Artificial Sun in Croke Park!!

Started by Shamrock Shore, December 29, 2006, 08:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Went on the tour of Croke Park today. 20 lids for the four of us. Guided tour of the a dressing room, premium level, corporate suite etc from a chirpy Dub 'on message'.

Some points to share:

1. Dressing room table has some serious damage to it from a few hurls. Big lump ate out of it as well. Tour guide said it was probably Brian Cody
2. Very funny seeing 5 bucket seats on their ownio installed on The Hill
3. Floodlights are the most powerful in the world. I am definitely going to Dublin v Tyrone game.
4. Restaurant in museum had only tay and coffee as grumpy auld chef went on the batter last night and pulled a sickie. Nobody had spare keys to release the crisps etc from the safe

The most amazing thing is shown on the picture below. Yep - for that all-over tan the sod had its own sunlamp to keep the grass growing all year round.

So - all in all, with the browsing in the Museum not really for the little uns but I could spend a week in there, well worth the time and effort.

Well done boys and girls in Croker and will someone get a new table made of marble or something.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Croker has to now be one of the best stadiums in the world?
Tbc....

neilthemac

not nearly

the facilities for normal spectators such as food outlets etc needs to be upgraded badly. Less bars, more food

Also the concourse for spectators running underneath the stands could do with a lick of paint...

Gnevin

Quote from: 5iveTimes on December 30, 2006, 01:10:24 PM
The ground only looks to be thre quarters complete. Surely they should think about doing away with the Hill and Nally Terrace.

Why in the name of god would they want to do that . The hill is one of the  greatest terrace in the world and adds to the atmosphere in croke park 
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Star Spangler

They'd have to buy a street of houses behind the hill if they were going to complete the stadium right the way round.  The cost of doing this wouldn't stack up as the stadium can already hold over 82,000 people so we'll just have to get used to the Hill as it won't be going anywhere soon.

ziggysego

I thought it was more to do with the railway line running behind the Hill, rather than somewhere for the Dubs to stand and the housing behind.
Testing Accessibility

tayto

I thought the original plans were for the hillto run at it's highest point right across, i agree that the nally bit looks a bit of a mess, surely some architect can come up with a plan to get around the railway line problem.

Moidern terracing is safe so long as you only allow the right number of people into each section. they use it a lot in german football, there are premiership fans who pint for terracing.

Still takes my breath away every time i step into the stadium.

laoislad

The Hill In my opinion should stay but some one really fucked up with the design,surely they could have joined it to the Hogan and Cusack stands and kept it the one height
Plus does anyone else think it looks really dull with blue and grey coloured seats I was in The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff at last seasons FA Cup Final and all the seats are red and green and various other colours and really looked well,The Ajax Stadium in Amsterdam is the same loads of colour
Maybe Croke Park could have done the seats in the colours of each county a section for each? or at least have the name Croke Park in a design in the seating
I know im being picky and when the stadium is full you don't even see the seating just think it would look well when empty

ziggysego

Personally I like the seats better that way, compared to what someother stadias have. Just look tacky if you ask me.
Testing Accessibility

dublinfella

Quote from: laoislad on December 30, 2006, 03:49:19 PM
The Hill In my opinion should stay but some one really fucked up with the design,surely they could have joined it to the Hogan and Cusack stands and kept it the one height
Plus does anyone else think it looks really dull with blue and grey coloured seats I was in The Millennium Stadium in Cardiff at last seasons FA Cup Final and all the seats are red and green and various other colours and really looked well,The Ajax Stadium in Amsterdam is the same loads of colour
Maybe Croke Park could have done the seats in the colours of each county a section for each? or at least have the name Croke Park in a design in the seating
I know im being picky and when the stadium is full you don't even see the seating just think it would look well when empty

Cardiff Arms and the Amsterdam ArenA are fully enclosed so the seats can be as jazzy as you like becaise they cant bee seen from outside, unlike CP!

was a planning issue

laoislad

Fair enough just thought it'd look nice

Bud Wiser

The place looks unfinished and that is a fact.  They should buy out the houses and complete the stadium because if you showed the pic above to anyone that diodn't know they would say it is unfinished.  There is no problem whatsoever building out over the railway line.
They should put solar panels along the roofs and power the whole place, floodlights and all from it.

ziggysego

Where will U2 stand, if you build over the Hill and Nally Stand
Testing Accessibility

tayto

Quote from: dublinfella on December 30, 2006, 03:58:12 PM

Cardiff Arms and the Amsterdam ArenA are fully enclosed so the seats can be as jazzy as you like becaise they cant bee seen from outside, unlike CP!

was a planning issue

Have you seen the state of the pitches at both those venues? despite being conatantly replaced they are both a mess.

dublinfella

Quote from: tayto on December 30, 2006, 04:25:08 PM
Quote from: dublinfella on December 30, 2006, 03:58:12 PM

was a planning issue

Have you seen the state of the pitches at both those venues? despite being conatantly replaced they are both a mess.

here, I just answered a question about seats  ;)

we are fighting on enough threads.....