Connacht MFC Roscommon v Mayo

Started by westmayo, June 20, 2007, 08:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pietas

Ros and Mayo fans in silly tit-for-tat argument shock!!

I wasnt at the game, but I did listen to Willie Hegarty's commentary on Shannonside (I was stuck in Roscommon).

He's a pretty poor commentator, to say the least.

In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

Ryano

Quote from: Pietas on June 25, 2007, 02:13:55 PM

I wasnt at the game, but I did listen to Willie Hegarty's commentary on Shannonside (I was stuck in Roscommon).

Welcome to our world. We are stuck there all the time and this plike is what we have to listen to. What is it with Willie commentators anyway. Isn't there a Willie the shoe commentator on MWR in a similar vain to Hegarty???

Quote from: Pietas on June 25, 2007, 02:13:55 PM

He's a pretty poor commentator, to say the least.

Now thats something we can agree on ;D

dodo

Quote from: Ryano on June 25, 2007, 04:50:40 PM
Isn't there a Willie the shoe commentator on MWR in a similar vain to Hegarty???

Willie 'The Shoe' McNeeley passed away in june 2002.

Barney

Well done to Roscommon. Last year they showed what a dedicated and brave bunch they are. What Fergal O'Donnell has done with them is nothing short of sensational. They have the good footballers blended with those that are willing to work hard and die for the jersey. I didn't make the match but surely they have to have a chance to push it close again this year. From watching BBC though Derry seem to be a serious team.

I don't know how good or bad this Mayo team is/was. However I don't think there were any stars on the team, and last year was the best team we produced in years only for cockiness to rule them out against Ros. They could have won the Connacht Final in the first twenty minutes and when the brave defence of Ros kept them out they put down the heads and deservedly lost.

The positive from our point of view is that the players are coming through at u21 level although many of much of a muchness and nothing special.

Pietas

Our commentator on MWR now is Mike Finnerty, who operates to the highest standard.  He also does matches for Sentanta and would give anybody in RTE a good run for their money.  He is also sports editor of Mayo News.  I am not him, or indeed related to him,  he's just good at his job, albeit a little monotone at times.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

OirthearMhaigheo

Agreed, as local radio commentators go, Finnerty is top class alright

galwayman

I was at the Galway v Sligo minor game on Sunday and after seeing how our lads performed I'm convinced Ros will beat us in the final. To say we were lucky to win in the end would be an understatement.
Mulholland doesn't convince me as a manager. Similar to games last year,Galway completely lost their shape in the 2nd half on Sunday.At certain times there wasn't a single Galway forward inside the Sligo 40 metre line. That meant that every time a back or midfielder got the ball he would look up and have no target to aim at,so we ended up with a series of aimless passes which invariably ended up with posession being surrendered to Sligo.
It was all so different in the first 20 minutes, as we raced 7-1 up.Galway were playing really well at that stage and some of the moves leading to these scores were a joy to watch.They could have tagged a few goals onto this score as well.
The 2nd half was completely one way traffic though. Sligo got on top and the Galway midfield collapsed completely.If Ros have a strong midfield pairing then Galway are doomed. They won virtually no possession from kick-outs in the entire second half.O'Griofa from Lettermore came on towards the end at midfield and made a big difference to us. It's hard to believe also that Danny Cummins from Claregalway who was Jarlaths top scorer from play this year, can't even make the panel not to mind the starting 15.

I'd advise people to get down to the bookies and get on Ros for the final. As a Galway supporter it gives me no pleasure to say that but I honestly believe that it is a poor Galway team - one of the poorest Galway minor teams in a long time and I've seen them all over the past 15 years or so - and they will be found out on Sunday week.
That was some win for Ros on Saturday.Any day you can outscore Mayo by 12 scores to 6 in minor championship is a good days work.

Rossie11

Galway playing down their chances in a Connacht final...
O'Mahoneys legacy stretches further than 2 All irelands I see!!!  :)

Yoinnnk!

Tatler Jack

QuoteI'd advise people to get down to the bookies and get on Ros for the final.

Good effort Mr Mulholland. After you post up your own betting slip we will alll follow,

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness to galwayman I think he's telling the truth here. I haven't seen the minors play this year but looking through the names on the teamsheet there aren't very many who stand out and as he said leaving out Jarlaths's top scorer just typifies the rather shambolic mismanagement that the Galway minors have been subjected to in the past 5 or 6 years. The fact that they managed to win 4 Connacht titles in a row was achieved in spite of rather than because of the management in place IMO.

An example of this is that under proper management many of the players that never did a tap for Galway at minor level won two U-21 All-Irelands.

magpie seanie

I was at that game too and Galwayman is telling the truth. I was so disgusted with Sligo at half time I reckoned it was the worst Sligo minor team I'd ever seen. It was patently obvious that Galway weren't that good yet we were lucky to be only 9-3 down. After that Sligo just took over and but for a bit of panic setting in after the goal would have won.

All that said any minor games I've seen in recent years in Connacht have looked incredibly poor to me. Maybe Ros/Mayo was equally as bad. I'd be giving my vote to Ros on the basis of not seeing them which could be dodgy.

ross matt

This is certainly a new Galway attitude. Last year there were calls for lynchings after being beaten by "ROSCOMMON FFS!!". Now they're hoping to show up and give us a game. Yeah right... ;)

dodo

You'd have to wonder about them Rossies. Talk up your own team and they let fly. Talk down your own team and they mumble cross-eyed about underhand motivations. The preassure of favourites is taking its toll on the supporters. Got to hand it to their minors though, its not often that the Irish Times refers to a team as 'sublime'.