New Rules Regards Eligibility

Started by DownFanatic, December 21, 2015, 07:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

What is the exact new ruling on eligibility of 16/17 year olds in the minor age group for playing for their club senior/reserve teams?

Norf Tyrone

I think in simple terms no one can play adult football until their 17th birthday unless they are in the County minor panel where they can't play until they are out of the Championship.
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

JoG2

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2015, 07:49:18 PM
I think in simple terms no one can play adult football until their 17th birthday unless they are in the County minor panel where they can't play until they are out of the Championship.

That not right I don't think (though I hope it is right!).  To play senior next year for example,  you will have had to turn 17 this calendar year ie before 31 Dec.  A player who turns 17 anytime in the new year will not be eligible for the 2016 season.  I think.

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: JoG2 on December 21, 2015, 08:12:27 PM
Quote from: Norf Tyrone on December 21, 2015, 07:49:18 PM

That not right I don't think (though I hope it is right!).  To play senior next year for example,  you will have had to turn 17 this calendar year ie before 31 Dec.  A player who turns 17 anytime in the new year will not be eligible for the 2016 season.  I think.

Not 100 per cent but it's motion 50 here. 
http://www.gaa.ie/content/documents/GAA007_GAA_motions_web.pdf
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

JoG2

Good man norf.  So a player who turns 17 at any stage of the season is good to go?

AZOffaly

No..   

You have to be in your last year minor. I.e be
17 before 31/12 of the previous year.

JoG2

Quote from: AZOffaly on December 21, 2015, 09:50:30 PM
No..   

You have to be in your last year minor. I.e be
17 before 31/12 of the previous year.

Emm,  that's what I thought.  Thanks

Does anyone have a download of the complete rules Inc the changes @ Congress '15? 

cornerback

Couldn't see it anywhere on here but as far as I understand Callum Brown was ineligible to play for Derry last night.

So under the new rules you can be too old to play inter-county minor but not old enough to play inter-county senior.

Very strange scenario.

LooseCannon

Have to be 17 by the 31st of December 2017, in other words have to turn 18 in this year.
I know, from a rural club with 3 or 4 talented lads who turn 17 this year.
Similar situation last year.

oakleaflad

Quote from: cornerback on January 04, 2018, 10:26:24 AM
Couldn’t see it anywhere on here but as far as I understand Callum Brown was ineligible to play for Derry last night.

So under the new rules you can be too old to play inter-county minor but not old enough to play inter-county senior.

Very strange scenario.
Is it definitely that he was ineligible? If he's not young enough to be on the county U17 team surely he's already turned at least 17 before January 1st this year and will therefore turn 18 before the end of 2018. Or am I missing something?

theskull1

Need to be no older than 16 on the 31st December 2017 for U17
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

screenexile

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 04, 2018, 11:55:31 AM
Couldn’t see it anywhere on here but as far as I understand Callum Brown was ineligible to play for Derry last night.

Very strange scenario.
Is it definitely that he was ineligible? If he's not young enough to be on the county U17 team surely he's already turned at least 17 before January 1st this year and will therefore turn 18 before the end of 2018. Or am I missing something?

He has to be 18 to play Senior Inter County football!

https://twitter.com/CahairOKane1/status/948695450059706368

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on January 04, 2018, 12:13:20 PM
Couldn't see it anywhere on here but as far as I understand Callum Brown was ineligible to play for Derry last night.

Very strange scenario.

A 17 year old has no business playing senior club let alone senior county. I don't care if they're the next Gooch or the next fĂșcking Michael Jordan.

Also why is a lad who was only a sub at minor a few months ago suddenly in demand at senior IC? Was he poorly managed (by the same manager!)?

theskull1

Antrim senior hurlers played 3 x 17 year olds (will be 18 this year) the other night albeit it was against a University team. Guys not even ready for senior club and yet the County team is playing them? I don't know how these things are meant to work now :o
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

oakleaflad

Quote from: screenexile on January 04, 2018, 12:13:20 PM

Very strange scenario.

Cheers, clears that up. So that means he (and potentially many others) are too old for U17 yet too young to play county U20? Seems a bit bizzare.