GAA doing a deal with SkySports

Started by thejuice, March 27, 2014, 02:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

square_ball

Good news about RTE introducing a 2nd highlights programme. It will be interesting to see what they do with this. It will be badly needed if a lot of the games won't be live on TV.

armaghniac

Quote from: markl121 on October 25, 2022, 02:10:49 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: thewobbler on October 25, 2022, 12:35:35 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on October 25, 2022, 12:19:10 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on October 24, 2022, 10:25:25 PM
I'd say Virgin will step back in and TG4 get more.
Plus RTÉ would have more live league games.

RTÉ are far from flush and they will need to go big for the Women's World Cup in 2023 too.

Any organisation that can't offer full coverage over the 32 counties should not be considered.

So if BBC NI wish to show Fermanagh v Derry next year (which let's be honest, isn't going to make a stir in the lower 26), just say no?

I could stand corrected, but is BBC NI not on Saerview?
Have definitely watched bbc in southern hotels and bnbs. Also watched liz truss resigning live on the web player the other day

Of course BBC is on cable and can be received from Satellite, but it is not on Saorview.
The player not working is a broader issue, whatever about drama etc in my opinion local NI content news, current affairs etc should at least be available in the 26 counties.
Very occasionally they put something like the McRory finals on the website without the geoblock.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Feckitt

twohands!!!

Quote from: 5times5times on October 25, 2022, 02:26:13 PM
Did RTE not show 31 last year too? Sad step backwards losing the 14 Sky and not being replaced.

There's also the fact that the football championship will have 55 extra games next year under the new structure.

Will be interesting to see how many of these games will be €10 each on GAA Go.

Seems like this deal is all about swapping SKY PPV for RTE PPV.

sam03/05

Newstalk not getting any radio coverage is shite too
Often the RTE Saturday / Sunday sport is covering everything from tiddlywinks to womens volleyball  and there is no full live coverage of games , without interruption.
Also because they are covering so much on a Saturday or Sunday some of the later games don't even get covered at all, particularly league games, instead there is some crap documentary on. All this and they have exclusive rights to cover on radio.

Captain Scarlet

I'm a Virgin TV customer and for some reason at times I'd couldn't get the BBC championship stuff.
Like RTÉ are hoovering up rights for lots of things but then can't do it justice.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Saffrongael

Plenty more Marty Morrissey then ffs
Let no-one say the best hurlers belong to the past. They are with us now, and better yet to come

Gabriel_Hurl

Quote from: Cavan19 on October 25, 2022, 03:01:16 PM
Looks like GAAGO is going to take up the slack.

Sure it's only as good as the broadcaster carrying the match. Is the GAA going to have their own cameras and commentators at matches not shown on RTE?

AustinPowers

I'd there anything  to be said for another mass a  type of final score/soccer Saturday  type show for Rte on League Sunday's in particular?

#unbelievablemarty

lenny

Any tv deals should come with the proviso that any coverage is available to all 32 counties. It's a 32 county sport and I find it disgusting when games aren't available to us in the north.

Hound

Quote from: twohands!!! on October 25, 2022, 04:38:44 PM

Big difference between subscription model (Sky) and PPV model (GAAgo). Sky have some events on PPV like boxing, but never GAA. So if you are a Sky Sports subscriber or Dodgy Box holder, the Sky games cost you nothing. The option to drop round to the local to watch it is also unlikely to be an option with GAA Go.

We can see now why the GAA refused to allow Sky get more games, they wanted to expand GAA Go. More money in the coffers.

They'll offer a season ticket and will say this is great value at a few euro per week or a few euro per game, when you buy them all. But I'd say they'll try and fleece us with the price per individual game. They'll have big games too including at least one football provincial final and big games prior to the AI semi finals.

The football followers usually take these 'setbacks' lying down, but the hurling lads will create a big hullaballoo when they figure this all out!

Armagh18

Quote from: Hound on October 26, 2022, 08:15:43 AM

Big difference between subscription model (Sky) and PPV model (GAAgo). Sky have some events on PPV like boxing, but never GAA. So if you are a Sky Sports subscriber or Dodgy Box holder, the Sky games cost you nothing. The option to drop round to the local to watch it is also unlikely to be an option with GAA Go.

We can see now why the GAA refused to allow Sky get more games, they wanted to expand GAA Go. More money in the coffers.

They'll offer a season ticket and will say this is great value at a few euro per week or a few euro per game, when you buy them all. But I'd say they'll try and fleece us with the price per individual game. They'll have big games too including at least one football provincial final and big games prior to the AI semi finals.

The football followers usually take these 'setbacks' lying down, but the hurling lads will create a big hullaballoo when they figure this all out!
Agree with most of your post, but if your local can't get GAAGO then you need a new local

Cavan19

Quote from: lenny on October 25, 2022, 10:18:39 PM
Any tv deals should come with the proviso that any coverage is available to all 32 counties. It's a 32 county sport and I find it disgusting when games aren't available to us in the north.

Well Sky are out of the way now so that shouldn't be an issue.

armaghniac

Quote from: Hound on October 26, 2022, 08:15:43 AM

You wouldn't mind paying for a season ticket, if they provided a reasonable service. That is, not only live games, but the opportunity to watch later and if they built substantial highlights packages and had preview programmes.
As for pay per view, there is some displacement from actual attendance in some cases. It is much cheaper to watch than travel to the game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Jeepers Creepers

Will there be a pay not to view for most football games?