Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on January 09, 2018, 12:01:50 PM
One story that I am not proud of was a game in very early 70s when Longford played Kerry in the League. Horrible wet pitch and Micko was full forward. High ball comes in, Longford goalie comes out, all knees and elbows, and clanes Micko out of it and leaves him in a heap. Goalie on the way back in sees Micko on the ground and sows the boot into him (allegedly)

I thought the conclusion of the story was going to be that Micko got back up and told the goalie "you missed!".
The keeper was flummoxed in reverse 'kicking Bishop Brennan up the arse' kind of way.

He was rooted to the spot for 3 goals and quit football weeks later.
#MickoMindGames #KerryRogue

seafoid

Micko was lucky in his Leinster adventures that the Dubs were running the traffic cone defence.
Kildare were probably missing one or 2 forwards.
Laois didn't have the belief. It is funny that Armagh did.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Maroon Manc on January 09, 2018, 04:10:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on January 09, 2018, 03:50:41 PM
Micko made sure Mick Wright got sent off in that Leinster 2003 final as Laois struggled past 13 men. They were unfortunate to draw Armagh in the Quarter-finals that year as I think they would have made the final and that would have been interesting against a Tyrone side who were also building on successful minor teams. Maybe in an alternate universe Laois are nursing 3 All-Irelands.

From a Kildare perspective he should never have played Glen in 1998 final, he couldn't walk that morning never mind play football. Still what a glorious summer for Kildare, 20 years this year  :'(

From memory thought Glen Ryan had a good first half? Ja Fallon hit 3 brilliant scores in the 2nd half but Ryan couldn't be blamed for any of them.

Whatever about Glenn we should have never started Nuxer that day. He wasn't even half fit. Glenn played after taking a pain killing injection. Its effects must have worn off by the second half because he was his usual self in the first half. Losing Ronan Quinn was a big blow. That meant moving John Finn who might have done a better job on Donnellan than 36 year old Sos Dowling.

From memory we were two or three points ahead at half time. I recall Tomas Mannion doing superb man marking job on Martin Lynch. Had Lynch fired that day we might have had a bigger cushion at half time and things might have turned out differently.

Great memories of those summers and forever grateful to Dwyer. Those Kildare players would have ran through a brick wall for him. The regard they hold him in was clear to see in the documentary last night when he was in McCreery's with Rainbow.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

DoireGael

How can you watch the Micko documentary from UK/London. Tried on RTE Player but no joy.

Asal Mor

Quote from: square_ball on January 09, 2018, 04:14:43 PM
I'm not sure Laois would have given Tyrone a game that year in the final. They met in the league final that same year and there was 10 points in it. They were a level or two below the likes of Tyrone, Armagh and Kerry in those few years in my opinion.
Correct. Was at that League Final and Tyrone destroyed them. Laois tried their best but were a long way off.

Main Street

Quote from: DoireGael on January 09, 2018, 07:36:48 PM
How can you watch the Micko documentary from UK/London. Tried on RTE Player but no joy.
You'd need to alter your VPN.  VPN is that thing which identifies your computer as logging in from outside Ireland.
https://thevpn.guru/get-rte-player-uk-outside-ireland/

Whatever might be said about RTE's efficiency, they are up to date in technology that blocks 'outsiders'.

I'm looking forward to watching it on the RTE player, Saint Mick,  what a story, his grandfather swimming 3 miles across sea to fetch a doctor so Mick could  be born, a miraculous birth, God's gift to the GAA  :)

Ball Hopper

From the good folk at the Kerry GAA Forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5ubaJ2ImBg&feature=youtu.be

Micko Dwyer Documentary on RTE on 8.1.2018

seafoid

Quote from: Main Street on January 09, 2018, 11:38:25 PM
Quote from: DoireGael on January 09, 2018, 07:36:48 PM
You'd need to alter your VPN.  VPN is that thing which identifies your computer as logging in from outside Ireland.
https://thevpn.guru/get-rte-player-uk-outside-ireland/

Whatever might be said about RTE's efficiency, they are up to date in technology that blocks 'outsiders'.

I'm looking forward to watching it on the RTE player, Saint Mick,  what a story, his grandfather swimming 3 miles across sea to fetch a doctor so Mick could  be born, a miraculous birth, God's gift to the GAA  :)
The hoor stood between Monaghan and Sam in the 80s
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

TheGreatest

Some amount of sponsorship and money floating around that great Kerry team. Even Adidas. Hard to compete with that.

Great GAA man is Micko, one of a kind and a medal haul as manager and player which may go unmatched in football for a long time.

Syferus

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 08:58:57 AM
Some amount of sponsorship and money floating around that great Kerry team. Even Adidas. Hard to compete with that.

Great GAA man is Micko, one of a kind and a medal haul as manager and player which may go unmatched in football for a long time.

You'll need better bait than that.

TheGreatest

Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2018, 09:02:37 AM

Just stating what I seen on that documentary. Adidas, Milk, Kitchen appliances and that's only what on a 45 min doc. Going on world tours etc. Jaysus imagine.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:08:09 AM

Just stating what I seen on that documentary. Adidas, Milk, Kitchen appliances and that's only what on a 45 min doc. Going on world tours etc. Jaysus imagine.

And they played all their games at home too. Oh wait.....

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on January 10, 2018, 09:12:54 AM

3 games to win an all Ireland.

Only had to beat Cork in Munster and most of the time and easy semi final and then the final.

Its much much tougher now and even more so with Super 8s.

The old play at home card, sure wasn't a problem till recently, If anything its a disadvantage, as teams going to Croke Park who play a certain team there up their game more than usual.

No hijacking of the thread so leave it at Micko a great.

mup

Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:31:28 AM

Only had to beat Cork in Munster and most of the time and easy semi final and then the final.

The old play at home card, sure wasn't a problem till recently, If anything its a disadvantage, as teams going to Croke Park who play a certain team there up their game more than usual.

No one to beat in Leinster therefore only 3 games to and AI. Money thrown at your by the GAA and Government. Own dressing room. Free cars etc etc

If you didn't want the thread hijacked then don't go fishing. The thread is about Micko but obviously by you throwing out the bait you wanted it turned into another Dublin thread.

That's called attention seeking. Take it to one of the many Dublin threads - that's what they were set up for.

TheGreatest

Quote from: mup on January 10, 2018, 09:39:16 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on January 10, 2018, 09:31:28 AM

No one to beat in Leinster therefore only 3 games to and AI. Money thrown at your by the GAA and Government. Own dressing room. Free cars etc etc

If you didn't want the thread hijacked then don't go fishing. The thread is about Micko but obviously by you throwing out the bait you wanted it turned into another Dublin thread.

That's called attention seeking. Take it to one of the many Dublin threads - that's what they were set up for.

Says the guy who follows me around here. I don't get any money from the GAA :)

I think you need to start looking at other counties, in particular the ones that need bail outs from Croke Park for years of mismanagement of funds.

As I said Micko , a great , a gentleman, a hero, etc, but I don't think he could do it in the modern era of football.