Ryanair set for £8 flights to US

Started by ziggysego, November 02, 2008, 10:54:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcarrier

Why would Ryanair want to compromise on safety ? The whole low cost model fails if consumers believe that they are at more risk by flying low cost.

I assume what happened here the raised his concerns internally and they were rejected. He then raised his concerns with the IAA and they were rejected.

As the IAA have said "The fact that the outcome of an investigation or analysis does not concur with the views of the persons concerned does not alter the fact that they were investigated in full.

I have worked with people like this who just keep asking the same question in a different way when their views are rejected. It is absolutely wearying for both sides. How he could spend 26 + years working for them is baffling.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 15, 2013, 04:34:31 PM
Why would Ryanair want to compromise on safety ? The whole low cost model fails if consumers believe that they are at more risk by flying low cost.

I assume what happened here the raised his concerns internally and they were rejected. He then raised his concerns with the IAA and they were rejected.

As the IAA have said "The fact that the outcome of an investigation or analysis does not concur with the views of the persons concerned does not alter the fact that they were investigated in full.

I have worked with people like this who just keep asking the same question in a different way when their views are rejected. It is absolutely wearying for both sides. How he could spend 26 + years working for them is baffling.

You are joking right?

The market was supposed to protect us from poorly run banks wasn't it?
MWWSI 2017

muppet

One for BCarrier: http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/ryanair-lapse-sparks-safety-spat-204301/

Ryanair lapse sparks safety spat 
Print
By:    LONDON 09:20 24 Jan 2006  Source: 

Airline's failure to send 737 incident report to Irish authorities delays Italian investigation by four months.

The Italian authorities are launching an investigation into a series of flawed approaches flown into Rome by the crew of a Ryanair Boeing 737-800. The controversial incident has prompted the Irish Airline Pilots Association (IALPA) to question whether Ireland has an adequate safety oversight system in place.

Italian air accident investigation agency ANSV's decision to investigate comes four months after the 7 September 2005 incident because, it claims, it has only just been handed details by the Irish Air Accident Investigation Unit (AAIU). Read the précis here.

Ryanair's internal report on the Rome Ciampino airport-bound 737 – the only investigation carried out so far – refers to the crew's "almost complete loss of situational awareness, both lateral and vertical", while attempting a diversion to Rome Fiumicino because of storms at Ciampino, ascribing this to high workload in turbulent weather and failure to follow standard operating procedures.

The airline informed the Irish Aviation Authority (IAA) and the AAIU that the event had occurred, but Ryanair chief executive Michael O'Leary admits that the carrier "screwed up" by failing to send them the final draft of its report.
The report says that, when the captain repeatedly failed to capture the instrument landing system on approach to Fiumicino, the co-pilot became concerned. "The first officer repeatedly prompted the captain to ensure he was not suffering some form of partial incapacitation, and when he realised that the aircraft was now in a potentially unsafe situation he urged the aircraft [sic] to perform a go-around, pulled back on the control column and advanced the thrust levers, but he did not assume control from the captain," it says.

The captain had suffered the death of his young son a few days before the Düsseldorf-Ciampino flight, but had gone back on duty without notifying flight operations. Since then, says the report, existing instructions in the operations manual "for anyone who finds themselves in this situation" have been clarified.

The AAIU has previously reported that on 21 July last year a Ryanair crew carried out "an irrational and inexplicable" steep approach to land at Stockholm Skavsta airport, touching down at 180kt (330km/h) in the wrong configuration (Flight International, 11-17 October 2005). The agency attributed the pilot's behaviour to stress related to family concerns.

Capt Evan Cullen, head of IALPA, says of the Ryanair Ciampino flight report: "There has been an excessive tendency to criticise the pilots without attempting to understand the situation. The report quotes no information from the flight data recorder [FDR]." O'Leary says the pilots had not "pulled" the data from the FDR at the time, and the report uses information from the aircraft's operational flight data monitoring unit.

Cullen says: "While not commenting on any particular incident or airline, there is no doubt that the safety margins in Irish aviation have been eroded. The important question is whether we have in place the regulatory oversight system to alert us when the safety margin has been eroded to an unsafe extent."

The IAA says it "routinely audits Ryanair's line operations from the flightdeck and training standards, and follows up and investigates reported incidents in a systematic manner".

DAVID LEARMOUNT / LONDON
MWWSI 2017

muppet

Another one:

"Having had to consider Ryanair's untruths to the Court, its untruths about the Court and its untruths about the Minister, one has to conclude that the truth and Ryanair are uncomfortable bedfellows" (Mr Justice Peter Kelly, High Court Judge June 2010).
MWWSI 2017

orangeman

I'm with Muppet here.

Fairly clear to me.

I wouldn't trust Michael O'Leary as far as I could throw him.

bcarrier

Two cases in seven years ...considering the amount of people Ryanair piss off on a regular basis if there was a real safety issue there it would have been outed long ago.

As for the market and the banks  :'(  I think we already have a thread for that but the unions and Bertie's benchmarking have plenty to answer for the state of the country too.

muppet

Quote from: bcarrier on August 15, 2013, 05:55:14 PM
Two cases in seven years ...considering the amount of people Ryanair piss off on a regular basis if there was a real safety issue there it would have been outed long ago.

As for the market and the banks  :'(  I think we already have a thread for that but the unions and Bertie's benchmarking have plenty to answer for the state of the country too.

Just because you have only seen the two I have posted doesn't mean there are only two.

How many more would you like? I've got lots.
MWWSI 2017

seafoid

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greater good of everyone." (John Maynard Keynes)

muppet

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2013, 07:32:42 PM

"Capitalism is the astounding belief that the most wickedest of men will do the most wickedest of things for the greater good of everyone." (John Maynard Keynes)

Why would Anglo want to compromise on risk?
MWWSI 2017

haranguerer

muppet

MWWSI 2017

bcarrier

Simon Calder is a man I'd trust. says Ryanair have an obsession with safety here (in passing ) ...

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/simon-calder/simon-calders-holiday-helpdesk-how-reliable-is-mexican-airline-interjet-8565923.html

Ryanair fly over 500,000 flights per year btw.

bcarrier

Quote from: seafoid on August 15, 2013, 07:32:42 PM

Sorry comrade but I am pretty sure Aeroflot Cubana and china have some of the worst safety records of airlines.

Hardy

I can't believe John Maynard Keynes ever uttered such an abomination as "most wickedest".

Carry on.