GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dont Matter

Lads, the fellas up in HQ are operating the GAA as a business. They wouldn't have their highly paid jobs otherwise. They make money for the association and every club and county needs money so in one sense they should be welcomed, but there are huge downsides for the rank and file members.
Selling rights to setanta or sky or whoever, giving the English queen and Garth Brooks access to Croke Park. Worries about the game going professional are legitimate as there's already 1 county operating at this status. As I've said the GAA is a business now and this county makes them a lot of money so it's in HQ's interests to make them successful. This means giving Dublin unlimited funds and building them state of the art facilities.
Money is important for everyone in the association, we all need it, but what price are we willing to pay? In my view it's gone too far, the pitfalls are far outweighing the rewards.
'Dublin is not a national problem, it's a national opportunity.'
Peter Quinn

Fuzzman

Good point No Matter. I better write that down in case I forget it
::) ::) ::)

Rossfan

Let's wait for the details first perhaps?
All I've heard so far is a report by that bastion of Gaeldom the "Irish" Independent".
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

easytiger95

From what I've heard, Sky's coverage is essentially TV3's old package and a little bit more. TV3 may be the big losers here

AZOffaly

And would the Sky broadcasts be available in Ireland then easytiger?

easytiger95

Oh yeah, but on their subscription service AFAIK. But I wouldn't discount them doing stuff like putting matches on Sky 1 free to air (that's not anything I heard, just speculation - it might defuse the situation if the GAA start getting a load of flak).

I've been out of the business myself for a couple of years so I'm a bit removed but i think in general, it is a positive development for the GAA. From a purely technical point of view, Sky have access to resources that RTE and TV3 don't, through no fault of their own. I'm sure they'll push the coverage forward.

AZOffaly

I have the Sky Sports subscription, so from a selfish point of view 'I'm alright Jack' if they show them in Ireland. I thought we'd have a Irish and UK rights situation. I guarantee you Sky Sports won't be putting the down in the mouth football analysts on the panel. They'll want to hype it to the last, so I expect football's Liam Griffin and Cyril Farrell there :)

easytiger95

AZOffaly

No, but isnt that a telling thing actually. Who would the most upbeat of pundits be?

Jarlath Burns on tG4 and BBC seems to actually enjoy the games. Who else? They'll probably get Wooly Parkinson or some other dingdong.

Jeepers Creepers

Genuine Q.  Should they not look into creating a 'GAA' pay subscription channel and creating their own network?

Bord na Mona man

If it's a good deal for the GAA and doesn't disenfranchise the viewing public significantly then I don't mind.

Currently, it can be random what games get shown on live tv. So people are already consigned to the idea that a game they have an interest in won't get covered.

Selling rights to Sky may boost revenues and open new audiences abroad. Even in Ireland it may give the games extra prestige to those who still view gaelic games as small time, parochial affairs.

What will Sky's coverage be like, I wonder? Will it they give it the Sky treatment - dozens of cameras and the big build up.
Or will it be RTE's coverage reheated - Victor Meldrew punditry, pitchside interviews with a dozen rubber neckers leering into the camera, ad break music montages showing all the mistimed tackles and mistakes.

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: hardstation on March 28, 2014, 12:09:05 PM
Nah, they'll have to get Spillane & Brolly on. I can imagine the half time analysis of the first game.

Brolly
"I don't know what to say to that first half. That was the antithesis of Gaelic Football. Really depressing, mind-numbing stuff. If I was watching this at home, I'd get out of the house and go for a long drive. And, Antrim, Antrim? I have no idea what they have been doing since January but to turn up and produce that at this time of the year is an embarrassment to the game. Brutal."

Spillane:
"The game is dead, Michael."

haha Repeat year after year...

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: Bord na Mona man on March 28, 2014, 12:14:43 PM
If it's a good deal for the GAA and doesn't disenfranchise the viewing public significantly then I don't mind.

Currently, it can be random what games get shown on live tv. So people are already consigned to the idea that a game they have an interest in won't get covered.

Selling rights to Sky may boost revenues and open new audiences abroad. Even in Ireland it may give the games extra prestige to those who still view gaelic games as small time, parochial affairs.

What will Sky's coverage be like, I wonder? Will it they give it the Sky treatment - dozens of cameras and the big build up.
Or will it be RTE's coverage reheated - Victor Meldrew punditry, pitchside interviews with a dozen rubber neckers leering into the camera, ad break music montages showing all the mistimed tackles and mistakes.

See Skys coverage of the Irish League in the North.

easytiger95

Don't think there is a comparison there - the Irish League coverage is a contractual add on to the international games, so it will always be a lower priority. they have to go full power on this as they are principal rights holders and they are spending a lot of money to get involved.

Bord na Mona man

Can't say I've ever watched it, but I'm prejudiced against Irish League soccer anyway.

That annoying moment when the BBC's Final Score are about to show the updated Premier League table and it suddenly cuts over to the NI sports feed. We then get treated to 10 minutes of NI club soccer, which should be running to a backing track of the 'Walk of Life' by Dire Straits.