Foot.ie

Started by DubDave, January 04, 2007, 07:42:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DubDave

Don't know if this is the right place, but see what being said on this soccer site!

http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=45800

The Bottom Brick

Ah here...

Some eegit just said

Quotethere are far more Association football clubs than GAA clubs

That's hilarious
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

dublinfella

some soccer fans on a soccer site saying they prefer soccer. controversial stuff indeed. ::)

quite the first post too.

will we link to the people on this forum referring to Shamrock Rovers fans as 'west brits' and 'loyalists'?

J70

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on January 04, 2007, 07:45:02 PM
Ah here...

Some eegit just said

That's hilarious

Is it not true? There are literally hundreds of soccer clubs in Dublin. Many of them amount to a bunch of lads meeting up on a Saturday for a league match on a council pitch, with a game of midweek indoor thrown in in lieu of training. They're still clubs though.

ziggysego

Can we send Flameboy over to them?
Testing Accessibility

An Dun Deal

I read somewhere recently that there were more people playing soccer in Ireland than gaelic football. Whether that was registered players I'm not sure. Think it may have been in one of the Sunday papers. Don't know about soccer having more clubs but it could be a close enough call though.

dublinfella

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2007, 07:49:35 PM
Ah here...

Some eegit just said

That's hilarious

Is it not true? There are literally hundreds of soccer clubs in Dublin. Many of them amount to a bunch of lads meeting up on a Saturday for a league match on a council pitch, with a game of midweek indoor thrown in in lieu of training. They're still clubs though.

and the amount of workplaces that have soccer teams as opposed to Gaelic Games ones.

there are more registered soccer players than players of any individual Gaelic Game (ERSI did a report on it and census figures), not sure about the number of clubs though.

Expect to be labelled allsorts for bringing it up, just to prove the foot.ie folk wrong.

Farrandeelin

Poor hoors, they think we even read the Sindo! ::) They have a serious chip on their shoulder.

And they even did a '17 reasons why soccer is better than football' again...
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2007, 07:47:23 PM
some soccer fans on a soccer site saying they prefer soccer. controversial stuff indeed. ::)

quite the first post too.

will we link to the people on this forum referring to Shamrock Rovers fans as 'west brits' and 'loyalists'?

doubt it

do loyalists and west brits throw 'pigs heads' at rival fans and terrorise local shops when rovers are playing in that area?

(ok there might be some similarities with loyalists - but I wouldnt castigate all of them ) :D

magickingdom

the vast majority of soccer supporters also support gaa. the comments of a few nuts shouldnt be taken out of context....

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: J70 on January 04, 2007, 07:49:35 PM
Ah here...

Some eegit just said

That's hilarious

In Armagh City there are two Gaelic Football Clubs, and off the top of my head in and around ten soccer clubs. The two Gaelic Football Clubs would have in the region of twenty five teams - I would guess the soccer clubs would have less than twenty teams. The gaelic teams mostly would have squads of 20-25 in number, the soccer teams mostly 14-17. There might be a discrepancy of clubs in the region of 10:2, but there's no doubt there are a lot more Gaelic players.

Out of curiosity, does the average soccer head in the South have that much anitpathy to the GAA - I'm used to it in the North from the OWC contingent, but I'm a bit taken aback by the level of animosity shown there!

deiseach

Quote from: magickingdom on January 04, 2007, 08:11:40 PM
the vast majority of soccer supporters also support gaa. the comments of a few nuts shouldnt be taken out of context....

Many of the soccer heads on that thread seem quite reasonable, live and let live etc.

dublinfella

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on January 04, 2007, 08:20:19 PM
[
Out of curiosity, does the average soccer head in the South have that much anitpathy to the GAA - I'm used to it in the North from the OWC contingent, but I'm a bit taken aback by the level of animosity shown there!

No, but they are furious over the Tallaght thing and see the FAI as funding the GAA going to court to stop soccers capital grants. There are always nutters, but a lot of very resonable soccer guys are taking about boycotting soccer in CP over it.

deiseach

Quote from: dublinfella on January 04, 2007, 08:22:58 PMNo, but they are furious over the Tallaght thing and see the FAI as funding the GAA going to court to stop soccers capital grants. There are always nutters, but a lot of very resonable soccer guys are taking about boycotting soccer in CP over it.

I don't know how how a 'reasonable' person could trace a path between money paid to the GAA for the use of Croke Park to Thomas Davis' case. It's akin to someone saying their tax pounds / euros built Croke Park so they should be allowed free use of it, ha ha!

Oh . . .

ziggysego

Ah who cares what they think. Sure it wasn't that long ago, some of the people in here were saying the same about the soccer ones.
Testing Accessibility