Kerry v Mayo - Super 8s Round 1

Started by Mayo4Sam14, July 07, 2019, 10:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: WhoDat on July 14, 2019, 11:32:57 PM
As abject and toothless a performance as I've seen from a Mayo team in a long time. Some of them didn't even look remotely interested in being there and beaten to every ball from the first minute. Kerry looked hungrier and more up for it from the word go. I guess this is what happens when injuries and games on top of games add up. Kerry had a couple of weeks to prepare for this game while Mayo have been bouncing from game to game, week in and week out while juggling injuries. It caught up with them. Kerry were fresh and prepared while Mayo looked out on their feet. The scheduling for these games is an absolute mess. It shouldn't be that one team is able to bounce into this phase of the competition after a couple of weeks' break while another is doing multiple games on the trot just to get to the next phase where they will have to continue playing week in week out in the Super 8s. Every team should be given some breathing space to prepare for this stage of the competition.

That said, Mayo were miserable to watch. Leggy, disinterested, kickouts an absolute shit show from the word go, defenders seriously lacking pace, forwards receiving the worst ball imaginable. When you make Shane Enright look like a quality defender, you know something is seriously amiss with your team.

It's a serious uphill battle for Mayo now. I'm not even sure they'll beat Meath, I don't even know if they'll win a single game in this Super 8s. I'm also not sure Kerry will do them a favour next week either and beat Donegal.

The Super Duper 8's is set up to take extra money from Mayo fans and made it almost impossible for their aging team to be successful  in it.

I have had a strange numbness about inter-county football for the last 2 years. There was a time when I would be depressed about today's result.  I sort of don't care now.

I look at the Sunday Game and they talk about the Championship as it is 2009 again. It's not!

The worst thing about this Dublin dominance is that the GAA fraternity are looking to Kerry for a solution. 

Cunny Funt

As abject and toothless a performance as I've seen from a Mayo team in a long time. Some of them didn't even look remotely interested in being there and beaten to every ball from the first minute. Kerry looked hungrier and more up for it from the word go. I guess this is what happens when injuries and games on top of games add up. Kerry had a couple of weeks to prepare for this game while Mayo have been bouncing from game to game, week in and week out while juggling injuries. It caught up with them. Kerry were fresh and prepared while Mayo looked out on their feet. The scheduling for these games is an absolute mess. It shouldn't be that one team is able to bounce into this phase of the competition after a couple of weeks' break while another is doing multiple games on the trot just to get to the next phase where they will have to continue playing week in week out in the Super 8s. Every team should be given some breathing space to prepare for this stage of the competition.

That said, Mayo were miserable to watch. Leggy, disinterested, kickouts an absolute shit show from the word go, defenders seriously lacking pace, forwards receiving the worst ball imaginable. When you make Shane Enright look like a quality defender, you know something is seriously amiss with your team.

It's a serious uphill battle for Mayo now. I'm not even sure they'll beat Meath, I don't even know if they'll win a single game in this Super 8s. I'm also not sure Kerry will do them a favour next week either and beat Donegal.

Would be less of a mess if Mayo did as they were expected to do this summer (win Connacht)  At least Mayo can be thankfully they are still in the battle as the last time they reached they last 8 there was no group stage just straight knock out football.

MayoBuck

Dreadful all round from us. Clarke's kickouts a disaster but Vaughan has never been a midfielder. We were just stuck to the ground in the first half. Probably a combination of 4 consecutive weekends and the fact Kerry had a point to prove. The heat was very intense too.

Would struggle to pick out good performances. Cillian probably best but missing the penalty was disappointing. Higgins kept James O'Donoghue quiet but that's not a huge achievement these days. Thought all our subs made a positive impact but the game was up when most of them came on.

Also, Sean Cavanagh was right about the Kerry fans. Booing frees isn't uncommon these days but I've never seen so much abuse directed at individual players.

Anyway, need to make a few changes for next week especially in the middle 3rd. Options are slim with the 3 injuries though.

WhoDat

Quote from: Cunny Funt on July 14, 2019, 11:51:54 PM

Would be less of a mess if Mayo did as they were expected to do this summer (win Connacht)  At least Mayo can be thankfully they are still in the battle as the last time they reached they last 8 there was no group stage just straight knock out football.

But there should be a middle ground. It's all well and good to say they should have just won their province, but it isn't just about Mayo, it's about all teams that have to play qualifiers, and the provincial championships are a huge problem in the championship structure anyway. The scheduling is a joke. Telling teams to just suck it up isnt going to actually solve the problem.

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 14, 2019, 11:48:24 PM

The Super Duper 8's is set up to take extra money from Mayo fans and made it almost impossible for their aging team to be successful  in it.

I have had a strange numbness about inter-county football for the last 2 years. There was a time when I would be depressed about today's result.  I sort of don't care now.

I look at the Sunday Game and they talk about the Championship as it is 2009 again. It's not!

The worst thing about this Dublin dominance is that the GAA fraternity are looking to Kerry for a solution.

Same as it ever was. In the past, whenever Dublin dominated, the rest of the country became Kerry supporters. Nothing's changed.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

moysider

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on July 15, 2019, 12:02:35 AM

Same as it ever was. In the past, whenever Dublin dominated, the rest of the country became Kerry supporters. Nothing's changed.

Not everybody thinks that way.

From the Bunker

Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2019, 12:27:56 AM

I'd rather see Dublin win 10 in a row, than Kerry win one!

moysider

Quote from: MayoBuck on July 14, 2019, 11:59:31 PM
Dreadful all round from us. Clarke's kickouts a disaster but Vaughan has never been a midfielder. We were just stuck to the ground in the first half. Probably a combination of 4 consecutive weekends and the fact Kerry had a point to prove. The heat was very intense too.

Would struggle to pick out good performances. Cillian probably best but missing the penalty was disappointing. Higgins kept James O'Donoghue quiet but that's not a huge achievement these days. Thought all our subs made a positive impact but the game was up when most of them came on.

Also, Sean Cavanagh was right about the Kerry fans. Booing frees isn't uncommon these days but I've never seen so much abuse directed at individual players.

Anyway, need to make a few changes for next week especially in the middle 3rd. Options are slim with the 3 injuries though.

I think any evaluation of our subs has to be done in the context that the game was over early and Kerry was just closing out the game after 20 mins and really the game was decided first 10 mins. Waste of time reviewing this game back to front and calling out individual players in retrospect. We were done early - very early - and any evaluation of the game just needs focus on how we managed the first 10 minutes. Dreadfully obviously.  That was the game. Why did that happen?

galwayman

Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2019, 01:43:01 AM
Quote from: MayoBuck on July 14, 2019, 11:59:31 PM

I think any evaluation of our subs has to be done in the context that the game was over early and Kerry was just closing out the game after 20 mins and really the game was decided first 10 mins. Waste of time reviewing this game back to front and calling out individual players in retrospect. We were done early - very early - and any evaluation of the game just needs focus on how we managed the first 10 minutes. Dreadfully obviously.  That was the game. Why did that happen?
Kerry have every chance of doing Donegal next weekend which gives ye a decent chance of progressing.
In a one off game against Donegal that isn't up there - Mayo would fancy themselves I think.
The dubious reward of the Dubs next up then though.
In fairness, Kerry were awesome in the first half and the game was over at half time.
The margin of victory was the only thing in doubt.

sambostar

Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 12:00:52 AM

But there should be a middle ground. It's all well and good to say they should have just won their province, but it isn't just about Mayo, it's about all teams that have to play qualifiers, and the provincial championships are a huge problem in the championship structure anyway. The scheduling is a joke. Telling teams to just suck it up isnt going to actually solve the problem.
Some crying from Mayo fans re injuries & scheduling. Every team has injuries, Dubs missing McCarthy & Cooper, Tyrone missing Hampsey & R Donnelly. If you were good enough to win Connaught you wouldn't have had 4 games in 4 weeks. When you see the ease Tyrone put away the Connaught champions in their own backyard maybe you should realise you are just not good enough

Lar Naparka

Aye, but when Dublin beat Kerry in 2012, the vast majority of neutrals were rooting for the Dubs!
Same back in '82 when Offaly stuffed Kerry, we all became Offaly supporters.
You seem more thin-skinned than most about this Culchies against the Dubs crap.
You can blame Dub fans for a lot of that.
Not so long ago, the Hill was off-limits to anyone who wasn't a Dub. The team always got ot warm up in front of the Hill and before a game or whenever Dublin scored, the players would run to that corner to pay homage to their fans. It was intimidation pure and simple and real in yer face stuff. No wonder others got pissed off with that carry on.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

blast05

My musings!....

Clarke .... its the 2nd time his kickouts have been completely cracked - the other one our demolition in the league v Dublin in CP couple of years back. By 'cracked' i mean where he was forced to kick long, not because the opposition went man to man (they didn't - because that would allow Mayo to cluster our players in the middle and the run to the wings) but that they filled their zones high up the pitch. Clarke then ended up kicking long way too often - and his long kicks are absolutely shocking. Even our minor keepers are much better - longer and don't hang. A keeper at this level needs to be able to hit it 70 metres if needed - not a hanging 50 as in Clarkes case. Such an ability by Clarke would have completely changed the dynamic on his kickouts as Kerry half back line would have had to sit 20 metres closer to their own goals on Mayo kickouts.
And why did he keep running to the 20 metre line to speed things up after every Kerry score. In the 2nd quarter, from a Mayo perspective, the game was crying out for a 'tactical' injury!!!

Aidan ..... he always seems to struggle on a warm/hot day. Same yesterday. His energy levels don't seem to be where they need to be on such days

Paddy Durkin ..... missing him was by far the single biggest factor in Mayos below par performance imo. He always always brings energy and drive up his wing.... an energy and drive that other players, and indeed the crowd, feed off. We so desperately needed an option of 1 or 2 guys breaking forward from the half back line. That brings McLoughlin more into the game and allows Cillian and Darren Cohen feed off lay offs from the runners and whip them over the bar. If we don't have him back for Meath game then i'd be really worried....

In summary from Mayos perspective .... i had hoped that without having the pressure of the game being knockout like the previous 3 weeks that Mayo won have a good crack at it. Play without the pressure and be able to express themselves. Enjoy the game almost. I guess i didn't expect such ferocity from Kerry even despite their talk of not wanting to be bullied. So, Mayo were bullied instead. We will all forgive them of course and its onwards to Meath. I can handle not making the semis if we were to say lose to Donegal in Castlebar having beaten Meath. But to be knocked out by Meath which would end this Mayo team, and would give Meath a massive lift ..... that would be a bit tough to stomach!!

Oh and finally, a somewhat Irrelevant point - just more curious whether anyone else noticed .... Kerry maor uisce kept running on to the pitch just after a Kerry score and with a Mayo coloured top on. At first glance for Clarke, he was probably like an extra Mayo player. I couldn't understand the logic of it. Surely he should have been told to wear a bright coloured bib. It was presumably more of a potential disadvantage to Kerry. A nothing issue in the bigger scheme of things but will be keeping an eye on him next week a bit more out of curiosity to see if i can figure out if there is something smarter going on than i could see!!

seafoid

This was about the Galway hurlers but the same analysis would apply to Mayo
who have been on the go since 2011

1. Galway now hurl mostly in bursts.

2 A side with serious mileage, with more or less the same set of players doing the legwork,
lapses into this contour.

3. Their leading figures are at least five years into a cycle that began in 2015 ― eight years since 2012, in some cases.

3 The fact that X could return from a period travelling and slot straight back into the championship team speaks for itself. So does the continued prominence of Y and Z

4. If Galway don't get that
consistency of performance across the 70 minute s then they're going to run out of lives soon. 

5. Galway effectively ground to a halt through unexpected replays which took an increasing toll on them
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

WhoDat

Quote from: sambostar on July 15, 2019, 08:13:41 AM
Quote from: WhoDat on July 15, 2019, 12:00:52 AM

Some crying from Mayo fans re injuries & scheduling. Every team has injuries, Dubs missing McCarthy & Cooper, Tyrone missing Hampsey & R Donnelly. If you were good enough to win Connaught you wouldn't have had 4 games in 4 weeks. When you see the ease Tyrone put away the Connaught champions in their own backyard maybe you should realise you are just not good enough

I'm not from Mayo.
My comment is about something larger than Mayo. That there are people who are happy for the ridiculous structure and scheduling of the championship to stay the way it is just because they want certain teams to fail speaks volumes about where the mentality of supporters is at nowadays in the organisation.

kerryforsam19

Quote from: From the Bunker on July 15, 2019, 12:38:03 AM
Quote from: moysider on July 15, 2019, 12:27:56 AM

I'd rather see Dublin win 10 in a row, than Kerry win one!

What did Kerry do to deserve all that hate?