AIQF 2017 Tír Eoghain vs Ard Macha, Sat. August 5th @4pm

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, July 17, 2017, 06:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 11:54:52 AM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 11:35:47 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 10:58:46 AM
Quote from: yellowcard on August 06, 2017, 10:53:27 AM

As is your entitlement. My idea of good entertaining football does not involve flooding the defence and then endlessly hand passing and soloing up the field.

As is your prerogative, but so long as we score more than the opposition it'll be our indulgence too ;)

That makes perfect sense right up to the point where you give it a moments thought.

When you are watching games that don't involve your team, do find these tactics entertaining?

I can actually empatise here, if not to actually sympathise, however, 20 scores from any team does not automatically denote a totally negative mindset -- the reality is that a team, any team, must exploit their resources to maximum effect, to be at all relevant, and since we're not blessed with marquee forwards I think we're doing damned well.

Neutral observer enjoyment is never, never, the principal aim of any team, rather a fortuitous by-product, and quite honestly, so long as we continue to remain on the right side of results, I couldn't actually give a feck, sorry.

Setting up negatively, playing 13 men behind the ball and picking off scores from low risk moves is not entertaining. Taking 20 scores from that style makes you good at it. It doesn't make it entertaining.

Entertaining the neutral is not the objective of the team but it might reasonably be the objective of the rule makers and games organisers

Take your stance to its ultimate conclusion. Tyrone win the next 10 Sams. Played out to an ecstatic bunch of red hand followers overjoyed at the results they read because the games were too dull to watch

LCohen

Quote from: Jayop on August 06, 2017, 11:58:21 AM
The Tyrone games have been dull for a neutral this summer but that's not the fault of Tyrone. It's the fault of inept opponents. Against a better team with a closer game it'll be fine to watch. How people can accuse a team that's scores an insane amount of being dour and defensive is beyond me.

It being beyond you doesn't make it untrue

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:13:28 PM

As is your entitlement. My idea of good entertaining football does not involve flooding the defence and then endlessly hand passing and soloing up the field.

As is your prerogative, but so long as we score more than the opposition it'll be our indulgence too ;)

That makes perfect sense right up to the point where you give it a moments thought.

When you are watching games that don't involve your team, do find these tactics entertaining?

I can actually empatise here, if not to actually sympathise, however, 20 scores from any team does not automatically denote a totally negative mindset -- the reality is that a team, any team, must exploit their resources to maximum effect, to be at all relevant, and since we're not blessed with marquee forwards I think we're doing damned well.

Neutral observer enjoyment is never, never, the principal aim of any team, rather a fortuitous by-product, and quite honestly, so long as we continue to remain on the right side of results, I couldn't actually give a feck, sorry.

Setting up negatively, playing 13 men behind the ball and picking off scores from low risk moves is not entertaining. Taking 20 scores from that style makes you good at it. It doesn't make it entertaining.

Entertaining the neutral is not the objective of the team but it might reasonably be the objective of the rule makers and games organisers

Take your stance to its ultimate conclusion. Tyrone win the next 10 Sams. Played out to an ecstatic bunch of red hand followers overjoyed at the results they read because the games were too dull to watch

You overlook some basics here: Tyrone yesterday hardly ever coughed up the ball to Armagh, compared to the latter who couldn't retain possession at times; the power, presence, and precision of our game is something to behold, though not to be beheld universally, granted; scores must still be taken, and that's never as trivial as you're implying here; if the game is as unattractive as you're suggesting, the onus is on the powers that be to address that, not individual teams; we are not unique in our defensive-minded approach -- Dublin were equally peopled defensively in the second game.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

LCohen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 12:26:22 PM
Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:13:28 PM

You overlook some basics here: Tyrone yesterday hardly ever coughed up the ball to Armagh, compared to the latter who couldn't retain possession at times; the power, presence, and precision of our game is something to behold, though not to be beheld universally, granted; scores must still be taken, and that's never as trivial as you're implying here; if the game is as unattractive as you're suggesting, the onus is on the powers that be to address that, not individual teams; we are not unique in our defensive-minded approach -- Dublin were equally peopled defensively in the second game.

The possession issue is not being contested. But low risk passing is part of the problem

I never said that it was up to change. I merely said it was boring to watch. Which it is. But by all means let the authorities look at the rules to reinvigorate the game and its traditional skills

Dublin were not equally defensive. They kept a lot more men forward. It was key to how they played

StGallsGAA

Armagh fans.   As you waken up to a stonking Buckfast hangovers thinking the weekend can't get much worse, remember you still have to go to work tomorrow and face your Tyrone workmates!    8) ;)

tonto1888

I wouldn't say the Tyrone style of play is overly aesthetically pleasing on the eye or over entertaining but it is enthralling to watch. The intensity you guys bring is something else though. To me you are team of athletes rather than skilful players. That's not to say your players don't have skills because they do but your athleticism is more to the fore. Should be a good game against Dublin but I hope the dubs win. Sorry.

balladmaker

Well done Tyrone, superb outfit who will give the Dubs their fill of it.  Hard style of play to watch, but maybe when your team are 18 points down, that's the way it should be.  I didn't see an 18 points drubbing coming, maybe 5 or 6, but 18, jeez, a complete non-event for Armagh with the game being over after 10 minutes.  Both sets of fans who travelled deserved to see a better effort than that.  An awful lot for the Armagh set-up to come to terms with over the winter.  For starters, Armagh didnt have the upper body strength to complete with Tyrone, were miles behind in the physical stakes, was like Senior vs Minor throughout.  Armagh just couldn't break a tackle and it was obvious from very early on that the gulf between the teams was huge.  A winter in the gym will do some of the Armagh team no harm, working on their upper body strength in particular.

Progress from Armagh this year, albeit an awful end to the season, but progress none the less.  Getting out of Div 3 is the priority for now, and consistently becoming a last 8 team should not be beyond Armagh.  However, a long way to go to get to the levels of Tyrone if that is possible.  But the season ticket will be bought again next season, and off we go in hope and expectation once again.

Good luck Tyrone, Sam could be for the bushes once again.  I look forward to watching the semi with a pint in hand in Spain on the hols  :P

tonto1888

Quote from: StGallsGAA on August 06, 2017, 12:32:03 PM
Armagh fans.   As you waken up to a stonking Buckfast hangovers thinking the weekend can't get much worse, remember you still have to go to work tomorrow and face your Tyrone workmates!    8) ;)

Not all of us thankfully. I only have to see my brothers Tyrone in laws at his sons christening today!!!

seafoid

The best teams are usually elegant. Even Donegal had flashes of it.
You can win with journeymen forards.Clare did it in 95. But it would be easier with a Stephen O'Neill or an Oisin. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:30:58 PM
The possession issue is not being contested. But low risk passing is part of the problem

I never said that it was up to change. I merely said it was boring to watch. Which it is. But by all means let the authorities look at the rules to reinvigorate the game and its traditional skills

Dublin were not equally defensive. They kept a lot more men forward. It was key to how they played

"Low risk passing", as you term it, demands extremely high levels of precision, fitness, and skill, however unpleasing to the eye you find it. Regarding Dublin and bodies back -- Monaghan, alas, presented no real challenge, wait till you see the set-up against ourselves! ;)

LCohen

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 12:50:38 PM

"Low risk passing", as you term it, demands extremely high levels of precision, fitness, and skill, however unpleasing to the eye you find it. Regarding Dublin and bodies back -- Monaghan, alas, presented no real challenge, wait till you see the set-up against ourselves! ;)

It was you who said that Dublin were equally defensive yesterday. I merely pointed out that wasn't true. Something you appear to be warming to

mackers

The worries that the Armagh fans had about our difficulties in breaking down blanket defences all year came to fruition big style yesterday. The nonsense posted by some about Armagh adopting a physical approach was also shown up for what it was. Our physical conditioning was miles off Tyrone's. Some have mentioned the need for some serious gym work in the Armagh. That is, of course, correct and again makes a fallacy of this McGeeney producing gym monkeys line.  The winter needs to be spent coaching our lads to break a blanket defence. We went to the blanket in ones and twos. We need to commit more men in that area and hit it at pace.
That said, the players have to be praised for the championship run they have given us and we shouldn't forget that although yesterday was so disappointing.
Keep your pecker hard and your powder dry and the world will turn.

maddog

Exactly how I would feel if the shoe was on the other foot.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: LCohen on August 06, 2017, 12:53:55 PM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 06, 2017, 12:50:38 PM

It was you said that Dublin were equally defensive yesterday. I am merely pointed out that wasn't true. Something you appear to be warming to

Dublin will be as defensive as they have to be, when required, we're not unique in that respect. Though I couldn't care really, just so long as we outscore the opposition, that's all that really counts.

seafoid

The thing about maximising resources is that the results vary case by case.
You can maximise your resources if you have 15 acres of wet land in the Sperrins but
cuir sioda ar gabhar agus is gabhar i gconai e.

The big question is do Tyrone need what they don't have ?  Can organisation overcome that handicap ?