Ulster Championship is Muck

Started by bennydorano, June 03, 2012, 10:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bennydorano

No getting away with it anymore, i've never seen worse, each game more putrid than the last.

bennydorano

A lot riding on next week's 'glamour' game, if it's shite i might be forced to start watching tennis.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: bennydorano on June 03, 2012, 10:39:32 PM
A lot riding on next week's 'glamour' game, if it's shite i might be forced to start watching tennis.

it will be - they all will be. This is the 2010's now. I was saying to a work colleuge during the week that it would be great if 2 of the best forwards in Ulster football of the last 20 years would pass some of it on to their 2 teams for todays match  - didnt happen
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

omagh_gael

It has been pure dirt to be fair but there are always shit games in all provinces in the first few rounds, takes a while for the cream to rise to the top. Been suggested before, but how much would a rule like always having to have a least 4 forwards in the oppositions half at all times go towards preventing games like todays? It would be easily enough policed.

Wildweasel74

it wont get any better, been poor now for a number of years, at least longford and wexford is decent to watch though the standard wouldn't be of the highest, ulster managers care about results and in some cases just keeping games tight, nearly all the teams in ulster play a very defensive game (negative) in search of the Anglo Celt, most know that system wouldn't work for an all ireland though donegal nearly proved different last year, Tyrone with abit more talent than the rest can afford to play more open but teams with less talent will play defensive, keep it tight to near the end of the game and try wear down / catch the opposition on the hop. its terrible as a spectator sport, terrible to watch on TV, but i cant see what can be done about it,

ONeill

It's awful stuff. All 4 provinces are suffering though some of the mismatches at this stage in other provinces disguises it.

All Jim McGuinness's fault. If he can take a middlin side to the cusp of an All-Ireland we'll all do it now. Dublin and Tyrone got away with it as they'd explosive enough forwards and a bit of pace on the counter to rack up 20 scores. The likes of Fermanagh will try to win a game scoring 10 times.

Seriously believe we're going to see a 11 or 12 score game this year. 0-7 to 0-5. A score for each every 10 bucking minutes.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Leo

Quote from: ONeill on June 04, 2012, 12:07:50 AM
It's awful stuff. All 4 provinces are suffering though some of the mismatches at this stage in other provinces disguises it.

All Jim McGuinness's fault. If he can take a middlin side to the cusp of an All-Ireland we'll all do it now. Dublin and Tyrone got away with it as they'd explosive enough forwards and a bit of pace on the counter to rack up 20 scores. The likes of Fermanagh will try to win a game scoring 10 times.

Seriously believe we're going to see a 11 or 12 score game this year. 0-7 to 0-5. A score for each every 10 bucking minutes.

That's choice stuff coming from a re hand!!

Armagh's "invention" became Tyrone's dogma and now everyone from Fermanagh to Kerry is playing the possession game, the Irish version of rugby league - without the disciplne!

Gaelic football is at crisis point. It's mostly unwatchable unless you are a diehard supporter. So called sports scientists have taken a beautiful pyhysical encounter and turned it into a negative keep-ball bore-fest.

So today, two of the most exciting forwards of the last 30 years preside over teams whose workaday "athletes" go out only to prevent their counterparts from playing - and to hell with skill and expression.

Watch those attendance figures tumble.
Fierce tame altogether

ONeill

I know what you mean with the Tyrone thing but from 03-08 their defensive players (all 12-13 of them) were equally capable of scoring a couple of points a game.

That's the thing which disappoints me most. I know Canavan can't make a silk purse or polish a turd but there's an ethos he can promote. He's not anywhere near the major villain but I think managers who espouse an attacking philosophy (or even a traditional 6 forwards one) should be given a bit of a free ride from the press and supporters. Tipping point indeed. 13-a-side is shuttling our direction.

I'm not paying in to watch that crap. I know the 80s football was neanderthalic but at least it was full blooded 15 v 15. It's a tough one because players and managers are tactically intelligent and know the value in percentages. We'll never have the traditional game again and there's also value in that.

The game is evolving with 5-12 on the team sheet played with the same directives. It's a cleverer game but hard on the eyes unless you have 3 excellent forwards on both sides.

Ulick

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on June 03, 2012, 11:59:59 PM
it wont get any better, been poor now for a number of years, at least longford and wexford is decent to watch though the standard wouldn't be of the highest, ulster managers care about results and in some cases just keeping games tight, nearly all the teams in ulster play a very defensive game (negative) in search of the Anglo Celt, most know that system wouldn't work for an all ireland though donegal nearly proved different last year, Tyrone with abit more talent than the rest can afford to play more open but teams with less talent will play defensive, keep it tight to near the end of the game and try wear down / catch the opposition on the hop. its terrible as a spectator sport, terrible to watch on TV, but i cant see what can be done about it,

Thought it was poor myself. Was near ten minutes in before anyone kicked a ball in play. Gave up at half time.

rrhf

Am I alone in thinking that todayss game was dead on

ONeill

Quote from: rrhf on June 04, 2012, 01:37:02 AM
Am I alone in thinking that todayss game was dead on

I hope so.

No real Cush talent on view. Fermanagh's first score from play was when?

The Worker

Minor football is better viewing than the main event.

oakleafgael

Quote from: The Worker on June 04, 2012, 08:10:53 AM

I used to think the same until I went to watch the Derry v Donegal minor game last weekend. Donegal played the same way as their senior team. Even when they needed to push on in the second half they insisted in playing with 2 men inside the Derry 45. It will eventually seep into other counties. It has already become prevalent at club level.

Applesisapples

The Wexford Longford game was poor as well, two teams oveplaying the ball and trying their best not to score. The Dubs were made look special by a poor Louth team. Makes me long for the balmy days of autumn watching Cross strut there stuff. County teams could take a leaf out of Tony's book.

eddie d

Quote from: oakleafgael on June 04, 2012, 10:24:51 AM
Quote from: The Worker on June 04, 2012, 08:10:53 AM

I used to think the same until I went to watch the Derry v Donegal minor game last weekend. Donegal played the same way as their senior team. Even when they needed to push on in the second half they insisted in playing with 2 men inside the Derry 45. It will eventually seep into other counties. It has already become prevalent at club level.

Agree, for a while the derry players just passed the ball along the 45, no donegal players near them