Your GAA induction/indoctrination

Started by seafoid, March 08, 2010, 11:23:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ?
Who played in the match?
Do you remember anything about it ?
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ?
What was your first match in Croke Park ? 
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ?
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ?
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Olly

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? - 4
Who played in the match? - St John's and St Paul's
Do you remember anything about it ? - I remember the soldiers intimidating the goalkeeper behind the goals
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? - Cardinal Conway and Michael Lyster
What was your first match in Croke Park ?  - Never played there
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Jim Nelson, Jim Murray and Stephen Ramsey
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? Yes
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ?
[/quote] No
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

TacadoirArdMhacha

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? 8
Who played in the match? Armagh v Donegal in Breffni Park
Do you remember anything about it ? Yeah -- Donegal as All Ireland champions snatched a draw with the last kick of the game, Armagh had led the whole way
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? My da
What was your first match in Croke Park ? 1994 - NFL semi-final against Laois
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Ger Houlihan, Martin McQuillan, Benny Tierney
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? Na my da's not a big clubman and only really goes to championship and home league Armagh matches. Myself and my cousins would have a similar interest
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? Na
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

T Fearon

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? 13, in 1972, the Ulster Final, and Donegal's first ever Ulster title win I believe. Another vivid memory is the 1973 Corn Na Nog Cup Final in which my school participated and were beaten by St Colman's. Remember the ref was Patsy Devlin from Tyrone who the previous year refereed the All Ireland FinalWho played in the match? Donegal beat Tyrone ;D

Do you remember anything about it ? Vaguely remember standing up the old grass bank hill in Clones  with my parents, unable to see too much. However I remember vividly being in a pub after the game and the Anglo Celt trophy came round and even got a sip of illicit brew out of it (illicit for me because I was no where near 18 years of age)

Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Two teachers at Primary School in what was a predominately soccer area.

What was your first match in Croke Park ?  Armagh V Clare, League in 1976.

Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? The Down 1968 team particularly Sean O'Neill and Colm Mc Alarney, also Tony Mc Teague of Offaly, as they were prominent when my interest was nurtured and I liked his Christian name

Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? No one as interested, though some are interested. Late brother played County Football at all levels, and won a Sigerson Cup medal in 1982 and was selected on Combined Universities team.

No. In fact one of the teachers used soccer stars of the era as an example of doing right, and others as an example of how not to behave. I do remember playimg soccer on the local GAA field however and being told to quickly pick up solo and hand pass when a club stalwart was seen approaching

AFS

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? Presumably I was at matches while still in the pram but the first I can remember was at 5.
Who played in the match? Armagh - Down, Ulster championship 1991.
Do you remember anything about it ? My evil mother tricking me into supporting Down, culminating with the purchasing of one of their ugly red and black rags. A day that is still the source of much shame.
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Da.
What was your first match in Croke Park ? 1992 AI Final - I'm told I fell asleep during the minor game only to wake up to see Armagh lose it in injury time.
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Houlie, Anthony Tohill, Keith Barr, Colin Corkery.
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? Da and Grandfather.
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? Don't think so.

Shamrock Shore

At what age did you go to your first GAA match? Can't remember - late 60s prob in a pram.
Who played in the match? Can't remember - local club match - Mostrim v XYZ
Do you remember anything about it ? No. Prob got in free!
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Auld lad. Player at the time.
What was your first match in Croke Park ? 1975 AI Final. Wet day. Mickey Ned got pole-axed.
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? The 74 Dubs.
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical. That would be an ecumenical matter.

Club Rossa

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? - 6
Who played in the match? - Ardboe v Moortown 1983 cship semi final
Do you remember anything about it ? - Ardboe were 8 points and a man down and came back to draw,won the replay.
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? - Father
What was your first match in Croke Park ?  - Dublin v Tyrone 1984 all ireland semi final
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? - Frank McGuigan,Bomber Liston.
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? - Father and brothers
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? - No,soccer was followed as well.

The Subbie

At what age did you go to your first GAA match? 6
Who played in the match?Monaghan V Kerry, Kerry would have done all the playing :-[
Do you remember anything about it ? It was the start of a hatred grudging admiration of kerry football and crepe paper hats
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Me father and Grandfather
What was your first match in Croke Park ? As above
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Nudie, Gerry McCarville, Horse Kennelly, John Egan.
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical. If the grandfather seen me or the brother playing soccer there would be no 99 that evening, we soon copped on that to get a 99 one played football and in Monaghan tradition got stuck in when you were at it,  :), great memories.

Orior

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? 4. I remember fighting with a kid from the opposition. He used his nails which I thought was grossly onfair

Who played in the match? Poyntzpass versus Whitecross at the old pitch along the Canal Bank. You had to cross the railway tracks to get to the field. Grossly dangerous.

Do you remember anything about it? All the players seemed like giants to me. All gross.

Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Father and elder brother. Both gross.

What was your first match in Croke Park?  St Colmans College Newry versus St Jaraths Tuam (I think) circa 1975. Cant remember who we played in the semi-final. I was, of course, a spectator and sat beside Mr Goss.

Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? All Down men  :( Colm McAlarney, Paddy Doherty, Sean O'Neill

Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are? Oh yes, even my sisters are as amd about it as I am

Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical? In St Colmans Newry, soccer was frowned upon. Strangely, I might have supported N Ireland during the... ahem... home championships but that would have been the last time
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

AZOffaly

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? The first I can remember was probably about 4, but I was going since I was born.
Who played in the match? Saint Mary's Rochfortbridge against Shandonagh I think. Westmeath League Football
Do you remember anything about it? The Rochfortbrige lads had a player called Black Pat Bradley. He had body hair like a gorilla.
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Father and Mother
What was your first match in Croke Park?  All Ireland Hurling Final 1981
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? My Father, and the Offaly lads from Ferbane like Sean Lowry. Matt Connor was a big hero of mine a little later when I was about 8
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are? Yes. And the In Laws.
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical? More ecumenical, but there was always a sense that the soccer lads were either not good enough to play GAA, or else were GAA players keeping fit.

seafoid

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? 7
Who played in the match? Galway vs Offaly, 1980 AIHSF
Do you remember anything about it ? The Connollys and drinking lots of Fanta and there being loads of chocolate on tap and furry hats and those crepe paper hats that would leak their dye in the rain and the scoreboard with the strange words "Gaillimh"and "Uibh Fhaili".  And later every match would have that word "Gaillimh". I also remember a story from the 1980 Gaelsport annual about a hurler who had his jaw broken in the early stages of a match but played on to win the thing at the price of a lifelong disfigurement
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? My father and an uncle of his from Ballinasloe
What was your first match in Croke Park ? See above.
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? John and Joe Connolly, PJ Molloy, Bernie Forde, the Punch brothers from Limerick
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? Just myself and the auld fella
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? Yes. In school we were exposed to a GAA Jihadi who made us all watch the 1981 Superstars competition and who pointed out how crap the soccer players were at the chin-ups compared to Pat Spillane. And the logic was that soccer players have no arm muscles because they are not proper men like Pat Spillane.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

thejuice

At what age did you go to your first GAA match? – Must have been about 5 years old

Who played in the match? – Meath Vs Dublin, League Match in the latter half of the 80's.

Do you remember anything about it? – I think the Dubs won, but the players were so muddy that you couldn't tell the jerseys apart, except the goalkeepers.

Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA? – My Dad.

What was your first match in Croke Park?  See above.

Who were the first GAA players you were aware of? – The whole Meath team from the late 1980's + Jack O'Shea, Pat Spillane, Jimmy Barry Murphy, Teddy McCarthy, Joe Cooney, Sylvie Linnane, Connar Hayes, Éanna Ryan, Gerry McInerney, Pete Finnerty, John O'Leary, Barney Rock, Kieran Duff,

Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are? – No one else comes close to the obsession I have but my Dad, Mam and Sister are. The brother has bit of a grudge against it because of not getting picked at underage or something like that.

Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical? – No we were encouraged to try other sports as much as GAA. Played a short while for a soccer club at a young age.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

illdecide

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? (not counting playing underage) 1st senior match was in the late 80's
Who played in the match? Clans v St Peters in senior championship
Do you remember anything about it ? yes, Dessie McCann missing a penalty for Clans
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? The late Gerry Fegan
What was your first match in Croke Park ?  Crossmaglen v Ballina ( i think)
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Jimmy Smyth, Colm McKinstry and Jim McKerr
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? No
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? No
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? The 1st I remember was aged 7.
Who played in the match? Mayo v Roscommon
Do you remember anything about it ? Mayo lost and the man beside us had no left ear. There was just a hole in the side of his head.
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ? Parents
What was your first match in Croke Park ?  1985 All-Ireland semi-final v Dublin
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Wille Joe
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? All of them
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? Soccer was something on tv. Gaa was what we did in Mayo.
MWWSI 2017

boojangles

At what age did you go to your first GAA match ? At matches since I was born but I think my first proper memory was a League Q-Final in Croke Park 87 or 88
Who played in the match? Cavan and Dublin
Do you remember anything about it ? Cavan as usual should have won and gave Dublin a fright but Dublin still won
Who were the main figures involved in introducing you to the GAA ?Father
What was your first match in Croke Park ?  See above
Who were the first GAA players you were aware of ? Damien O Reilly and all the main Mullahoran players who played with Cavan also Barney Rock and Barry Coffey of Cork were names that stood out.Mick Lyons,Brian Stafford,Colm O Rourke and most of that 'Dirty Meath' team as they were known in my household.
Is anyone else in your family as interested in GAA as you are ? Father and Brother are probably worse than me
Did your indoctrination involve any bad-mouthing of soccer  or was it more ecumenical ? No, Soccer and other sports were always followed in my house but Football was always King.