Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Wiser

The cute hoor, the wily ould Micko, the rougeish Micko, the Maestro, etc, etc, all attributes to Micko The Great.  But was he more than that? Was he a traitor to Laois to be sitting in the K Club (we choose the venue because if anyone saw us they would think we were playing golf) discussing leaving Laois and going to manage the Dubs while at the same time he was in the middle of the season with us?  What kind of manager would sit down and discuss leaving the county he was managing to jump camp and talk with the executive members of a county he was going to be playing in a provincial final a few weeks later?
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Bord na Mona man

You forgot the word "legendary" which must be used when mentioning Micko.
Sure he was only being a rogue and a cute hoor.
The wily Micko leading the Dubs up the garden path, beating them at the mind games etc.

mannix

Fair enough but the players as much as told him they did not believe in him.I think laois could reach a semi or a final if they all rowed together.When you have an u 21 manager telling you that you cannot have his stars you know that the county is split and that you are not going to contend with an attitude like that.

Star Spangler

Imho Micko held Laois back just when they were in their best position to make a breakthrough.  The team he had 5 or 6 years ago should have had at least one All Ireland and they would have if they had been using modern coaching techniques.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Star Spangler on November 05, 2007, 03:27:26 PM
Imho Micko held Laois back just when they were in their best position to make a breakthrough.  The team he had 5 or 6 years ago should have had at least one All Ireland and they would have if they had been using modern coaching techniques.
Given that they lost to Meath by 11 points the year before he took over, Micko did a good job in getting a Leinster out of them a year later.
I don't think there was much more in the team though.

Gnevin

It's one thing give a Culchie the Dublin job but a Kerry man. I don't think that was ever going to happen .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: Gnevin on November 05, 2007, 03:53:41 PM
It's one thing give a Culchie the Dublin job but a Kerry man. I don't think that was ever going to happen .

And i think Lyons made sure that a culchie wont get in again no matter how long he's living or involved in Dublin football.
Grand Slam Saturday!

orangeman

Maybe the mileage allowance wasn't big enough ?

screenexile

Quote from: Tankie on November 05, 2007, 03:55:29 PM

And i think Lyons made sure that a culchie wont get in again no matter how long he's living or involved in Dublin football.

Just shows you how narrow minded the Dubs are... If Micko won ye an All Ireland there wouldn't be too may problems with him being a Culchie or him being from Kerry and in my opinion Micko would have done it for you as he would have cultivated a bit of creativity and imagination from a talented Dublin side rather than the carefully methodical, rigid system of football that would seem to have hampered them in recent seasons!

Tankie

Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2007, 03:59:23 PM

Just shows you how narrow minded the Dubs are... If Micko won ye an All Ireland there wouldn't be too may problems with him being a Culchie or him being from Kerry and in my opinion Micko would have done it for you as he would have cultivated a bit of creativity and imagination from a talented Dublin side rather than the carefully methodical, rigid system of football that would seem to have hampered them in recent seasons!

Yes Micko the man who destroyed Laois if you ask me, maybe he would have sent them out to do a marathon to make sure they were fit.

Dublin are too talented for the likes of Micko "run them into the Ground" O'Dwyer!!!!!
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

How did he destroy Laois Tankie? We hadn't won a Leinster in 57 years until he came along and with a bit more luck probably should have won 3 in a row
Maybe he stayed a year too long with us but i'll be forever gratefull with what he done for us.
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Gnevin

Quote from: screenexile on November 05, 2007, 03:59:23 PM

This is the Micko , who's only talent now seems to be to run the bollox out of teams during the winter and get them super fit? Laois never looked overly creative or imaginative under him , just fit. Kildare where the same.
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Tankie

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on November 05, 2007, 04:11:07 PM
How did he destroy Laois Tankie? We hadn't won a Leinster in 57 years until he came along and with a bit more luck probably should have won 3 in a row
Maybe he stayed a year too long with us but i'll be forever gratefull with what he done for us.

I think Laois had alot of talented players and Micko just ran the fock out of them, i think if you had of had a more tactically minded manager you could have done more. Look are Dublin 3 in a row with leinster, it really doesnt mean much at this stage as its all about the big prize.
Grand Slam Saturday!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: Tankie on November 05, 2007, 04:19:04 PM

I think Laois had alot of talented players and Micko just ran the fock out of them, i think if you had of had a more tactically minded manager you could have done more. Look are Dublin 3 in a row with leinster, it really doesnt mean much at this stage as its all about the big prize.

Laois had a lot of talented players under Micko i know but looking back on it now i don't think they were as good as we thought and i think he got the best out of what he had.There was so much media attention on Laois at the time because of O'Dwyer and i think a lot of people started believing what was being wrote in the papers about them and maybe jumped on the bandwagon a bit,I think if im been honest we were never close to winning an All Ireland with the players we had and Leinster was about as much as we could have hoped for and he delivered that and maybe Leinsters mean nothing to you but when you come from a county like Laois they mean everything
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Star Spangler

I think this shows the reason he got away with it in Laois.  One Leinster was the height of the supporters expectation when in reality they had the ability to achieve so much  more.