Galway GAA

Started by Duine Eile, November 12, 2006, 12:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

Might as well get this running again!

First of all, best of luck to Corofin against Mohill, not exactly my favourite team but they're representing Galway now so we have to get behind them!

Secondly, Peter Forde was finally ratified during the week. What do ye Galway lads think of the new management team? Should Forde have been given another year at all?Pete Warrens been there before, we know his credentials but what about Eoin O'Donnellan? Seems like an ok kind of fella to me, time will tell I suppose. There's a lot of anger at the treatment of Frank Broderick and Ciaran Ó Flatharta from what I'm hearing. Also Bunty Roche is meant to be favourite for the u-21 job. :-\ Any suggestions for the senior panel next year?Robert Hughes from Menlough is a name on many people's lips, haven't seen him in action myself, any opinions here?

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteSecondly, Peter Forde was finally ratified during the week. What do ye Galway lads think of the new management team?

Was ready to hang him after the Westmeath debacle but we'll just have to get behind him again now. Big improvement needed next year or he's definitely gone next Summer. Would like to see the team play with a bit more freedom and a smile on their face. Felt we got very mechinical in our play and defensive last year. We weren't conceding as many scores but it was painful to watch out laboured attacking play.

QuotePete Warrens been there before, we know his credentials but what about Eoin O'Donnellan?

Can't hurt to have a new voice around the place I guess.

QuoteAlso Bunty Roche is meant to be favourite for the u-21 job

Ah jaysus!

GalwayBayBoy

GaillimhIarthair

I'd be happy enough with the addition of Warren and O'Donnellan to the senior setup.  Warren has done it before and I'd expect O'Donnellan is a shrewd enough operator having guided Salthill to club glory.  Cant believe Bunty is in the running for the U-21 job  :-\ 

Good result for Corofin today and surprisingly its St Bridgets they will meet in the final as they beat Crossmolina easily enough today.  Bridgets must have improved as they were v v poor in the Connacht Final against Salthill last year.  I believe J O'Mahoney is involved there at some level.  I would still expect Corofin to edge that one and setup a tought semi versus one of the northern clubs.   

DJGaliv

I'm very happy with the news that two men who have trained teams to All-Irelands are now working alongside Forde. In fairness to Forde, he has made us a more defensively solid team. However this has come at the expense of our attack.

Did anyone hear any news of retirements amongst the Galway panel. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost a few of the following; Tomás Meehan, Paul Clancy, Richie Fahy, Deccie Meehan, Michael Donnellan, Derek Savage and Padraic Joyce.

With the defence practically sorted apart from the troublesome no.7 shirt, hopefully we can build on finding a midfield combination, and return to our old form up front.

Can anyone think of anyone else to add to the panel? Will Ja be back for another year? He hasn't returned as a selector so fingers crossed. I'm sure Forde will elevate a few more of the under 21s into the senior panel. Considering O'Donnellan's involvement, I can definitely see McTiernan getting a shot at left half back, and O'Donovan getting another go.

Panel

Goalkeepers:
A Keane, B O'Donoghoe, C Kilroy.

Defenders
K Fitzgerald, F Hanley, D Burke, C Monaghan, R Fahy, V Feeney, D Meehan, D Blake, A Burke, G Sice, M Comer, N Coyne, R McTiernan.

Midfielders
J Bergin, M Donnellan, B Cullinane, N Coleman, P Geraghty.

Forwards
M Clancy, P Clancy, D Dunleavy, J Fallon, S Armstrong, M Meehan, C Bane, D Savage, P Joyce, J Devane, A O'Donovan, N Joyce, F Breathnach, T Costello.

On the local GAA front, it's Dunmore v Oranmore in the intermediate county league final.

Duine Eile

Haven't heard anything about retirements DJ, was wondering the same thing myself. Mikey D is supposed to have told a few he's retiring but there's been no definite word yet, Padraic, the rumours were doing the rounds after the Westmeath game that he was leaving but there's no white smoke there either so hopefully we won't lose anybody yet and they'll give it one last push. I heard that Donoghue was going to Australia travelling so don't know if he'll be available for the panel. Gary Sice had a stormer yesterday according to reports, could be an option for the no.7 shirt if he keeps this form up. As regards O'Donovan, on his day he can be brilliant but he's had numerous chances in the past, even last year he was tried and didn't make the cut. Is it worth while looking at him again? Has Clive Monaghan knee healed yet I wonder?

myball22

yeah congrats to Corofin, hopefully they will fo a job in the Connacht Final also.

I think it's a mistake keeping Forde on to be honest. Many people feel he is not up to the job so the knives will be out
for him next year if we don't beat Mayo first.

Bunty in the running for the u-21 job is typical fo the "jobs for the boys " attitude that prevails when it comes to
under-age jobs in the county. And we wonder why we only ever won one minor title and a handful of u-21s? :-\

An Fhairche Abu

QuoteRobert Hughes from Menlough is a name on many people's lips, haven't seen him in action myself, any opinions here?

He was fantastic in the Intermediate county final (best club game I seen in a while, brilliant match) against St. James in Tuam anyway, has a huge kick from the hands, accurate too. His winning score on that day was something else, just outside the 45 by the sideline, wrong side for a right footer, boomed it straight over. Got another beauty with the left boot in the first half as well. He looked top class that game but that's all I've seen of him and how well he'll fare at senior remains to be seen however.

As for next years Galway team I think it's going to be hard enough going over the next few years to be honest. Surprised that Forde is back at all, but in fairness to him I don't think that the players are there anymore to be serious AI contenders. Even Connacht next year will be beyond our grasp I think.
When you look at the likes of Kerry and Tyrone in the greater scheme of things, we're nowhere near them.

belleaqua

Word has it that a Galway training panel of 24 has been announced with no Donnellan or Joyce!!

This wouldnt neccessarily mean retirement as they are unlikely to be involved this time of the year anyway!

Anyone hear anything??

DJGaliv

QuoteGalway senior panel
Interesting news from the Galway senior panel. Training panel of 24 named.

Joyce and Donnellan retired, Clancy (O'ard) dropped, two keepers not interested to be replaced by Doherty of Tuam and Kilroy of Caltra. Pete Warren flexin his selection muscle. The usual suspects included.

Fair enough that's taken from hoganstand.com, but it sounds about right. Although it's very premature to be ruling out Joyce and Donnelllan. I would have thought the would name more than 24, unless it's a development panel with the FBD league in mind.

It's not the first time that Mattie Clancy has been dropped, but I can see him coming back into the panel when we realise that although he doesn't offer a whole lot, he's better than the likes of Devane, Breathnach, and Dunleavy. Doherty was called up very late last year, and now with Warren involved, he looks in pole position.

GalwayBayBoy

Presuming they are not going to retire I don't think they would be involved this time of year anyway so difficult to make any judgment either way about their futures.

belleaqua

ya probably FBD panel as its small. Wonder will Nicky Joyce be available this year?

At the risk of getting abused I would rate Matt Clancy higher than most. Watchin him this year, and he does a serious amount of hard work that i dont think is ever very obvious on TV. its alot easier to appreciate when attending games. always seems to be the first man whipped off when even our bigger stars are performing worse than he is. he can get terrible abuse from our own supporters at time.

DJGaliv

Do you know how Paul Clancy is knee getting on? If ever there was a candidate for retirement it's him. He's been on the go since '98 too, and after suffering such a serious injury, and deciding against surgery, I'd be worried. Class footballer, who we can't do without.

belleaqua

yes definitely, whatever my rants about matt clancy, Paul is definitely the most under-rated galway footballer of recent years with honourable mention to Gary Fahy! only in last couple of seasons has he got the bit of credit he deserves.

have heard nothing, his surprise start against Westmeath was a shock and i think people just presume he's ok! not an injury to bounce back from with such ease. really hope he's around next year, badly needed.

Duine Eile

Senior League, Section A: All games Sat. at 2pm

Caltra v Salthill Knocknacarra
Mountbellew Moylough v Killererin
Tuam Stars v St.Brendan's
Corofin v Glenamaddy
Kilkerrin Clonberne v Killanin

Section B:
Annaghdownv An Cheathru Rua
All other Division B games off because of Eamon O Cuiv's involvement with UCD in the Leinster club championship. :-\

Minor B Championship Final:
Killererin v Oughterard  :) Go on the lads!

Reagrding retirements, I don't think we've seen the last of Padraic Joyce whatever about Donnellan.I'd say we'll get another year out of him. I hope anyway.Did Paul not just postpone surgery? I wouldn't really trust anything written over on HoganStand to be honest, I think most people are constantly on the wind up over there. ::)