GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on January 08, 2018, 12:16:21 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 12:06:17 PM
Quote from: orangeman on January 07, 2018, 11:55:24 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-aib-sky-and-other-brands-will-complete-cultural-hijacking-of-the-gaa-if-new-director-general-doesnt-act-36464318.html

Horse has bolted. It's going to be difficult getting him back into the stable.

I just can't help thinking that Joe would love to be on Sky. I think he pictured himself on Soccer AM joking with Tubes and taking the hand out of Chris Kamara on Goals on Sunday. Like a little child when he didn't get the gig he has decided to make it clear he didn't want it anyway.

What Joe is talking about in this article is a development, that for good or bad is reflected in every aspect of modern life, and you either embrace it or be left behind. If it wasn't Sky or AIB it would be someone else. I have my concerns about how modern society is developing in many aspects of life but Sky showing a few extra games of GAA isn't the ruination of everything that we hold dear. A bit of perspective, please, Joe.

You read an article like that, which is, let's face it, heartfelt and a rallying call to the new DG to keep a hold of our games, and you think the author is jealous he isn't on Sky?

The first bit in bold, referring to the GAA being left ebhind, be left behind from what or who?

The 2nd bit in bold, again, you read that article and think it's about a few extra games?

Sky, much like the likes of Apple etc are so entrenched that folk get all defensive if anyone says bad word about them.

"A rallying call to the DG?" - Give me strength! Joe does more brainwashing than Sky. All Joe's comments in relation to Sky, his snidey jibes about the female presenter, his criticisms of the analysis being bland etc and the constant tweeting of viewing figures come across as bitter to me. You may think Joe is the saviour of the GAA. I happen to think he is as self serving as the corporations he is criticising.

The GAA will get left behind in the minds of the youngsters we need to attract to the games. Like it or not, kids these days are brought up on Sky and branding and imagery. Have you ever tried to get a kid to wear anything other than branded gear these days. Listening to 3 old blokes slagging of their teams in a 1990s studio in RTE just won't cut it with young people.
That was never a square ball!!

JoG2

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 12:26:14 PM
https://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/joe-brolly-aib-sky-and-other-brands-will-complete-cultural-hijacking-of-the-gaa-if-new-director-general-doesnt-act-36464318.html

I just can't help thinking that Joe would love to be on Sky. I think he pictured himself on Soccer AM joking with Tubes and taking the hand out of Chris Kamara on Goals on Sunday. Like a little child when he didn't get the gig he has decided to make it clear he didn't want it anyway.

What Joe is talking about in this article is a development, that for good or bad is reflected in every aspect of modern life, and you either embrace it or be left behind. If it wasn't Sky or AIB it would be someone else. I have my concerns about how modern society is developing in many aspects of life but Sky showing a few extra games of GAA isn't the ruination of everything that we hold dear. A bit of perspective, please, Joe.

You read an article like that, which is, let's face it, heartfelt and a rallying call to the new DG to keep a hold of our games, and you think the author is jealous he isn't on Sky?

The first bit in bold, referring to the GAA being left ebhind, be left behind from what or who?

The 2nd bit in bold, again, you read that article and think it's about a few extra games?

Sky, much like the likes of Apple etc are so entrenched that folk get all defensive if anyone says bad word about them.

"A rallying call to the DG?" - Give me strength! Joe does more brainwashing than Sky. All Joe's comments in relation to Sky, his snidey jibes about the female presenter, his criticisms of the analysis being bland etc and the constant tweeting of viewing figures come across as bitter to me. You may think Joe is the saviour of the GAA. I happen to think he is as self serving as the corporations he is criticising.

The GAA will get left behind in the minds of the youngsters we need to attract to the games. Like it or not, kids these days are brought up on Sky and branding and imagery. Have you ever tried to get a kid to wear anything other than branded gear these days. Listening to 3 old blokes slagging of their teams in a 1990s studio in RTE just won't cut it with young people.

So we need Sky? Job done !

BennyHarp

Quote from: JoG2 on January 08, 2018, 12:32:44 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 12:26:14 PM

So we need Sky? Job done !

If it wasn't sky it would be someone else.

DuffleKing

Exactly

Seany

Brolly's latest incoherent rant,  could be retitled 'I'm pissed off that a GAA impersonator wasn't allowed to impersonate me and very pissed off that other people are allowed to talk about games on TV on another station forbye me'. 

Following on from his recent rant which actually stated in black and white that the GAA should have a strategy on homelessness, which could be retitled 'Hi lads, Look at me!  I did a night sleepout for the homeless and guess what, I took one of them home'  Aye - me - the fella who gave away his kidney and said nothing about it (apart from about three documentaries)

Surely people can see through this nonsense by now.

Syferus

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 23, 2017, 09:36:27 AM
Quite apart from Rachel Wyse, who actually does a good job as a presenter despite Syferus' opinion that she's just eye candy, I found the contributions of James Horan, Peter Canavan, Jamsie O'Connor and Ollie Canning to be more interesting than the nonsense on the RTÉ panel. I also think Dave McIntyre is a good commentator, although I can't warm to Finnerty commentating. All in all I wouldn't dismiss sky's coverage with a Brolly style eye candy comment.

She does her job just fine but based on the stream of lecherous comments here they're few here that would care if she was presenting the show in German or Morse code - they're not taking her seriously in the first place. The positive reviews of her here pretty much entirely revolve around the fact she's a blonde, relatively attractive young woman.

BennyHarp

Quote from: Syferus on January 08, 2018, 01:32:47 PM
Quite apart from Rachel Wyse, who actually does a good job as a presenter despite Syferus' opinion that she's just eye candy, I found the contributions of James Horan, Peter Canavan, Jamsie O'Connor and Ollie Canning to be more interesting than the nonsense on the RTÉ panel. I also think Dave McIntyre is a good commentator, although I can't warm to Finnerty commentating. All in all I wouldn't dismiss sky's coverage with a Brolly style eye candy comment.

She does her job just fine but based on the stream of lecherous comments here they're few here that would care if she was presenting the show in German or Morse code - they're not taking her seriously in the first place. The positive reviews of her here pretty much entirely revolve around the fact she's a blonde, relatively attractive young woman.

The bit in bold is enough. The rest of your post is irrelevant.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 01:41:23 PM

Sorry, but rampant objectification is never irrelevant.

tonto1888

Quote from: Syferus on January 08, 2018, 01:45:48 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on January 08, 2018, 01:41:23 PM

Sorry, but rampant objectification is never irrelevant.

On this, I will agree with you

RedHand88

Personally I find sky analysis superior to the 3 begrudgers on RTE. Actually breaks down tactics instead of the usual "ach but sure they have been very defensive and awful to watch" (whilst racking up 16 scores in the first half).

GJL

Quote from: RedHand88 on January 11, 2018, 01:31:13 PM
Personally I find sky analysis superior to the 3 begrudgers on RTE. Actually breaks down tactics instead of the usual "ach but sure they have been very defensive and awful to watch" (whilst racking up 16 scores in the first half).

It really would not be difficult to better RTE. The whole Sunday Game needs a complete make over from the studio to the presenters. It is awful. (A bit like their soccer coverage).

Sky are doing an excellent job.

Syferus

Quote from: GJL on January 11, 2018, 02:48:24 PM

It really would not be difficult to better RTE. The whole Sunday Game needs a complete make over from the studio to the presenters. It is awful. (A bit like their soccer coverage).

Sky gloss over issues where RTE saturate coverage on them. Sky is just as bad in the other direction. I don't need cheerleaders any more than I need cynical feckers.

Esmarelda

I actually think that RTE have upped their game since Sky got involved, coincidentally or not.

They often give a decent analysis of defensive systems being used from a behind the goals viewpoint.

And what's wrong with RTE's soccer coverage?

rosnarun

soccer coverage is just a sound board for Dumphys very considered and strongly but ever changing opinion depending on who is winning' opinion
like brolly too much shote to listen to in search of odd intelligent word
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

RedHand88

Quote from: Syferus on January 11, 2018, 02:53:43 PM

Sky gloss over issues where RTE saturate coverage on them. Sky is just as bad in the other direction. I don't need cheerleaders any more than I need cynical feckers.

I get that. I do. Some of skys over excitement of dour qualifiers in July is cringe at times. However, id still rather have canavan, horan and Senan Connell than listen to old men wax lyrical about "the good old days".