Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

five points

Ignorance of what exactly?

JoG2

Quote from: Hound on February 03, 2020, 03:45:16 PM
Quote from: highorlow on February 03, 2020, 03:30:06 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBl-vRWV8QU

O'Rourke is taken out of context. Back in his day there were only frees for such tackle. For once I agreed with Charlie Redmond at the weekend, he said the Jordan Flynn's tackle wasn't a red. The game is going soft as shit.
We all know what he meant, but he should be clever enough to know that we can't use that type of phrase.
Very interesting that Gough has called him out, and it's a right mess now for RTE. I don't think they've much choice but to fire him.

Another thing though is that O'Rourke's analysis was completely wrong and actually misleading.
These fellas are not throwing themselves on the ground or exaggerating their falls because they are "pansys" or "unmanly" or whatever similar phrase you want to use.
You'll last no time at all at intercounty if you're actually soft.

They're going down because they are trying to con the ref into giving them a free, and if it results in a card to the opponent, then that's a bonus. It's pure cynicism and even cheating in some cases and it should be called out for what it is, without the need to compare said players to women or gay people!

Can O'Rourke not just apologise and everyone moves on? Why the need for the nuclear only option?

GetOverTheBar

O'Rourke and Gough have spoken privately. RTE have nothing further to say.

That's the end of that brief storm.

I admit that had it been Brolly we might have seen it swirl on for awhile.

pbat

UPDATE:

RTÉ have confirmed in a statement to SportsJOE that;

"It is RTÉ's understanding that Colm O'Rourke and David Gough have been in touch with each other privately on this matter."

The station has "no further comment" about the remarks made by O'Rourke.
4:04 pm · 3 Feb 2020·Twitter Web App

five points

Great news. Compare and contrast the common sense of that with the "he must go!!!" ranters here.

Taylor

Quote from: pbat on February 03, 2020, 04:14:43 PM
UPDATE:

RTÉ have confirmed in a statement to SportsJOE that;

"It is RTÉ's understanding that Colm O'Rourke and David Gough have been in touch with each other privately on this matter."

The station has "no further comment" about the remarks made by O'Rourke.
4:04 pm · 3 Feb 2020·Twitter Web App

I certainly do not want to see Colm go as he is good at his job.

But the comment wasnt directed at Gough so how can they have no further comments to make because Colm had a private conversation with Gough?

If this was Brolly the pitchforks would be out.

Is Gough running the show now? He's a referee for feck sake. Thats it

yellowcard

It is the correct decision and was taken out of context imo. Watched it live and did think at the time that the PC brigade would be out in force after it. RTE have however created this storm for themselves by setting a new bar for behaviour after firing Brolly and loading all of their sports programmes with vanilla pundits and extra women in the name of political correctness and trying to control their pundits in terms of what they can and can't say. Now people are jumping up and down looking for O'Rourke to go over something fairly trivial. It will just result in pundits becoming even more careful over what is acceptable to say.     

The Boy Wonder

Quote from: BennyCake on February 03, 2020, 03:44:20 PM
I've never linked the word pansy with someone who is gay.

A pansy to me is like a weakling, mummy's boy or a watery wee shite.

Agree totally with above - storm in a teacup.

imtommygunn

Joe was on his 3rd or 4th offense too while O'Rourke wouldn't be.

skeog

What have we become that the word pansy upsets so many.

Hound

It's bizarre that so many on here think "pansy" is acceptable to use in the context O'Rourke used it in!

Colm made a big mistake. He's acknowledged it and apologised for it and it would be very unfortunate to lose his job over it. However, actions speak louder than words, and with that, here's a very interesting tweet from David Gough from only two weeks ago, which is a far truer reflection of COR:

A huge thanks to Colm O'Rourke, principal, for inviting me back to my old school today, St. Pat's Navan, for their #mentalhealthweek delivering at talk on the importance of support and being an ally for fellow LGBTQI+  students
@BeLonG_To  @MeathGAA

Taylor

Quote from: Hound on February 03, 2020, 04:52:47 PM
It's bizarre that so many on here think "pansy" is acceptable to use in the context O'Rourke used it in!

Colm made a big mistake. He's acknowledged it and apologised for it and it would be very unfortunate to lose his job over it. However, actions speak louder than words, and with that, here's a very interesting tweet from David Gough from only two weeks ago, which is a far truer reflection of COR:

A huge thanks to Colm O'Rourke, principal, for inviting me back to my old school today, St. Pat's Navan, for their #mentalhealthweek delivering at talk on the importance of support and being an ally for fellow LGBTQI+  students
@BeLonG_To  @MeathGAA

And the next week he is tagging the head of sport in RTE in a complaint about Colm  :o ;D

Gough will only be able to referee in Croke Park going forward given the size of his ego

Main Street

There are two contexts for the use of the word pansy besides the obvious flower. The context Colm used it in was in his familiar hobby horse, manliness on the football pitch. That's what I understood 100%. But perhaps Colm can adopt new words, trendy words likw snowflake. Gough could have contacted Colm personally and expressed his upset instead of going full blown outrage in public. 

BennyHarp

Is David Gough the official gatekeeper for the gay community in Ireland? Whatever about the word used, I would have thought it was more offensive that RTE think one gay man speaks on behalf of the whole community and can administer and absolve blame unilaterally.  "It's ok lads, huge relief, Colm has spoken to a gay man and has been given the all clear, we can move on, phew!!"
That was never a square ball!!

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: BennyHarp on February 03, 2020, 08:10:40 PM
Is David Gough the official gatekeeper for the gay community in Ireland? Whatever about the word used, I would have thought it was more offensive that RTE think one gay man speaks on behalf of the whole community and can administer and absolve blame unilaterally.  "It's ok lads, huge relief, Colm has spoken to a gay man and has been given the all clear, we can move on, phew!!"

He is for the GAA community no matter if he likes it or not. To that end, I don't think Gough should get a hard time for anything here, a public backlash could really make young players or even players think twice about possibly coming out. The GAA needs to be embracing postiive criticism in this area and really going the extra mile to making itself more than inclusive. I don't think it's the worse thing in the world to say, but I'm willing to accept its off limits if it helps some man or woman in our sport.