Westmeath v Armagh - Cusack Park, Sat 9th June (7:00pm throw in)

Started by illdecide, June 04, 2018, 09:12:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jinxy

You'd get to Mullingar in plenty of time for the 2nd half.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

seafoid

Quote from: Dinny Breen on June 05, 2018, 11:25:11 AM
There is a current apathy around inter-county football.

In May 2009, this board had over 20k new posts.

Last month it was less than 10K.

I miss the Leinster spite.
I'd say 120% of the missing posts were from Tyrone. It was less than 12 months after their last all Ireland
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

haranguerer

Armagh posters and supporters were much more prevalent, and seem to have completely tailed off

naka

Quote from: haranguerer on June 05, 2018, 02:55:56 PM
Armagh posters and supporters were much more prevalent, and seem to have completely tailed off
Still always log in every day to check what's happening, and still hate Tyrone
Have been here for a fair while and genuinely for first time ever am ambivalent if Armagh win or not on Saturday.
We need a change of manager .

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: naka on June 05, 2018, 02:59:09 PM
Have been here for a fair while and genuinely for first time ever am ambivalent if Armagh win or not on Saturday.

We'll swap ya
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

DuffleKing

Owen Brannigan

Quote from: naka on June 05, 2018, 02:59:09 PM

+1

Nearly prefer a quick kill than to linger on for a few more games.

It's the whole situation of poor football, over programmed players and the more creative ones gone.  Playing with flair and attacking the opposition even if we were beaten wouldn't seem so bad. 

We have slipped into the doldrums again, not quite as bad as pre 75 more like pre 99 but like the recession of 2008 and the following years of austerity, the decline seems to have gone on for ever and difficult to see any light at the end of the tunnel. 

We need a new messiah, a new Gerry O'Neill, a new version of the 2 Brian's as John the Baptists for a new Joe Kernan to breathe life into Armagh football and bring the best players to the field.  McGeeney is turning out to be like Paddy Mo in charge but less laid back.  It has been depressing to have a series of poor managers after Big Joe stayed on too long and no succession plan was in place as the great team ebbed away.

tonto1888

The closer the game gets the more excited I will get.  It overly enthused about going to Mullingar for the third time in a year tho

smelmoth

We did have a succession plan. It wasn't executed and was then later exposed as being a poorly conceived plan in any event.

Kernan was replaced by a good man (loyal to a fault). His link to a successful U21 team that supplied the succession plan of the playing panel made his appointment logical. Ultimately he was exposed by a declining team and was got rid off.

He was replaced by a man of limited ability. Again a decent man and a very good man manager but tactically limited. Somehow he got us promoted to Division 1 and we hung on there for 2 seasons but ultimately relegation from Division 1, annihation by Derry in an Ulster semi final and a second half implosion against a poor Roscommon team left his position untenable and an honourable man did the honourable thing.

Thereafter we have witnessed the original succession plan and a continuity. Unfortunately that continuity has been continuous decline. Well not quite continuous. We have reached 2 AI quarter finals. Whether they were flukes or not to judge but there certainly is no evidence that they were part of some upward curve.

Under Paul Grimley we barely hung on in the division we were relegated into and were relegated again the following season. The league campaigns under McGeeney have been atrocious. There were games in Division 1 were we could only name 7 defenders in the panel and one of them was a kid. What would have happened the succession plan of Grimley and McGeeney if they had of been exposed to the rigours of Division 1 I shudder to think.

Our playing resources have depleted since say 2005. A systematic review might reverse that. But our management have not maximised the returns from our playing resources. That conclusion in unavoidable.

When we are neither winning nor interesting to watch the crowd will fall away.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: illdecide on June 05, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
Was actually thinking of going to the Meath game on Sat but no confident i'd get to Mullingar for 7...Would be tight, think it's about 45 mins but match traffic would make it worse...What you reckon?
Traffic never an issue in mullingar
Park your car at St Finians school or Tesco and walk in. It's about 10 mins

Westmeath people are looking forward to 'welcoming' Armagh after the last game in Cusack park

Croí na hÉireann

Quote from: DuffleKing on June 05, 2018, 05:35:25 PM

Sure you only have yours a wet week

Long enough

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on June 06, 2018, 08:10:20 AM
Was actually thinking of going to the Meath game on Sat but no confident i'd get to Mullingar for 7...Would be tight, think it's about 45 mins but match traffic would make it worse...What you reckon?

Westmeath people are looking forward to 'welcoming' Armagh after the last game in Cusack park

Or leave it in Springfield and be there in 2 minutes.

Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

mackers

That's just silly talk and needs to be nipped in the bud.  I was at the match last year and there was no animosity between the fans at all where I sat.  Sure there was the incident in the stand but it was isolated.  There was a very large Armagh support who got frustrated with some very poor refereeing during the game.  Their backs were up immediately due to Jamie getting black carded early doors ( a decision that turned out to be correct (one of the few on the night)).  The frustration towards the ref went over the top at times but very few words were aimed at the Westmeath players or supporters.  That's why it was a surprise the Westmeath county board official had a pop at the Armagh fans later in the year.
Something tells me that there will not be the same level of passionate support on Saturday evening because of the level of apathy that's creeping in among Armagh supporters at the minute.  Both teams appear to be weaker than they were last year.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

illdecide

Quote from: mackers on June 06, 2018, 10:26:03 AM
That's just silly talk and needs to be nipped in the bud.  I was at the match last year and there was no animosity between the fans at all where I sat.  Sure there was the incident in the stand but it was isolated.  There was a very large Armagh support who got frustrated with some very poor refereeing during the game.  Their backs were up immediately due to Jamie getting black carded early doors ( a decision that turned out to be correct (one of the few on the night)).  The frustration towards the ref went over the top at times but very few words were aimed at the Westmeath players or supporters.  That's why it was a surprise the Westmeath county board official had a pop at the Armagh fans later in the year.
Something tells me that there will not be the same level of passionate support on Saturday evening because of the level of apathy that's creeping in among Armagh supporters at the minute.  Both teams appear to be weaker than they were last year.

I concur...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Throw ball

Quote from: mackers on June 06, 2018, 10:26:03 AM

Sad but in this weather a few hours in the golf course is more appealing than an evening watching football in Mullingar.

tonto1888

Why? What happened at the league match?