Ulster Minor Club all-time All Stars

Started by never kickt a ball, January 11, 2007, 09:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximus Marillius

more to do with memory, you helped jog it it. The difference between Lavey and us was...we won the two  tournaments outright. Henry downey at CHB...should have been a cake walk...a farce...cringe worthy

peepy

given some of your suggestions for the half back line, and most stating that it is poor area, what about francis mceldowney who played for a winning slaughtneil team 98-99 and losing final in 99-00 who also has been one of derrys most consistant defenders in the last couple seasons, marking likes of dooher, hasset, cavanaghan etc out of few games

loughshore lad

Quote from: peepy on January 12, 2007, 02:39:51 PM
given some of your suggestions for the half back line, and most stating that it is poor area, what about francis mceldowney who played for a winning slaughtneil team 98-99 and losing final in 99-00 who also has been one of derrys most consistant defenders in the last couple seasons, marking likes of dooher, hasset, cavanaghan etc out of few games

Marking Dooher out of the game??? Must have missed that one myself!

saffron sam2

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 12, 2007, 02:00:39 PM
Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 12, 2007, 01:28:28 PM
Lavey took part in it in 1983 with both Henry Downey, John Mc Gurk and seasmus Downey all playing...flawed...cringe worthy!
Ah now Max, you'd think when you were in nominating your cousin you'd have noticed that Lavey had won Derry in '83 and '84 and had no nominations, even though Henry, Jim and the McGurks had all played.
Obviously a bit of problem with computer literacy about Lavey!!
You will also have noted that no team represented Derry in the competition in 1983 because the Derry county minor final was played after St. Paul's tournament began.  I wouldn't like to take a bet on the fact that Lavey actually played in 84 either.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Maximus Marillius

Saffron should that really matter considering the really flawed criteria being used..ie...it doesnt matter how ye performed as a minor or even if you won here...its about what you did somewhere else ???

Bogball XV

Peepy, francis mceldowney is up against A Kernan and Cathal Murray for RHB, I think Kernan has a reasonable chance of taking that, although he has never marked Dooher et. al out of a game!!

SS2, you are correct, the game was played in Jan 84, because Derry had won the All Ireland minor that year - I remember it now - possibly played in Kilrea from the image I can recall!!  I don't know if they competed in '84 or not, but you're right, it wasn't held in the esteem that Derry clubs now hold it in back then.
As a matter of interest, do other counties place much emphasis on it?  I ask because there have been so few Tyrone winners (I think), and Tyrone have obviously been the strongest at underage level for the past 15yrs.

saffron sam2

Any competition takes a while to get off the ground properly and it was certainly the case here.  In the early years the teams from Fermanagh and the free state would have played in one half of the draw in Enniskillen and the other five teams would have gone to St. Paul's, hence the large gaps in the names of the teams who actually competed.

It seems to be held in very high esteem by the clubs currently taking part, another bragging right I suppose; however in my experience it is more the committee men and club members (rather than the players) who hold in high esteem.  The players themselves have more important things to do over Christmas and the New Year.

With regards to the actual All-Stars, not sure there is much merit in the whole process, it is simply being used to highlight the 25th year and there is a large amount of self-congratulations involved in the whole process.
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

drumanee

as already stated this all sar selection is a farce,as twice winners you would of thought we would of had a couple of men make the last 45 and before you say your whole career is taken into consideration well then tell me why karl diamond didnt make the 45?his honours read like this:1 all ireland senior,1 all ireland minor,1 u/21 ulster,1 senior ulster,2 minor ulster,2 mcrory cup,all ireland fresher,2 ulster club minor,5 county senior c'ships,2 ulster club senior,college all star,played for ulster.now tell me the selection is not a joke.
p.s someone stated bellaghy did not nominate,total bullshit,10 players were nominated 29/12/06 including karl diamond

Maximus Marillius

Quote from: Bogball XV on January 12, 2007, 02:58:53 PM
Peepy, francis mceldowney is up against A Kernan and Cathal Murray for RHB, I think Kernan has a reasonable chance of taking that, although he has never marked Dooher et. al out of a game!!

Considering Mc Eldowney has a winners medal might have given him an advantage....or i am I just to stupid for this thread >:(

shady character

Are you some sort of stato Drumanee, or how do you every single honour Karl D has won?

Maximus Marillius

I think he knows because of all those big game programmes he collected with Bellaghy;)

drumanee

Quote from: shady character on January 12, 2007, 03:31:19 PM
Are you some sort of stato Drumanee, or how do you every single honour Karl D has won?

it's not every day a player from your club wins all ireland and ulster medals,pretty easy to remember,could list johnny mcgurkes too if you like

peepy

maximus marillus spot on though idea of this was all stars for the competition itself and then what they did after this, which must mean francis mceldowney would be well ahead of the other two considering winning one and losing in final of other, played few more games than those other two i think. ps cathal murray is from which club/county

Maximus Marillius

I'll try that...just in footie School--- 2 Mac Rorys,County--- Ulster minor, 2 Ulster u21, 2 Ulster senior, 1 All Ireland, 3 National Legues. Club---1 minor football, 4 senior championship, 2 ulster clubs, 1 All Ireland and 1 All Star

well drum...am i close

drumanee

Quote from: Maximus Marillius on January 12, 2007, 03:40:24 PM
I'll try that...just in footie School--- 2 Mac Rorys,County--- Ulster minor, 2 Ulster u21, 2 Ulster senior, 1 All Ireland, 3 National Legues. Club---1 minor football, 4 senior championship, 2 ulster clubs, 1 All Ireland and 1 All Star

well drum...am i close

not far away he also won allireland minor 1983,forgot karl has 2 national leagues as well 95,96 i think