I do think something needs done.

It's definitely time for two referees in hurling. Milwaukee Hurling Club has used twin referees for years in their pub league. Works no bother. A lot of advantages to it beside the obvious. For one thing, off-the-ball incidents are unheard of because there's always one referee looking in their direction.

playwiththewind1st

Why wouldn't you take the £20? You need petrol to get you to & from a match ffs. You give up enough of your time to officiate without being out of pocket too.

ONeill

Sure refs drive big fancy cars full of linesmen.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: hardstation on July 29, 2018, 01:03:09 AM
Quote from: playwiththewind1st on July 28, 2018, 11:21:40 PM
When I was refereeing, it was £20 a game, as far as I remember, plus mileage. If I took a team of 4 umpires to a championship game & got them a couple of pints each afterwards, I was out of pocket. So anybody who comes on here & says refs are in it to make money haven't the first idea what they're talking about.
You don't make the dough on the official championship games ffs. The school games, challenge matches etc. No umpires. Set your own fee.

It is possible to make a few quid and I would imagine some do. Again, I don't really give a shite that they do.

If you were looking to get extra money from another job, being a referee wouldn't be my choice, taking abuse during a game for £20, I'd rather go to work on a Saturday.. school matches are on during the day, so the person doing them would need a flexible job to allow him..

But in theory a referee could be out doing ladies football camogie juvenile senior in both codes 7 days a week, you don't get paid like a wage, two payments a year, so it's not a weekly income

Orior

The standard of flag waving by umpires is poor. 

In a place the size of Croke Park, the umpires arm should be fully extended!
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

CornUladh02

Not be hurling fanatic but watched cork limericks today. Is it time for 2 referees in hurling? The match was so fast. The ref had bother keeping up and then when he did keep up he had done difficult calls to make! Should be trialled in a pre season comp in coming years

Milltown Row2

Today's ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man I've spoken to didn't once talk about the ref

CornUladh02

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on July 29, 2018, 11:38:52 PM
Today's ref got nearly all the right calls, you not being a hurling man, as you have said, know nothing about hurling. Any hurling man I've spoken to didn't once talk about the ref
Where have I criticised the referee me know it all? I admire any ref in a game as it's not an easy job at a game warm day 70 odd thousand there and some difficult calls to make like slot of games.