Death Notices

Started by Armagh4SamAgain, April 05, 2007, 03:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyhaiseMan

39 years old,far too young to die RIP
will they ever find a cure to that horrible disease.

Denn Forever

Mick Higgins aged 87.

Thanks for everything Mick.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/northern_ireland/8485296.stm

Cavan GAA legend Mick Higgins dies at the age of 87 

Mick Higgins won three All-Ireland senior football medals
Cavan's 1952 All Ireland winning captain Mick Higgins has died at the age of 87.

The Cavan great won three All Ireland medals, including one from the famous Polo Grounds final in 1947 when the Breffni Blues beat Kerry in New York.

Higgins, whose other All-Ireland win came in 1948, was the last surviving member of the Cavan side of 1947.

He was born in New York and returned to his mother's home town of Kilnaleck in county Cavan at five years of age.

Higgins played in his first Ulster Championship match against Monaghan in 1943 and he clinched his first senior provincial medal in the same year.

Four years later, the Cavan team flew to New York via the Azores for the historic battle for Sam Maguire against the Kingdom.

The game was played in New York to honour the memory of the Irish abroad on the centenary of the height of the Irish famine.

The Cavan team travelled by air and while the trip took 30 hours, it was a lot shorter duration than the Kerry squad's journey to the US by Ocean Liner.

"There was no huge send-off for us in Cavan, but both teams got a good reception in New York when we arrived," recalled Higgins in an interview last year.

"I remember the team stayed in the Commodore Hotel, but I stayed with my relatives."

Around 30,000 spectators watched the game and Higgins recalled the "oppressive heat" at the Polo Grounds.

Higgins and his teammates returned home to a heroes' welcome after a voyage aboard the Queen Mary.

"It was only after we arrived in Southampton that we realised the joy of it all," recalled Higgins.

"Large numbers of Cavan people turned up to see us in London and Birmingham. We were treated like kings in Cavan."

After retaining the title in 1948 by defeating Mayo, Cavan aimed for a three-in-a-row a year later but they were beaten by Meath in the decider.

However, Cavan, skippered by Higgins, got revenge over their neighbours three years later in the All-Ireland decider.

Cavan haven't appeared in an All-Ireland senior final since 1952.

He continued his involvement in the GAA after his playing days and his other great sporting passion was greyhound racing, where he became a successful trainer.

I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

red hander

JD Salinger, author of Catcher In The Rye

Declan

Howard Zinn, Historian who Challenged Status Quo, Dies at 87

Howard Zinn, the Boston University historian and political activist who was an early opponent of US involvement in Vietnam, died of a heart attack today in Santa Monica, Calif, where he was traveling, his family said. He was 87.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: Declan on January 28, 2010, 06:55:58 PM

Howard Zinn, the Boston University historian and political activist who was an early opponent of US involvement in Vietnam, died of a heart attack today in Santa Monica, Calif, where he was traveling, his family said. He was 87.

Who will say it first?  ::)

muppet

Quote from: longrunsthefox on January 28, 2010, 07:26:21 PM

Who won?
MWWSI 2017

Gaffer

What did he challenge the Quo to?  headbanging competition?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

longrunsthefox

Quote from: muppet on January 28, 2010, 07:27:33 PM

Who won?

Great!! i had you backed at evens Muppet  8)   hard luck Gaffer...

Sandino

My bet was on 5 Sams, he's very clever, you know.
"You can go proudly. You are history. You are legend''

Tony Baloney

Did he Roll Over Lay Down and now he's going Down Down?

A Quinn Martin Production

Quote from: red hander on January 28, 2010, 06:31:05 PM
JD Salinger, author of Catcher In The Rye

Great book.  RIP.
Antrim - One Of A Dying Breed of Genuine Dual Counties

The Gs Man

JD Salinger RIP

The Catcher in the Rye changed my life.

(not really, but did that make me sound cool?)
Keep 'er lit

ziggysego

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 28, 2010, 11:24:51 PM
JD Salinger RIP

No.  :D

RIP JD Salinger.
Testing Accessibility

muppet

Quote from: The Gs Man on January 28, 2010, 11:24:51 PM
JD Salinger RIP

Yes, yes it did. Really.

Especially if cool means sad up North.
MWWSI 2017