Connacht Minor, U-20 and Junior championships 2020

Started by Farrandeelin, April 25, 2018, 08:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on May 03, 2018, 04:29:40 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 03, 2018, 12:55:06 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 03, 2018, 11:39:03 AM
Who is favourite for the U-17 this year anyway?
Galway I'd imagine.
Half of it won the Ted Webb last year.
Well probably concentrate on the B Competition .
I read somewhere that over half dozen lads didn't commit to it as they are committing to the minor hurlers instead.
No idea how true or otherwise that is.

I heard it was like the Tipp situation last year where the hurling manager told them they couldn't do both. Again, developmental grade my left arse cheek.

Our U16s beat one of the Galway teams and has the other dead and buried in the final but for a very late goal. Common theme with Roscommon teams.

twohands!!!

Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2018, 09:15:59 PM
Quote from: Tubberman on May 02, 2018, 09:02:19 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 02, 2018, 08:59:13 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on May 02, 2018, 08:35:00 PM
Good win for Mayo considering the strength of the two sides that started. McStay's sides are consistent can score high and concede too much and if the latter isn't corrected the Rossies will not be reaching the super 8 this summer.

I'm sure a junior match played in early May will have a lot of bearing on the summer ahead. I've heard it all now.

Given the different eligibility rules and the fact that Mayo mgmt were only put in place in the past month, it's a terrible result for the Rossies and a very unexpected and welcome result for Mayo.

We didn't even bother fielding a team in this competition for half a decade and when we did it was a reserve team of senior panelists.

It's hard to overstate how little is thought of the junior grade not just in Roscommon but the whole country, the competition needs to be revamped to have any meaning. The players that played tonight got more worth from the challenge matches than the competition itself.

A drum I've been banging for a bit is that counties are seriously missing a trick in terms of using the Juniors for developing players.

Kerry are getting a very solid return using their Junior setup to develop players for senior - It also a handy tool in terms of assessing players before promoting them to the seniors.

Read somewhere that 10 out of the 37 players Kerry used in the league this year lined out for their Juniors previously.

They treat the competition very seriously and are going for a four-in-a-row this year.

galwayman

Quote from: twohands!!! on May 03, 2018, 07:49:36 PM
Good win for Mayo considering the strength of the two sides that started. McStay's sides are consistent can score high and concede too much and if the latter isn't corrected the Rossies will not be reaching the super 8 this summer.

I'm sure a junior match played in early May will have a lot of bearing on the summer ahead. I've heard it all now.

Given the different eligibility rules and the fact that Mayo mgmt were only put in place in the past month, it's a terrible result for the Rossies and a very unexpected and welcome result for Mayo.

We didn't even bother fielding a team in this competition for half a decade and when we did it was a reserve team of senior panelists.

It's hard to overstate how little is thought of the junior grade not just in Roscommon but the whole country, the competition needs to be revamped to have any meaning. The players that played tonight got more worth from the challenge matches than the competition itself.

A drum I've been banging for a bit is that counties are seriously missing a trick in terms of using the Juniors for developing players.

Kerry are getting a very solid return using their Junior setup to develop players for senior - It also a handy tool in terms of assessing players before promoting them to the seniors.

Read somewhere that 10 out of the 37 players Kerry used in the league this year lined out for their Juniors previously.

They treat the competition very seriously and are going for a four-in-a-row this year.
Except if you've played senior club championship the season before you're not eligible for the county junior team - in Galway anyway I know other counties are different.
Galway certainly don't put much emphasis on it and do little or no preparation for it.
My brother played on the team recently enough.I think they may have got together once before championship and that was it.

twohands!!!

Quote from: galwayman on May 03, 2018, 09:11:23 PM
Quote from: twohands!!! on May 03, 2018, 07:49:36 PM

Except if you've played senior club championship the season before you're not eligible for the county junior team - in Galway anyway I know other counties are different.
Galway certainly don't put much emphasis on it and do little or no preparation for it.
My brother played on the team recently enough.I think they may have got together once before championship and that was it.

That's the same rule as in Kerry for eligibility.
Some counties have that rule and others have it if you haven't played senior with the county the previous year.

Kerry have explicitly said they are using it as a development pathway for the senior team and from what I've heard have the lads involved on gym programs/development programs i.e there's proper development of players. As a way of bringing on lads with talent who might not be ready physically for senior intercounty it's ideal to my mind.
There are so many positives I just can't understand why more counties don't make better use of the junior competition.
The thing though is that it involves long-term thinking, which is something a whole lot of county boards aren't all that good at.
If a county board is just going to randomly throw a bunch of lads together a week or two before the first game, it's no surprise if they don't get the same number of senior players out of it as a county like Kerry where there's joined up thinking at work.

Rossfan

MFC Galway 2-5 Ros 0-5 at ht.
When will we produce defenders at all?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Owenmoresider

Roscommon getting a proper mauling by the looks of things.

GalwayBayBoy

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Itchy

I expect Ros had wrong studs in today and the ref was totally against them?

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Rossfan

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2018, 08:20:39 PM
FT

Galway 4-18 Roscommon 0-8
Hard to pick it up now for the Rhubarbs next Friday.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on May 04, 2018, 10:01:19 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 04, 2018, 08:20:39 PM
FT

Galway 4-18 Roscommon 0-8
Hard to pick it up now for the Rhubarbs next Friday.....

Best not turn up, dot dot dot.

Mayo4Sam

If yer heading away anywhere be sure and let us know
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

Blowitupref

I know Galway are very strong at this level but it still doesn't make much sense how Roscommon lost by that wide margin when they had a very competitive U16 team last year. At least its a round robin system and they might recover and show they are better than tonight can't be much worse anyway? As for Galway it going to take a top team to beat them at U17 level this year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

GaillimhIarthair

Ross were marginally the better team in the first until we got 2 very late goals, one a penalty.  Galway upped it significantly in the second half and it was very much one way traffic as the score line suggests.