Fermanagh Football & Hurling

Started by Erne Gael, November 10, 2006, 10:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you agree with the new Summer League for Club teams?

Yes, gives the club players plenty of matches
23 (50%)
No, rather play challenge matches
4 (8.7%)
Waste of time, won't be taken seriously
19 (41.3%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Tommo2

Any views on Charlie mulgrew as a manager. Heard he is goin to take over a club in Tyrone.

sammymaguire

Good luck to Lisnaskea Emmets in their All Ireland Final tonight
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Caid

When my country takes her place among the nations of the earth...then may my epitaph be written

ExiledGael

What a weekend for Fermanagh. Brilliant night for Lisnaskea in Croke Park and a very impressive result in Carlow today. Sets the season off nicely and hopefully we make a real promotion push. Doubt there were many that travelled down but heard James Sherry got the goal and we won by seven. What a servant he's turned out to be. Should get a few additions from the Skea squad and have a morale boosting league.
The hurlers beat Cavan today by 36 points too.

FermPundit

Well done to Skea last night on their All Ireland title win. It really does get the season off to a positive start. I didn't get to the game in Carlow today but given the inexperienced side that line out it was a very pleasing victory. I heard we were poor enough in the first half but there was a big improvement after the break. If we can beat Longford under lights this Saturday night it'll be a great start to the league. With Wicklow and Roscommon in the comng weeks the next month will give us a good indication of the current squad's potential.
We'll win Ulster some day, not sure when.

sammymaguire

very bad result tonight lads at home to Longford  :-\ could turn into a tough div 4 league campaign
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

FermPundit

Quote from: sammymaguire on February 19, 2011, 08:57:13 PM
very bad result tonight lads at home to Longford  :-\ could turn into a tough div 4 league campaign

I've been to some bad games in my time, but that could have been the worst Fermanagh peformance I have seen in 20 years. 33 mins to register a score in the second half is just not good enough. Bad passing, no running off the ball, basketball being played on the half back line, completely cleaned out at midfield and no one showing in the forward line.

Unless some big changes are made there is no chance of us getting out of this division. If I'm honest I think we'll be here for quite a few years to come  :-\

ExiledGael

Quote from: FermPundit on February 19, 2011, 10:01:58 PM
Quote from: sammymaguire on February 19, 2011, 08:57:13 PM

I've been to some bad games in my time, but that could have been the worst Fermanagh peformance I have seen in 20 years. 33 mins to register a score in the second half is just not good enough. Bad passing, no running off the ball, basketball being played on the half back line, completely cleaned out at midfield and no one showing in the forward line.

Unless some big changes are made there is no chance of us getting out of this division. If I'm honest I think we'll be here for quite a few years to come  :-\

Certainly the worst Fermanagh performance I can ever remember seeing. Cleaned out almost everywhere, the only positives would be McGrath in goals, Owens getting through another game, Conor Quigley and the fact we've hit rock bottom. It just can't get any worse than that and the players and management know what they're up against. Not even going to go into the display of certain players because they were all kinds of useless and a number of them not capable of county football.
We were a point up at half-time but Longford slightly the better side. Wasn't overly impressed by them, we just made it impossible for them to lose. But for a few soft frees we would have finished with three points.
Only one point from play at home to Longford, only one point (free) in second half, at least four of our six forwards replaced, in some cases by defenders, Owens moved to midfield, honestly can't recall us winning a ball at midfield second half. Just brutal.
Heard O'Neill on radio before the game asked about the players not in panel, Quigley, the Keenans and Blobby. His response was that they couldn't offer the commitment required so they will move on without them. Last night might change that.
I arrived five minutes late and didn't see us scoring from play, we had no clue going forward. Kille might give us something but we haven't the resources to be planning without a number of our top players. The rest of the squad might not like it but we need Quigley in some capacity. Tomas Corrigan, Paul Ward, Paul McGrath, Mark Little, Niall Cassidy, all to small and not capable of holding off a challenge or breaking a tackle, even catching a high ball. You can play three maybe even four of those smaller players but we need some strength or a physical presence up there, anyone to even withstand a good shoulder or throw themselves about. Jesus the amount of times we spilled the ball in a tackle or lost it with a poor hand pass when under pressure.
Derry in Celtic Park in the first round of the Championship could be a bloodbath.

sammymaguire

I think Fermanagh GAA folk have another stretch of Division 4 doldrums ahead for a few years to come, talent, ability and skill just simply not there. With the experienced players of the 04-09 campaigns well gone now there is a grim future ahead watching that kind of shite last night against the likes of Carlow, Clare, Leitrim etc not a whole lot of point on getting angry at players or management, Fermanagh has been lucky to achieve what they have with the well deserved All Stars and the near misses in the Ulster Final and All Ireland semi v Mayo which both went to replays but those heady days are well and truly gone (but not forgotten) but we were punching above our weight for those years and they will be very hard to replicate with our very small pick of players
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Emmett

Last nights performance was brutal! The worst display from a Fermanagh team that I have ever seen and through the years there have been some bad ones! McGrath in goals and Barry Owens were good, Micky Jones stood strong in the second half, no more positives to take from the game! Wing Half backs were very poor and are obviously not county standard. Niall Bogue looked unfit and struggled. Barry Mulrone is a good runner but is too small and not dominant enough to play CHB but who else can we play there in McCluskeys absence?? James Sherry was shockingly bad, the worst I have ever seen him play. Hughie Brady only marginally better. All 6 of the forward line are too small and will lose out under the high ball and also in most physical challenges. This leaves us with no out-ball and as seen in the second half we will struggle to get out of our own half. Mark Little is a classy player who we can build our forward line around, he is not a regular scorer but can be a link between midfield and attack. We need to find suitable players to support him. The Quigley situation has to be resolved ASAP, it was disappointing to see him in the stand while we were struggling so badly. For what it is worth here is the team I would like to see start against Wicklow next weekend.........

McGrath
P Sherry
Owens
Jones (O'Brien if fit)
T McElroy
Brady
Woods
J Sherry (can't play as badly again)
Lyons (if not fit then Brian Og Maguire deserves a chance)
Little
Kille
P McGrath
Ward
Quigley (if only)
C OBrien

We are so short on county standard players! We badly need to get Damian Kelly, Daryll Keenan, Ryan Jones, Seamie Quigley, Ryan Carson and Rory Foy back in the panel in order to save our season.

FermPundit

Whilst I agree with most of the comments, the thing that annoyed me the most last night was the lack of commitment and heart from the Fermanagh players. At no stage in the second half did anyone put their hand up and try make a difference. Maybe I'm being too harsh but that's what it looked like to me. I know John O'Neill's hands are tied, but there seemed to be no game plan last night, no real structure of play. It just seemed like 15 guys were sent out to give it a go.
The Wicklow game is now massive. If we don't win next Sunday then promotion will probably be over. I was speaking to someone this morning who said if there was a Division 5, Fermanagh would be probably be in it.

FermPundit

Quote from: Emmett on February 20, 2011, 01:09:04 PM
Last nights performance was brutal! The worst display from a Fermanagh team that I have ever seen and through the years there have been some bad ones! McGrath in goals and Barry Owens were good, Micky Jones stood strong in the second half, no more positives to take from the game! Wing Half backs were very poor and are obviously not county standard. Niall Bogue looked unfit and struggled. Barry Mulrone is a good runner but is too small and not dominant enough to play CHB but who else can we play there in McCluskeys absence?? James Sherry was shockingly bad, the worst I have ever seen him play. Hughie Brady only marginally better. All 6 of the forward line are too small and will lose out under the high ball and also in most physical challenges. This leaves us with no out-ball and as seen in the second half we will struggle to get out of our own half. Mark Little is a classy player who we can build our forward line around, he is not a regular scorer but can be a link between midfield and attack. We need to find suitable players to support him. The Quigley situation has to be resolved ASAP, it was disappointing to see him in the stand while we were struggling so badly. For what it is worth here is the team I would like to see start against Wicklow next weekend.........

McGrath
P Sherry
Owens
Jones (O'Brien if fit)
T McElroy
Brady
Woods
J Sherry (can't play as badly again)
Lyons (if not fit then Brian Og Maguire deserves a chance)
Little
Kille
P McGrath
Ward
Quigley (if only)
C OBrien

We are so short on county standard players! We badly need to get Damian Kelly, Daryll Keenan, Ryan Jones, Seamie Quigley, Ryan Carson and Rory Foy back in the panel in order to save our season.

From what I hear there is no sign of the Tempo boys making themselves available anytime soon. I would play Hugh Brady at CHB. Barry Mulrone seems to be everywhere else bar CHB and teams just run through us too easily. Shane Lyons had a cast on his hand last night so I think so he won't be back for a while anyway. James Sherry needs a midfield partner. He's probably fed up doing the work of two men.
I know we're short of numbers, but we're better than last night. The Fermanagh players have a point to prove this week. Let's hope we see a much imrpoved performance against Wicklow.

FermGael

Lads i have no idea where to begin.
The worse i have ever seen
I do not think we have hit rock bottom.
There could be worse to come.

There were to many players who should be on the county panel watching the game from the stands.
People are saying that they are not committed.  If they did not give a stuff, why would so many of them be watching the game.  A few bridges HAVE to be rebuilt.
Does anybody actually know why the Tempo players have withdrew there services??

Bar Fudge(J McGrath) and the full back line, the rest of the Fermanagh team was very poor.
Why was Bogue taken off?? 
The problems were in the half back/half forward line, not full back line.
Longford played a sweeper and fermanagh proceeded to put every ball on top of him.
Why did we not push a man up and make him defend.
Instead he stood there hovering everything up.
Mulrone is far too loose to play CHB.  He neither holds the middle or marks his man.
Hugh Brady is a Defender, not a midfielder. That was highlighted yesterday.
Where are R Jones(Derrygonnelly), K Cosgrove(Roslea), Cosgrove(St Pat's), B Cox(Belcoo)
We are not good enough to leave men like Tommy McElroy( who is a back not a forward) and Peter Sherry on the bench.
Why was Cecil not togged out??  He could have least hit some of those frees.
Why did Fla from Belcoo not get a run??
I could go on and i think i have.
I think we could be back to being the whipping boys of Ulster football
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Fermanaghandsam

After lasts nights performance or lack off, it might be time to resurrect this thread.

wanderer

What was the team? Who killed off their chances of an intercounty career?

Its a worrying result from the scoreline, and from previous posts it seems like the performance was worse still?