Masters to join Beckham in the USA?

Started by Over the Bar, January 12, 2007, 11:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over the Bar

Masters to consider American offer

Exciting Cork football forward James Masters is considering an offer to travel to America for a trial as an NFL kicker.

Masters says he had been approached but there's been no recent communication with his initial contact in recent times.

"The truth of what has happened is now being stretched beyond belief," Masters says.

"I did get a phone call over a month before Christmas from a man asking me if I would be interested in trying out in the NFL as a kicker, but it was a vague conversation.

"At the start, I actually thought it was a prank call, but I checked it out and I believe he was being genuine.

"I said the only way I would know was if I had a trial period for a few weeks and he just said that he would be in contact with me again."

tayto

He is some striker of the dead ball, he'd be a massive blow to cork but it dosent sound like anything will come of it.

Gnevin

We hear this every year and nothing ever comes of it
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

BallyhaiseMan

indeed
Wasnt Ronan O Gara also supposedly asked aswell?
as Gnevin said it never seems to come to anything.

Maximus Marillius

Sure Slim was asked because he was a great kicker of a ball...when they found out he wasnt number 1...well it killed off their interest

BallyhaiseMan

Jaysus Max yer taking this argument with slim to alot of different threads  :D

SlimShady

you're like a schoolboy pulling the hair of a girl he fancies in a playground!!

I'm not interested Max, I'm straight- now let it go!!!

full back

Max I think its pretty clear now-he is not going to put it in his mouth
Leave it be son, leave it be

AMayoSheep

There must be something in the water down in cork!
O'Gara was asked and i could be wrong but wasnt cocerian(i know thats a bad attempt at spelling his name)?

Border Fox

I think you mean Corkery!!

This craic went around a few years ago about Óisín McConville - trouble is he never heard a thing about it

CSC

You could start seeing some truth in these stories. The best punters at the moment are two ex aussie rules lads. Both are able to kick the ball long, and are also able to place in accurately to the corners, something which the yanks can't do. The press over here is full of stories about scouts going to Australia, so scouts could also be keeping an eye on the GAA.