Ulster Championship Latest Odds

Started by Orangemac, May 08, 2012, 10:19:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orangemac

Less than 2 weeks till Ulster championship kicks off.Latest odds.

Armagh look short odds, not sure what these are based on. Down on paper have their best chance of getting to a final since 2003 is it?

Tyrone          15/8
Donegal        9/2
Down             5/1
Armagh          6/1
Derry             13/2
Monaghan     7/1
Fermanagh    25/1
Antrim            25/1
Cavan            50/1         

mylestheslasher

Surely the longest odds on cavan in the history of the Ulster championship

PAULD123

So basically it is Tyrone as clear favourites with any one of about five other sides having a roughly equal chance. I think Monaghan are over-rated in this list and Fermanagh are underrated. If Fermanagh beat us then they have a better than fair chance of beating Monaghan/Antrim.

Down, Donegal, Armagh & Derry should all have the same odds as they all have roughly the same chance.

In pure betting terms perhaps Down should maybe be second favourites simply because of the draw and their "easier" route meaning they should only have to beat one team from Divsion 1 to win the title (I'm putting Tyrone as a Division 1 side as where they finished their league is more relevant than where they started)

rodney trotter

Derry at 13/2 i think are good value. They would have beaten Donegal last year in the Ulster Final  if they had one of the Bradleys available, Paddy is back this year - not sure what the story with Eoin is or has he played any football since his year last year.

Captain Obvious

Looking at the draw one would have to fancy a Tyrone v Donegal Ulster final.

BennyCake

Armagh have no chance. It's between Tyrone and Donegal.

J70

Quote from: rodney trotter on May 09, 2012, 05:47:52 PM
Derry at 13/2 i think are good value. They would have beaten Donegal last year in the Ulster Final  if they had one of the Bradleys available, Paddy is back this year - not sure what the story with Eoin is or has he played any football since his year last year.

Really? No doubts about it??

They've beaten Donegal ONCE in the championship in four meetings over the past six years. Bradleys, either one or both, were present in three of those games. Plus, Donegal were not using swarming defense then.

Orior

Cavan must be warming up after two U21 titles.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

seafoid

Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 08, 2012, 11:14:34 PM
Behind Fermanagh and Antrim. Surely it can't get any worse.
At least you can't be relegated  ;)

mylestheslasher

Quote from: seafoid on May 09, 2012, 07:56:40 PM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on May 08, 2012, 11:14:34 PM
Behind Fermanagh and Antrim. Surely it can't get any worse.
At least you can't be relegated  ;)

I know, relegation down to lower levels like connacht would be unbearable.  ;)

donegal lad

Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 09, 2012, 06:10:38 PM
will be a bit hard for this to happen asthey are on the same side of the draw and will meet in a repeat of last years semi final should they both win their games before it. reckon 9/2 is good odds on us to retain but a lot may come down to the fitness of michael murphy and few other key men

Captain Obvious

Quote from: donegal lad on May 10, 2012, 07:43:23 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on May 09, 2012, 06:10:38 PM
will be a bit hard for this to happen asthey are on the same side of the draw and will meet in a repeat of last years semi final should they both win their games before it. reckon 9/2 is good odds on us to retain but a lot may come down to the fitness of michael murphy and few other key men
Your right and i'm wrong. A good draw for Down winner of Tyrone vs Donegal should win it.

regal

You can put a line through armagh and derry when looking at who will win the ulster title. There should be a monaghan v down semi final and i would fancy monaghan to get to the final. I would fancy them to win it if they weren't playing tyrone. They always disappoint when the pressue has been on over recent years - perhaps less pressure now with such a dismal year and a half under eamon mcenaney.

PAULD123

Quote from: regal on May 10, 2012, 10:55:42 PM
You can put a line through armagh and derry when looking at who will win the ulster title. There should be a monaghan v down semi final and i would fancy monaghan to get to the final. I would fancy them to win it if they weren't playing tyrone. They always disappoint when the pressue has been on over recent years - perhaps less pressure now with such a dismal year and a half under eamon mcenaney.

Strange comment. You expect Monaghan to win after "a dismal year and a half", and having just been relegated twice in a row? Whereas Down have reached and All-Ireland final and have finished top 4 in Division 1 for two years running. So all this information somehow makes Monaghan more likely to win?????

Incidentally I would be confident of Down beating Monaghan in a semi-final. But I am much more worried about another balls-up in Brewster Park like 2009. Unlike Monaghan, Fermanagh have had anything but a dismal season and are full of confidence.