Indo football rankings by county

Started by seafoid, December 16, 2017, 11:12:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tubberman

Quote from: Manning18 on December 16, 2017, 10:57:59 PM
Maybe a bit hyperbolic yeah, close to 50/50 but Mayo slight favs on review. The outright prices bear that out, factoring in how ridiculously skewed the favour is against Ulster Teams, even their entry point into the qualifiers. In any case, everyone thinks of it as a big 2/3, but Tyrone would be priced far closer to Kerry/Mayo than the latter two would be to Dublin

That stands up to zero scrutiny
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Manning18

Quote from: Tubberman on December 17, 2017, 01:01:23 AM
Maybe a bit hyperbolic yeah, close to 50/50 but Mayo slight favs on review. The outright prices bear that out, factoring in how ridiculously skewed the favour is against Ulster Teams, even their entry point into the qualifiers. In any case, everyone thinks of it as a big 2/3, but Tyrone would be priced far closer to Kerry/Mayo than the latter two would be to Dublin

I'm merely talking about gambling odds. I do think theyre a much better gauge of how teams really compare to each other than newspaper rankings or general fan perceptions. I don't disagree with the rankings anyway, just that the gap from 3 to 4isnt that big, with the gap from 1 to 2 or 4 to 5 being much bigger. What exactly stands up to zero scrutiny?

Syferus

Quote from: Manning18 on December 17, 2017, 01:47:10 AM
Quote from: Tubberman on December 17, 2017, 01:01:23 AM

I'm merely talking about gambling odds. I do think theyre a much better gauge of how teams really compare to each other than newspaper rankings or general fan perceptions. I don't disagree with the rankings anyway, just that the gap from 3 to 4isnt that big, with the gap from 1 to 2 or 4 to 5 being much bigger. What exactly stands up to zero scrutiny?

That's a sweeping statement, but even if we were to accept it as true you failed to guess which of the two teams would be favoured in the hypothetical you chose - I'd mortgage the house on Mayo being warm favourites if they met Tyrone right now.

I think Tyrone might have a chance to beat a limited enough Kerry side, but Mayo are definitely head and shoulders above them.

GalwayBayBoy

Martin Breheny loves his lists. Especially during the winter.

No doubt he'll have the hurling equivalent in a few days and then the top 50 footballers/hurlers in the country in January.

Money for jam.

bennydorano

Not that we matter (nor his lists) but I'd expect to see Armagh drop dramatically by this time next year. Savage amount of withdrawals from the panel, we'll not get out Div 3, get your $$ on it.

sligoman2

Id love to see a list sorted by most entertaining team to watch.  My top 3 would be
Mayo
Dublin
Kerry
Anyone care to continue????
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

quit yo jibbajabba

that's quite the list. you've just slightly amended the top 3 on the original one;

one of my young boys announced yday he didn't like the alphabet the way it was, so was gonna do his own, a d c b sounded better to him. this is true, tho highly irrelevant

From the Bunker

Lists I seen in the middle of the Summer did not have Mayo in the top 6 and had Tyrone down as number 2.
To be fair Tyrone were number 2 to Dublin!  ;D

sligoman2

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 18, 2017, 01:38:08 PM
Id love to see a list sorted by most entertaining team to watch.  My top 3 would be
Mayo
Dublin
Kerry
4. Carlow
5.sligo
6. Galway
7. Tipp
8. Clare
9. Cork
10. Rossies

bennydorano

Carlow entertaining? I'd like to see that elaborated on.  Novelty value does not equate to entertaining.

I've said it a few times this year but Armagh as an attacking force (in Div 3) were fantastic to watch at times. Couldn't defend worth a shite.

rrhf

Tyrone produced some of the best attacking play in the championship this year.

sligoman2

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 18, 2017, 05:55:31 PM
Mayo
Dublin
Kerry
4. Carlow
5.sligo
6. Galway
7. Tipp
8. Clare
9. Cork
10. Rossies

31. Donegal
32. Tyrone

Syferus

Quote from: rrhf on December 18, 2017, 09:49:36 PM
Tyrone produced some of the best attacking play in the championship this year.

They let some of it happen to them in the AISF anyways.

magpie seanie

Quote from: sligoman2 on December 18, 2017, 11:12:00 PM
Quote from: sligoman2 on December 18, 2017, 05:55:31 PM
Mayo
Dublin
Kerry
4. Carlow
5.sligo
6. Galway
7. Tipp
8. Clare
9. Cork
10. Rossies

31. Donegal
32. Tyrone

Don't base your rating of Tyrone on one game. 0-22, 1-21, 2-17, 3-17 - that's what Tyrone scored in the championship last season before arguably the greatest team in history short circuited them and they only scored 0-11. Tyrone played some tremendous stuff up to the Dublin game.

Likewise - Mayo were putrid until the Roscommon replayed QF. Tremendous after that. Ye south Sligo lads love yourselves a bit of Mayo though.