Jimmy's coming home to win more matches

Started by Fuzzman, June 30, 2017, 11:35:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

He must have been very convincing to have such an influence over a foreign manager who he only met a few times. Interesting that he (Roger Schmidt) wanted to come watch a GAA match and no doubt Jim talked him through his strategies of how he turned a team of no hopers into an AI winning team in such a short space of time.

You would imagine Schmidt would have his own right hand man and I see he won the Austrian league and Cup double in 2013-14. Maybe he sees some similarities between himself and Jim but to me it's a big success story for Jim and how out modern GAA managers are now viewed.

Syferus

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 30, 2017, 04:23:53 PM
He must have been very convincing to have such an influence over a foreign manager who he only met a few times. Interesting that he (Roger Schmidt) wanted to come watch a GAA match and no doubt Jim talked him through his strategies of how he turned a team of no hopers into an AI winning team in such a short space of time.

You would imagine Schmidt would have his own right hand man and I see he won the Austrian league and Cup double in 2013-14. Maybe he sees some similarities between himself and Jim but to me it's a big success story for Jim and how out modern GAA managers are now viewed.

Eh? I don't see it as a win for the GAA. It's more about Jim's moxie than the GAA - it's not even on the radar of most international sports.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: J70 on June 30, 2017, 04:06:12 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 30, 2017, 03:57:07 PM
This lot have had 9 managers in 5 years so his stay there might be a short enough one.

At least he'd have his contract paid out!

Probably his old job back at Celtic too, far to good an opportunity to turn down.

Dinny Breen

Fair play to McGuinness, not afraid to make himself uncomfortable to succeed.
#newbridgeornowhere

From the Bunker

Jim McGuinness is not afraid to take chances and (at least pretends not to) care less about what people think. This might go either way for him. But he'd never know if he never gave it a lash.  China is where the money is. But it is not an easy one culturally to adapt to with a family. He will earns his kudos if he succeeds here. Best of luck to him.

bennydorano

Best of luck to him. A fantastic opportunity.

Belatedly bought his book during the week, saving it for holidays.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 30, 2017, 04:23:53 PM

He should have given Wicklow a go for a few seasons

Aaron Boone

Helix

Quote from: bennydorano on June 30, 2017, 06:48:16 PM

You're in for a treat. Found it a great read!
It's hardly possible to build anything if frustration, bitterness and a mood of helplessness prevail

macdanger2

BennyHarp

Quote from: macdanger2 on June 30, 2017, 11:16:00 PM
Fair play Jim, hope he does well

+1 Genuinely hope he does well. I will be keeping an eye on how Beijing Sinobo Guoan get on over the next few months!
That was never a square ball!!

maigheo

Quote from: Helix on June 30, 2017, 10:46:42 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on June 30, 2017, 06:48:16 PM

You're in for a treat. Found it a great read!
Yes excellent read from start to finish and no doubt he will succeed in his new venture

Aaron Boone

His new team are away in Changchun today, 2 hours flight time from Beijing and near the North Korean border.

smelmoth

Quote from: yellowcard on June 30, 2017, 12:05:11 PM
Nothing would surprise me with McGuinness, I think its another step to top level football management which would be an incredible achievement should he ever get there given his background. Probably on a nice financial package to up roots and relocate to China too. Hopefully he does well and comes back ready for management. Probably the greatest ever revolutionary manager in GAA.

Why do you think he is progressing to top level management?

The Bearded One

Jim is on his way home according to twitter, his time with Beijing is over. I wonder what is next for the great one?
It is what it is. Presumably.