GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Any idea or talk of  how the "Super 8" coverage will be divided?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2018, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: GJL on January 11, 2018, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2018, 01:31:13 PM
Personally I find sky analysis superior to the 3 begrudgers on RTE. Actually breaks down tactics instead of the usual "ach but sure they have been very defensive and awful to watch" (whilst racking up 16 scores in the first half).

It really would not be difficult to better RTE. The whole Sunday Game needs a complete make over from the studio to the presenters. It is awful. (A bit like their soccer coverage).

Sky are doing an excellent job.

Sky gloss over issues where RTE saturate coverage on them. Sky is just as bad in the other direction. I don't need cheerleaders any more than I need cynical feckers.

I get that. I do. Some of skys over excitement of dour qualifiers in July is cringe at times. However, id still rather have canavan, horan and Senan Connell than listen to old men wax lyrical about "the good old days".

The three men you named are not exactly spring chickens themselves, though. And bar Canavan none of them reached the heights the RTE crew did in the game either. Broly for all his self-publicity is watchable, and Colm O'Rourke is the only talking head who has had the balls to call out the Dublin problem and the need to restructure it.

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 07:55:09 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2018, 04:22:37 PM
Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 02:53:43 PM
Quote from: GJL on January 11, 2018, 02:48:24 PM
Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2018, 01:31:13 PM
Personally I find sky analysis superior to the 3 begrudgers on RTE. Actually breaks down tactics instead of the usual "ach but sure they have been very defensive and awful to watch" (whilst racking up 16 scores in the first half).

It really would not be difficult to better RTE. The whole Sunday Game needs a complete make over from the studio to the presenters. It is awful. (A bit like their soccer coverage).

Sky are doing an excellent job.

Sky gloss over issues where RTE saturate coverage on them. Sky is just as bad in the other direction. I don't need cheerleaders any more than I need cynical feckers.

I get that. I do. Some of skys over excitement of dour qualifiers in July is cringe at times. However, id still rather have canavan, horan and Senan Connell than listen to old men wax lyrical about "the good old days".

The three men you named are not exactly spring chickens themselves, though. and bar Canavan none of them reached the heights the RTE crew did in the game either.

To be fair, Horan is more there from his stint in management. That Senan Connell is some ginnit. Spouts more sh*te than a quality slurry tank.

Rossfan

johnneycool

Can this eirsport be got on Kodi by any chance?

Seany

I think Senan Connell is an excellent pundit. Knows the game inside out. Knows the players. Can read a game very expertly. I really rate him as a pundit.

rory

I see Free Sports are showing Dublin v Offaly and Cork v Kilkenny this Saturday.

Looking through their schedule, they look to be showing highlights of games in the following weeks starting at midnight on the Sunday morning.  They are connected to Premier Sports in some way, so they are only showing this weeks games live and are saying that the rest of the games will be live on Premier sports.

Rossfan

Esmarelda

Quote from: Rossfan on February 07, 2018, 11:22:58 AM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/sky-sports-and-eir-deals-set-in-stone-until-at-least-2021-466799.html
Reacting to the news, Leitrim chairman Terence Boyle said: "It's under contract so it's understandable....."

That's about the only part of the article that's worthwhile.

Still, it keeps the conversation going and Joe got his name in the paper again.

Maroon Manc

Anyone know how much SKY's deal is worth?

Rossfan

Do I remember a figure of  €5m for 3 years??

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 11:01:35 AM

Can't see a breakdown anywhere, all I can see is RTE's & SKY's deal bring in about 11m a year. If you're figure is right you'd really have to wonder why they bothered.

armaghniac

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 18, 2018, 04:32:01 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 18, 2018, 11:01:35 AM

Can't see a breakdown anywhere, all I can see is RTE's & SKY's deal bring in about 11m a year. If you're figure is right you'd really have to wonder why they bothered.

They want Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees-Mogg to have easy access to watching Dublin on the tele.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

tippabu

Interesting that for all the giving out (I know michael duignans auld lad wont be able to watch any gaa saturday) but SKY are showing 3 games on saturday and more importantly the choice of two games at the same time with both Leinster hurling games being shown at 7pm, something you wont get with RTE. Sunday you have Tipp Clare and Waterford Limerick on at 2, both huge games in the context of the championship but only one is going to be shown and then we get to see dublin beat longford at their ease. Credit to SKY (and eir) who are able to show games that are on at the same time and do it.

Hound

Quote from: tippabu on June 04, 2018, 09:35:11 PM
Interesting that for all the giving out (I know michael duignans auld lad wont be able to watch any gaa saturday) but SKY are showing 3 games on saturday and more importantly the choice of two games at the same time with both Leinster hurling games being shown at 7pm, something you wont get with RTE. Sunday you have Tipp Clare and Waterford Limerick on at 2, both huge games in the context of the championship but only one is going to be shown and then we get to see dublin beat longford at their ease. Credit to SKY (and eir) who are able to show games that are on at the same time and do it.

A pity the Dubs didn't beat Kilkenny like they should have, as it would have made it a really exciting end to the group stages. Instead Galway v Dublin is a dead rubber, and while the victors of Wex v KK will find themselves in a Leinster final (as big underdogs), the losers will still be in the All Ireland series.

I know one 3rd place team plays the winner of the Joe McDonagh Cup. Who does the other 3rd place team play?