Pick Up

Started by Pangurban, January 15, 2007, 04:55:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

I am becoming increasingly convinced that the pick-up rule is rarely enforced,is in fact practically unenforcable and is rapididly degenerating into farce as the game becomes faster. I would confidently wager that at least 80% of the pickups made during games at weekend did not comply with rules,and were not penalised.

Over the Bar

80%?  Maybe 20-40%.  I do agree with you tho its mainly when the ball is trundling.  Depends very much on the referee. Some will penalise while others will not.

Captain Scarlet

it drives me mad when ya go out one day and the ref has no problem with you letting the ball roll up your arms and the next day you get blown.
i feel it should be allowed if the ball has sufficient pace. all the same id like the ref to actually tell the players his stance on the issue before the games.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

Gnevin

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 15, 2007, 05:13:11 PM
it drives me mad when ya go out one day and the ref has no problem with you letting the ball roll up your arms and the next day you get blown.
i feel it should be allowed if the ball has sufficient pace. all the same id like the ref to actually tell the players his stance on the issue before the games.

Yes it should be one or the other its annoying to say the least
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

never kickt a ball

The Ref's are not too consistent with the over carrying rule either. At Omagh on Sunday Brain Crowe penalised Tyrone first and then Derry shortly after, early in the first half. There were no further infringements until a ridiculous call on Tyrone player in the second half. With regards to the pick up if a player is scrambling around the ball on the ground then it is usually given.

botman

Why don't you just put your toe under the ball everytime. Saves all the hassle of will the ref penalise me or not. It's fairly simple for christ sake !

Keep them at it.

Mayo4Sam

Theres the times u slide along the ground into it, sometimes given sometimes not, very frustrating
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

magpie seanie

I'm with Botman here - just stick the toe under it anyway. Getting penalised for technical fouls (bar overcarrying when you get bottled up) is really inexcusable and I'm not even that good a player. I don't think I have ever been penalised for picking the ball up off the ground.

As a defender the overcarrying rule is one that is very close to my heart. If an attacker is allowed that extra couple of steps it's a huge advantage to him as instead of trying to time your tackle for his fourth step you really do not know when he is going to play the ball.