Where now for Tyrone?

Started by bennydorano, August 27, 2017, 07:25:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

APM

Quote from: yellowcard on August 28, 2017, 08:59:20 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM
This is now Tyrone's longest gap between All Ireland Final Appearances since 1986. However, it is hard to see who will break their dominance in Ulster so they'll still be there or thereabouts in August.  I'd be surprised if Monaghan continue to exceed expectations.  Hard to know what Down and Cavan are capable of and Armagh, Derry and Fermanagh won't do much from Division 3. That leaves Donegal who with the right manager probably have it within themselves to compete with Tyrone.

Funny thing is I think the one team that might benefit from the Super-8s is Tyrone.  They are young, athletic and learning. Extra games against quality opposition will help them develop.  If they had got that tanking from Dublin in the Super 8s and met them again in the final, it would have been a different proposition.

I highly doubt that. Mickey Harte is firmly entrenched in a negative tactical mindset, it's all about safety first. Even in his interview after the match he was sort of regretting having to try and attack more after they fell behind at half time as it meant that Dublin could exploit the extra space more. He is far too concerned with the opposition instead of trusting his own players ability a bit more.

No matter about the tactical mindset, which is a huge constraint in itself, I think the biggest problem Tyrone had on Sunday was that they didn't show any intensity.  All year they have kept their discipline and not fouled, but against Dublin I think that almost translated into standing off their men.  Some of Dublin's scores came from situations where the player in possession was being closely shadowed by a couple of Tyrone players, yet they were able to get away the shot.  Would love to see the stats, because it seemed like only Dublin was turning over the ball where as Tyrone were doing in attack exactly what they hoped Dublin would do; carry the ball into possession and lose it. But Tyrone were very loose in general and the turnover for the first Dublin goal was a good example.  Loose pass, receiving player waited and Dublin stole possession. Dublin had all the urgency and intensity.  Once they got that goal, Tyrone were in big trouble as that defensive system only caters for easy or tight winable games. It doesn't offer any solutions for games that you are losing. 

If that game was replayed and Tyrone raised their intensity levels to what they are capable of, it would be a different proposition.  I doubt if Tyrone would win, but there would wouldn't be 15 points in it and it would be competitive going into the last 15 minutes. 

Wildweasel74

ahh there only be 10points in it!!

yellowcard

Quote from: APM on August 29, 2017, 03:01:36 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 28, 2017, 08:59:20 PM
Quote from: APM on August 28, 2017, 06:42:49 PM
This is now Tyrone's longest gap between All Ireland Final Appearances since 1986. However, it is hard to see who will break their dominance in Ulster so they'll still be there or thereabouts in August.  I'd be surprised if Monaghan continue to exceed expectations.  Hard to know what Down and Cavan are capable of and Armagh, Derry and Fermanagh won't do much from Division 3. That leaves Donegal who with the right manager probably have it within themselves to compete with Tyrone.

Funny thing is I think the one team that might benefit from the Super-8s is Tyrone.  They are young, athletic and learning. Extra games against quality opposition will help them develop.  If they had got that tanking from Dublin in the Super 8s and met them again in the final, it would have been a different proposition.

I highly doubt that. Mickey Harte is firmly entrenched in a negative tactical mindset, it's all about safety first. Even in his interview after the match he was sort of regretting having to try and attack more after they fell behind at half time as it meant that Dublin could exploit the extra space more. He is far too concerned with the opposition instead of trusting his own players ability a bit more.

No matter about the tactical mindset, which is a huge constraint in itself, I think the biggest problem Tyrone had on Sunday was that they didn't show any intensity.  All year they have kept their discipline and not fouled, but against Dublin I think that almost translated into standing off their men.  Some of Dublin's scores came from situations where the player in possession was being closely shadowed by a couple of Tyrone players, yet they were able to get away the shot.  Would love to see the stats, because it seemed like only Dublin was turning over the ball where as Tyrone were doing in attack exactly what they hoped Dublin would do; carry the ball into possession and lose it. But Tyrone were very loose in general and the turnover for the first Dublin goal was a good example.  Loose pass, receiving player waited and Dublin stole possession. Dublin had all the urgency and intensity.  Once they got that goal, Tyrone were in big trouble as that defensive system only caters for easy or tight winable games. It doesn't offer any solutions for games that you are losing. 

If that game was replayed and Tyrone raised their intensity levels to what they are capable of, it would be a different proposition.  I doubt if Tyrone would win, but there would wouldn't be 15 points in it and it would be competitive going into the last 15 minutes.

There is plenty of truth in the Tyrone lack of intensity argument. They were overly passive and that is the danger of a zonal system where it is easier for players to pass on responsibility. Witness McNamee buying the O'Callaghan dummy for the goal or McCann almost turning his back on the play when McMenamin hit the crossbar. Harte deserves some criticism but the players have almost escaped blame because of many pundits desire to simply apportion all of the blame on Harte. Apart from Cavanagh, I was amazed at how nice Tyrone were. They wilted pre match by breaking off the parade before the hill and continued to show Dublin way too much respect when the game began. I simply don't think they have those type of win at all cost characters anymore and there is a mental softness that resurfaced again on Sunday.

Gabriel_Hurl

APM

3 years - that's a lot of Hail Marys

Shamrock Shore

Far from me to comment on Tyrone football but that's bonkers.

reddgnhand

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on September 05, 2017, 10:33:42 PM
Far from me to comment on Tyrone football but that's bonkers.

Bonkers? Its a f...ing joke.

yellowcard

Not a surprise from the outside looking in as I think there are no credible candidates who would challenge him. What would the general feeling be in Tyrone, the impression I get is that it would be mixed at best in favour of Harte starting.

Syferus

Amazing anyone could think this Tyrone side could be any better with anyone else.

WT4E

Quote from: yellowcard on September 05, 2017, 10:39:02 PM
Not a surprise from the outside looking in as I think there are no credible candidates who would challenge him. What would the general feeling be in Tyrone, the impression I get is that it would be mixed at best in favour of Harte starting.

I think this line that people are rolling out is totally inaccurate - possibly there is no one who would want to displace Harte but plenty would want it and do a good job if he stepped aside. But that means that the county board hand is forced.

I think Hartes (as good as he was and we all know he was really good) management days are outdated - Jim Gavin proved that!

screenexile

And he does it all for the love of the game too. . .

I'm ecstatic the longer they keep him the longer Tyrone will keep getting beaten by the top sides! I was hoping for 5 years!!

thebuzz

Quote from: Syferus on September 05, 2017, 10:40:15 PM
Amazing anyone could think this Tyrone side could be any better with anyone else.

Whatever Harte's faults no one will do better for Tyrone than him. Bet there'll be no player revolt there. Who do dissatisfied Tyrone supporters think should manage in his place?

screenexile

Quote from: thebuzz on September 05, 2017, 11:40:39 PM

Whatever Harte's faults no one will do better for Tyrone than him. Bet there'll be no player revolt there. Who do dissatisfied Tyrone supporters think should manage in his place?

They want Logan and Dooher and who can blame them? Ulster's and McKenna cups mean very little anymore and they need some fresh thinking to get over the line. Many Tyrone men will tell you that the best players aren't playing for the county because they don't fit into the "system" Logan and Dooher could at least wipe the slate clean in that regard.

Probably cheaper too!!

thebuzz

Quote from: screenexile on September 05, 2017, 11:45:48 PM
Quote from: thebuzz on September 05, 2017, 11:40:39 PM

They want Logan and Dooher and who can blame them? Ulster's and McKenna cups mean very little anymore and they need some fresh thinking to get over the line. Many Tyrone men will tell you that the best players aren't playing for the county because they don't fit into the "system" Logan and Dooher could at least wipe the slate clean in that regard.

Probably cheaper too!!

Well he must have presented some new plan to get three years.

Aaron Boone

Very true