Jimmy's coming home to win more matches

Started by Fuzzman, June 30, 2017, 11:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Lads, I think yer over-estimating how valuable being an assistant coach for a year on a worse than average Chinese soccer team is on a resume..

screenexile

Yeah he might get a coaching gig somewhere low level but I can't see him getting a managers job. Maybe in the LoI or NIPL but that would be the height of it.

Owenmoresider

The Finn Harps job might become available at some stage.

Fuzzman

I really can't see it lads. He's got 5 young kids and has spent a lot of the last number years away from them over in Glasgow.
I'd say he wants to come home to the hills of Donegal and get back into the sport he loves so much.
He'll make enough money from Sky and the newspapers I'd say and his wife has a good job too.

I can't see him upping roots again and off to the UK or even Dublin.
How much would a intercounty manager be taking in now for his "time and expenses"?

magpie seanie

The FAI might come calling with a part time job for him......or certainly one he could split time away from home doing.

Aaron Boone

Quote from: Syferus on January 10, 2018, 02:29:56 PM
Lads, I think yer over-estimating how valuable being an assistant coach for a year on a worse than average Chinese soccer team is on a resume..

It would get him on a shortlist for Championship and below in England. A person worthy of consideration for interview.

ardtole

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 10, 2018, 04:32:13 PM
I really can't see it lads. He's got 5 young kids and has spent a lot of the last number years away from them over in Glasgow.
I'd say he wants to come home to the hills of Donegal and get back into the sport he loves so much.
He'll make enough money from Sky and the newspapers I'd say and his wife has a good job too.

How much would a intercounty manager be taking in now for his "time and expenses"?
I've never met Mcguinness Fuzzman, but surely if he has put so much time and effort into getting his coaching badges etc, and comes across as very ambitious, I'd imagine his goal is to be a first team coach/manager at a professional club.
I wouldn't be surprised if a club like Shrewsbury, rochdale etc took a punt on him.

Syferus

Quote from: Aaron Boone on January 10, 2018, 06:18:26 PM

It would get him on a shortlist for Championship and below in England. A person worthy of consideration for interview.

If the best Lennon could do after winning all he could for years with Celtic was relegation-haunted Bolton in the Championship you're off-target if you think his psychologist, with a single season of senior (assistant) coaching, is going to be on any Championship shortlists.

Jimmy is an absolutely stellar GAA coach, but some here are blinded to how low down the soccer totem pole he still is.

rosnarun

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 11:27:24 AM

If the best Lennon could do after winning all he could for years with Celtic was relegation-haunted Bolton in the Championship you’re off-target if you think his psychologist, with a single season of senior (assistant) coaching, is going to be on any Championship shortlists.

Jimmy is an absolutely stellar GAA coach, but some here are blinded to how low down the soccer totem pole he still is.
Mcguiness won one all irelland  title . in GAA terms alone that's far from stellar.
even mickey 'non consecutive' Harte did much better than that
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

seafoid

Soccer management is a brutal game. McGuinness would be good as a strategy/leadership coach.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Syferus

Quote from: rosnarun on January 11, 2018, 12:30:15 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 11:27:24 AM

If the best Lennon could do after winning all he could for years with Celtic was relegation-haunted Bolton in the Championship you're off-target if you think his psychologist, with a single season of senior (assistant) coaching, is going to be on any Championship shortlists.

Mcguiness won one all irelland  title . in GAA terms alone that's far from stellar.
even mickey 'non consecutive' Harte did much better than that

He was working with a bunch of lads more known for drinking than football, the change in Donegal was so fast it would give you whiplash. That ambush of Dublin in 2014 looks like one of the all-time great victories for a manager given what happened before and after it.

What would Mayo give to have a manager that won them 'just' one senior AI?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: ardtole on January 10, 2018, 08:59:53 PM
Quote from: Fuzzman on January 10, 2018, 04:32:13 PM

I've never met Mcguinness Fuzzman, but surely if he has put so much time and effort into getting his coaching badges etc, and comes across as very ambitious, I'd imagine his goal is to be a first team coach/manager at a professional club.
I wouldn't be surprised if a club like Shrewsbury, rochdale etc took a punt on him.

Unless he could talk himself into a job (which is a possibility I admit as I imagine he would come across as an impressive individual in an interview type situation) there isn't a whole pile on his CV to get himself a manager's job at a professional football club. Worked with the kids at Celtic and assistant manager of some Chinese outfit. Does he even have his coaching badges? Even the championship in England attracts foreign managers these days so the competition is fierce.

Smokin Joe

Lads, he was assistant to Roger Schmidt (who is a terrific coach).  He will have learnt plenty from Schmidt and that will look good on his CV if he seeks another soccer role.

oakleaflad

Quote from: Smokin Joe on January 11, 2018, 04:00:42 PM
Lads, he was assistant to Roger Schmidt (who is a terrific coach).  He will have learnt plenty from Schmidt and that will look good on his CV if he seeks another soccer role.
That really is debatable

mrdeeds

Paul Clement was a PE teacher and ended working up at the top European teams. Jim with his qualifications and CV will get a job in European soccer. He wasn't just a psychologist at Celtic but got involved in coaching too. Having Celtic alone on his CV is huge. It was Carlo Cudicini who remarked on him when he was getting his badges that Jim gave an unbelievable presentation. He'll be fine.