Schoolgirl rapist shot in attack

Started by youngfella, March 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngfella

The attack happened in the Rosemount Gardens area of Derry

The man shot in both legs in a paramilitary-style attack in Londonderry was awaiting sentencing for raping a 15-year-old schoolgirl.

Keith Burnside, 37, from Rosemount Gardens was convicted in March of raping a girl in his car at Sandbank Cottages in 2000.

Two masked men entered his home in Rosemount Gardens at about 2315 BST on Monday and fired a number of shots.

He suffered injuries to both legs, and was taken to hospital for treatment.

Community worker Tommy McCourt said such incidents made people fearful of a return to violence. "It takes you back to the bad old days," he said.

"We believed that those days had passed and nobody wants to see this kind of thing happening again."

SDLP MLA Pat Ramsey also condemned the attack. "The people who carried out this shooting have no support from the local community and no place in a civilised society," he said.

The police said that those responsible were of slim build and wore tracksuits, baseball caps, and scarves over their faces.

The first man was 5ft 10ins and the second 6ft 2ins.

They want anyone who was in the area at the time and may have seen the men to contact them. - BBC

What you think of this story? Personally i feel he deserved it and hope he gets a good kicking in jail too!
Pull hard and early

screenexile

WTF??!! It's a joke! Don't think I'm defending rapists for one second but we live in a civilised society now FFS and this 'paramilitary justice' thing is antiquated and outdated and we are supposed to have moved away from this shite. We have a criminal justice system and equality for everyone now so there is no need for this type of attack anymore. The man will get his sentence soon enough I imagine and well deserved it will be too. Absolutely no need to knee cap him!

maddog

Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2009, 11:38:58 AM
WTF??!! It's a joke! Don't think I'm defending rapists for one second but we live in a civilised society now FFS and this 'paramilitary justice' thing is antiquated and outdated and we are supposed to have moved away from this shite. We have a criminal justice system and equality for everyone now so there is no need for this type of attack anymore. The man will get his sentence soon enough I imagine and well deserved it will be too. Absolutely no need to knee cap him!

The biggest mistake was not sticking one in his head.

screenexile

Sure we'll all get guns and go attack criminals for the craic!!  ::) ::) ::)

maddog

Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2009, 11:55:24 AM

Sorry but i cant have much sympathy for your man, or the pathetic sentence he will get. He has ruined thats girls life. If someone ruins his good enough for him.

screenexile

Like I said I have no sympathy for him and I hope he rots in jail but if everyone suddenly thinks it's ok to go and knee cap someone on a whim then obviously the peace process came to early for us and we're not ready to be a civilised society yet and we should just get rid of the PSNI/Criminal Justice System and just let the UVF/IRA police our streets again. Going around dishing out vigilante justice is not the way things should be done!

Hound

Quote from: maddog on March 31, 2009, 12:02:59 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 31, 2009, 11:55:24 AM

Sorry but i cant have much sympathy for your man, or the pathetic sentence he will get. He has ruined thats girls life. If someone ruins his good enough for him.
I don't agree with vigilateism, but I certainly would have no sympathy for him if he did rape the girl. If it was consensual and thus "statutory rape" then I'm less sure (about the knee capping - he'll deserve whatever sentence he gets)

Hardy

I don't think it's sympathy for the rapist that's motivating people to observe that it's not exactly a forward step for society to see a return to arbitrary dispensation of thug justice by self-appointed vigilantes.

maddog

Quote from: Hardy on March 31, 2009, 12:35:27 PM
I don't think it's sympathy for the rapist that's motivating people to observe that it's not exactly a forward step for society to see a return to arbitrary dispensation of thug justice by self-appointed vigilantes.

No agreed Hardy, an ideal world would be ideal i suppose.

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Problem is that the courts NEVER hand out proper sentences for these perverts.
Will he still get 50% remission?

If he's been properly convicted for rape then castration is the only just sentence.
Tbc....

theskull1

No sympathy of course for the rapist, but would you like to live next door to the boys who shot him?

I wouldn't. This sort of stuff is all great at a distance
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

Orior

What this story does tell me is that the victim of the rapist must have been well connected?
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

haranguerer

Quote from: youngfella on March 31, 2009, 11:25:36 AM

Keith Burnside, 37, from Rosemount Gardens was convicted in March of raping a girl in his car at Sandbank Cottages in 2000.

Two masked men entered his home in Rosemount Gardens at about 2315 BST on Monday and fired a number of shots.

Didnt he used to do UTV's version of crimewatch???

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Quote from: Orior on March 31, 2009, 01:14:11 PM
What this story does tell me is that the victim of the rapist must have been well connected?

Or maybe just has angry brothers. :-\
Tbc....

The Watcher Pat

They should have shot him in the bollock's....
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME