Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentoneill15

Have you ever heard as much talk about a border in your life? You know how many times I've been across the border in 10 years? 4.
The only way a checkpoint would ever effect my life is if they put one between Derry and Antrim.

balladmaker

QuoteThe only way a checkpoint would ever effect my life is if they put one between Derry and Antrim.

That could happen when the Unionists move to repartition the north so as to keep their gerrymandered majority.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trentoneill15 on November 30, 2017, 06:53:44 PM
Have you ever heard as much talk about a border in your life? You know how many times I've been across the border in 10 years? 4.
The only way a checkpoint would ever effect my life is if they put one between Derry and Antrim.

It's not all about You, you know.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

armaghniac

Are you Ian Paisley? How was your holiday in Sri Lanka?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

OgraAnDun

Quote from: armaghniac on November 30, 2017, 10:33:45 PM

Are you Ian Paisley? How was your holiday in Sri Lanka?

Reminds me of one of the DUP MLAs (can't remember which one) recently tweeting a link to an obituary of his late father, proudly highlighting the fact that he had never left Co. Antrim in his entire life.

trentoneill15

Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 30, 2017, 10:28:17 PM

Maybe your men should have thought twice about signing that treaty then, maybe if they didn't the whole island would be in the EU today and not left with this mess.

Rossfan

And the whole island would be about to exit the EU.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

trentoneill15

Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2017, 12:04:30 AM

That's what blue shirts like to tell themselves.

OgraAnDun

Quote from: trentoneill15 on December 01, 2017, 12:07:44 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on December 01, 2017, 12:04:30 AM

That's what blue shirts like to tell themselves.

You talk some amount of nonsense.

johnneycool

Arlene, Sammy and Co are now playing senior hurling as the saying goes.

They're in bed with May and the pro brexiteers who ultimately don't give a f**k for the North and with Varadkar making large noises in the south about vetoing anything resembling a hard border and pushing for the North to have special dispensation to stay in the customs union.
This would mean a defacto border down the Irish sea, maintained at the various ports and sea crossings, a big no no for Arlene and the DUP's as that would make Norn Iron different from the rest of the UK.
Not sure of threatening to pull the plug on the May majority in the house of commons would be a good move as if that forces a general election the Tory's have to quickly come up with a credible leader or Jeremy the Red will get in and that will definitely mean a soft brexit and said Irish Sea border.

High stakes poker for the DUP all of their own doing.

GJL

Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2017, 08:38:18 AM

They're in bed with May and the pro brexiteers who ultimately don't give a f**k for the North and with Varadkar making large noises in the south about vetoing anything resembling a hard border and pushing for the North to have special dispensation to stay in the customs union.
This would mean a defacto border down the Irish sea, maintained at the various ports and sea crossings, a big no no for Arlene and the DUP's as that would make Norn Iron different from the rest of the UK.
Not sure of threatening to pull the plug on the May majority in the house of commons would be a good move as if that forces a general election the Tory's have to quickly come up with a credible leader or Jeremy the Red will get in and that will definitely mean a soft brexit and said Irish Sea border.

High stakes indeed and I must say I'm enjoying watching it unroll.

It is becoming evident that the quality of politician in the south is way above that of the North.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: GJL on December 01, 2017, 08:47:26 AM
Quote from: johnneycool on December 01, 2017, 08:38:18 AM

High stakes indeed and I must say I'm enjoying watching it unroll.

It is becoming evident that the quality of politician in the south is way above that of the North.

Have you heard what happened with the whistleblower fiasco? I'd say they are equally shit
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Farrandeelin

Quote from: trentoneill15 on November 30, 2017, 11:48:30 PM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on November 30, 2017, 10:28:17 PM

Maybe your men should have thought twice about signing that treaty then, maybe if they didn't the whole island would be in the EU today and not left with this mess.

'My men' fought against the treaty back 85 years ago.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

yellowcard

Sammy Wilson threatening to pull down the UK government is laughable. It is just a bargaining chip that any rational Tory will know is not likely to materialise. Corbyn might be pro Brexit but he is also pro Irish unity also and there is no way that the Unionists would countenance the possibility that he might get into no.10. Either way, by pulling down the UK government, and even with another Tory government it is unlikely that they would hold the balance of power a second time and so will have no influence. They have no choice here other than to go with whatever deal is reached between Britain, Ireland and the rest of the EU. Hopefully that is the frictionless border that is the most logical and rational solution for the island on so many levels both in terms of security, crime, economic, health and social reasons. But when has logic ever played a part in anything in this artificially warped little statelet.   

longballin

Loving the DUP-British government meltdown on Brexit... Sinn Fein no notion of going back into Stormont; they're lapping this up.