Referees Recruitment Drive

Started by Sky Blue, November 17, 2006, 10:11:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sky Blue

Nicky Brennan has launched a referees recruitment drive. He's trying to encourage more (especially ex-players) to take up the whistle. I only managed to play a few junior match this year and I'll not be toggin out next year unless we're down to 14. I was sort of thinkin about refereeing. Are any posters on here refs who would share their experience? What's the selection procedure? How are you treated by players, officials and supporters. How do they decide what matches yiou should ref? How many games do you have to do a week? Things like that.

full back

Jesus Sky Blue-would you seriously do it? Considering the sh1t you have to listen to.No doubt you would be well respected within your club but outside of this you just cant win

cavan4ever

I have a mate that does it.  It's not a bad little money earner  its €40 a game and 3-4 games a week would b normal enough in the summer time.  I wouldn't do it myself simply because of the abuse ref's.

playwiththewind1st

selection procedure - put your name forward to your Referees' Committee.......they'll be glad to have you.

how are you treated? let's be honest.......that's the major drawback of the job........make sure you have a thick skin.

allocation of matches........usually the Referees' Committee will allocate you a match, although the powers that be will select referees for important championship matches.

how often.......7 nights a week & frequently 2 matches in a day if you'll let them away with it. my record for a championship match was 50 minutes notice !!

other than that, good luck, it can be extremely trying @ times (no point denying it), but it has its rewards.

lynchbhoy

I'd consider it
but would prob have to get divorced first...

amallon

You'd want to be thick skinned Sky Blue.  I've umpired a few big games for our clubs ref and the level of abuse is uncalled for.  The loosing team will always be trying to pin some of the blame on the ref instead of looking at their own short comings.

GAA refs need to be given the same level of respect that rugby refs get, no one can speak to him bar the two captains.  If GAA refs got this level of respect it would really help the recruitment campaign.

I'd love to ref myself, it would be good exercise and I'd be putting something back.  But there is no way I'd do it if I thought I was going to take a load of verbals every game.  There is also the affect it might have on your social life, maybe there might be certain bars and night clubs you couldn't go into for fear some clown you'd sent of previously wants a bit of retribution.  Maybe someone who is actually a ref would be better placed to let you know if this is a problem or not.
Disclaimer: I am responsible for MY comments only.  I don't own this site.

Square Ball

I bet there are a few refs on this board who will tell you the craic.

lets face it, refs are constantly critisised on this board and amonst the media at large, we do it then? its for the love of the game, without them we cannot play its as simple as that. Go for it Sky Blue!!
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

cavanmaniac

So this 'recruitment drive' basically amounts to a bit of a launch at Croke Park and a few posters for the new officer to hand out?

Why don't they concentrate on tackling the real impediment to people becoming referees like the abuse mentioned above, the failure to back them up in committee rooms (Gerry Kinneavy), lack of protection from spectators and so on? Opportunity missed perhaps?

neilthemac

When I referee a game I would always outline to both teams that if there is any abuse hurled towards me the ball will be moved forward or the yellow card got out

If a manager roars abuse he/she is gone from the pitch

Romeo

Quote from: cavanmaniac on November 17, 2006, 11:19:35 AM
So this 'recruitment drive' basically amounts to a bit of a launch at Croke Park and a few posters for the new officer to hand out?

Why don't they concentrate on tackling the real impediment to people becoming referees like the abuse mentioned above, the failure to back them up in committee rooms (Gerry Kinneavy), lack of protection from spectators and so on? Opportunity missed perhaps?

Well said Maniac, the abuse refs get in GAA is a joke. It's spot on in Rugby, it's always great to see a 6ft 10" man being put in his spot by a ref. It all boils down to respect and the rugby boys have been brought up with having respect for refs and knowing bloody well they won't get away giving sh*te to refs! In GAA you see managers and parents of under 10's giving dogs abuse to the ref, so what do you expect the kids to do, but nothing is ever done to clamp down on the side of the ref.

BenDover

Thats prob the best stance to take themac but u'd need to be away in the head to do it in the first place. Sometimes there's no pleasing anyone

bailestil

QuoteThe Leinster Council has come down hard on Carlow champions Palatine after Westmeath referee Pat Fox was assaulted during their recent club championship quarter-final against Rhode of Offaly.

Having considered the Referee's Report on the game played on Sunday 5th November 2006 and having interviewed P.Treacy, T. Fitzharris(Officers of Palatine Club), Brian Farrell Jnr., Niall Reid (Palatine players), Michael Lillis (Palatine Team Manager), Brian Farrell Snr. (Palatine club member), Joe Kilmurray (Rhode player) and Joe Masterson (Rhode Officer), and having viewed a DVD recording of the game, the Leinster Games Administration Committee (at its meeting on 16.11.2006) imposed the following sanctions:-

A. Brian Farrell Jnr. (Palatine player) - suspended for twelve weeks in accordance with Rule 142 (3) (i) T.O.

B. Niall Reid (Palatine Player) - suspended for twenty four weeks in accordance with Rule 142 (3) (ii) T.O.

C. Michael Lillis (Palatine Team Manager) - suspended for twenty four weeks in accordance with Rule 142 (3) (i) T.O.

D. Brian Farrell Snr. (Palatine member) expelled from the Association in accordance with Rule 144 T.O.

E. Paul Reid (Palatine player) - suspended for four weeks in accordance with Rule 142 T.O. This penalty also includes the next game in the competition even if the next game falls outside the suspension period.

F. Joe Kilmurray (Rhode player) - suspended for four weeks in accordance with Rule 142 T.O. This penalty also includes the next game in the competition even if the next game falls outside the suspension period.

N.B. In the case of (A) above the suspension commences from the date of his last game played.
In the cases of (E) and (F) above the suspensions commence from the date of their last game played at the relevant level and in the relevant code.
In the cases of (B) (C) and (D) above the suspensions / sanction commence from 16th November 2006.

Thats a bit more like it!!
Them sanctions don't go far enough, but at least its more than some commitee's will hand down!

Croí na hÉireann

Anyone know exactly what happened???
Westmeath - Home of the Christy Ring Cup...

Bacon

Is there a shortage of refs in many counties? In Down most adult football & hurling games are covered ok and it's rare for a ref not to turn up. At juvenile levels it not too bad either but its the same auld faces knocking their pans in doing 6-7 games a week.  In ladies football & camogie there seems to be a real shortage of refs and ofter team managers referee. What's it like in other counties.

I have to say it's something I would never consider doing myself. It must be very lonely on the pitch by yourself when you've called something wrong and the supporters and players are all giving you dogs abuse. I've better things to do with my time.
Down Championships Prediction League Winner 2009