The Horse racing thread

Started by maddog, December 19, 2006, 03:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Will any of them touch Zenyatta?

Donnellys Hollow

She's a worthy fav but a false price. Pletcher's horse interests me but I don't think he'll have things his own way in front which could compromise his chance. Might back him in-running if he can get a lead.

Just watching that ride again from Peslier - tactical perfection. Compare it to Ryan Moore on Paco Boy.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Carmen Stateside

Fist time for her at Churchill Downs aswell.  Only one horse in it out here. They have her the best thouraghbred of all time!

vav

Missed the race but glad to see Big Drama won :D

bcarrier

Ruby had a double break in leg..will be out for 3 months + apparently :(. Its a tough game.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: bcarrier on November 06, 2010, 10:38:43 PM
Ruby had a double break in leg..will be out for 3 months + apparently :(. Its a tough game.

It could be 6-9 months I'd say - did both the tibia and fibula. Will be lucky to be back for the Cheltenham Festival.

Carmen Stateside

What a race! Zenyatta beat by a nose.Blame wins. Zenyatta had bother getting out of the crowd but nearly done it.

Minder

Is it just me or did the jockey give Zenyatta a shite ride? Too far back from the start?
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Donnellys Hollow

Hell of a race. Great ride from Garrett Gomez.

The mare ran on really well but I think the jock was over-confident. She missed the kick and I think Smith wasn't anticipating them going so hard that early. He should have got after her early in back straight.

vav

Mike Smith should hang his head in shame.. made a feck of it.. Brilliant horse though.. gave the winner a 20 length start and only beaten by a short head.. there'll be books written about him and that race will feature heavily.

haze

What an unbelievable race- not too dissimilar to when rock of gibraltar lost over there. What a pity she didn't win it. I was expecting her to be pulled up she was so far back

Donnellys Hollow

Having seen the replay several times now, it's clear to me that Smith loses the race in the first two furlongs. The mare clearly misses the kick but he appears in no panic to get after her so early in the race. I think he anticipates they'll steady up the pace in front after going 1/4 mile but if anything they speed up before they hit the first bend and the mare is left 10L+ adrift of the pack and about 20L behind the leaders. If he had pushed her into the bridle early on and sat maybe a length or two off the pack there's no doubt in my mind she'd have won that going away. The jock was caught napping and was probably overconfident - I had no financial involvement in the race by the way.

His antics with the whip up the straight were nothing short of disgraceful. He'd have the book thrown at him if he did that to a mare at the Curragh or at Ascot. There's something very ugly about racing in the States.

winsamsoon

Think you have got it 100% correct there Donnelly on 2 counts clearly the best player in the field but won't bring back the 200 snoops I stuck on it  :(
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

SHEEDY

NH season will be lesser without ruby. will be sorelly missed for next 6 mths or so.
nil satis nisi optimum

RealSpiritof98

Smith lost the race inside 10 seconds ( yeah he missed the jump but he was only 4 lenths behind after 1f, also how can a horse respond from a dig when he is slapped 20 times in 4 seconds, id shout the cnut now in my moud