"Seniors Money"

Started by we are blue... etc, September 15, 2007, 10:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

we are blue... etc

I would love to know the general consensus on this. For me the whole thing has a woeful bad taste to it. I have two Grannies still on the go (TG) and surviving on the pension isn't easy for them. Signing away the house would definitely make life easier for them and none of the rest of us would be any worse off for losing the inheritance.

Is it right though that some financial institution should benefit enormously from fronting up a few bob to our grannies and grandads?

Tyrones own

I'm hearing more and more about these reverse mortgages that are making the rounds,
Can't say it's a bad idea for this exact reason.
Why should our old folk have to live on the bread line whilst sitting on that kind of equity,
Screw the free loaders Granny, cash in and get out there and enjoy what's left of your life ;D
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Bogball XV

Quote from: we are blue... etc on September 15, 2007, 10:29:20 PM
I would love to know the general consensus on this. For me the whole thing has a woeful bad taste to it. I have two Grannies still on the go (TG) and surviving on the pension isn't easy for them. Signing away the house would definitely make life easier for them and none of the rest of us would be any worse off for losing the inheritance.

Is it right though that some financial institution should benefit enormously from fronting up a few bob to our grannies and grandads?
They are very, very expensive - better off to sell the house, buy somewhere more suitable to her needs and live off the excess raised from the house.

pintsofguinness

QuoteI would love to know the general consensus on this. For me the whole thing has a woeful bad taste to it. I have two Grannies still on the go (TG) and surviving on the pension isn't easy for them. Signing away the house would definitely make life easier for them and none of the rest of us would be any worse off for losing the inheritance.

no, but you have to admit it's a great scheme!

It really pisses me off that people who've worked their whole lives and paid taxes have to worry about things like this in their old age. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

magpie seanie

I think its a bit scummy to be honest. People shouldn't have financial problems in their later years but this scheme is not the best solution.

rosnarun

get them to sign over the houses straiht away to you and the family incase they ever need to go into a home. in which case the house will be counted as income . after next year up to a max of 15% of the house, but at up to 800 quid a week you wouldnt be long before any morgate theyd get would be well spent .
whet the feck are they at struggling on the pension, its over €210 a week now . same as all old people, me me me.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere