$15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226.94

Started by ziggysego, February 26, 2009, 01:12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Death Star Costs $15.6 Septillion, 1.4 Trillion Times the US Debt

If you had $15.6 septillion and 94 cents in your account, would you save the world from the economic crisis or build a Death Star, destroy the world, and move on to invade the galaxy?

A guy called Ryszard Gold—who probably is an alien villain from the Outer Rim planets and got a 49-point score in our Geek Social Aptitude Test—made the calculation of the most basic Death Star's price with current materials and space transport costs here on Earth. Here's a quick summary:

• First, assume that 1/10 of the 17.16 quadrillion cubic meters of the Death Star is something other than empty space and 6/10 of the total volume is pressurized space.
• That will require 1.71 quadrillion cubic meters of steel, about 134 quadrillion tonnes. That's $12.95 quintillion in current 2008 prices, and that's without counting strange alloys and elements.
• Shipping that to space will cost $95 million per tonne: So add $12.79 septillion in transport.
• Now you need to add air, which will require 8.23 quintillion cubic meters of Nitrogen, and 1.65 quintillion cubic meters of oxygen, for a total delivery cost of $2.81 septillions and $212.46 quintillion.

The total: $15,602,022,489,829,821,422,840,226.94.

Yes, that's a whooping 1.4 trillion times the current US Debt. Or a sightly more meaningful number: 124 trillion years of war in Iraq.

That will only get you the very basic model of Death Star, no options, no GPS, no radio, no leather heated seats, no mega-laser to obliterate planets, no turbolaser towers, no computer systems, no miscellaneous life support systems, no crew quarters, no turbo-elevators, no energy generators, no showers, no air conditioning, no Darth Vader's jacuzzi, no Emperor's home theater system, and no bloody canteen. And don't get me started on the cost of all the lunch trays and the constant supply of penne all'arrabbiata and peas needed for all the Death Star personell*. That will probably double the final bill, coupled with the construction costs, for a total of more than $31 septillions.

As for the answer to the first question, there's no doubt about it. But then again, I always liked the Emperor's robe. He goes naked everywhere and nobody notices.

Sourced: http://i.gizmodo.com/5146010/death-star-costs-156-septillion-14-trillion-times-the-us-debt
Testing Accessibility

Final Whistle

SidelineKick

Balls!  I just ordered one and didn't look at the delivery cost.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Hardy

Orior

And in other news today, the Church has just launched some kick-ass teeshirts

http://www.p4cm.com/p4cm/store/launch?69c75e40
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

bingobus

SidelineKick

Quote from: Hardy on February 26, 2009, 02:24:23 PM
It'd be cheaper in the North, though.

Its not, but they give you a £20 voucher for Adams, Barratts, Woolworths or Zavvi so I'm happy enough.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

thejuice

is the steering wheel on the left or right?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

rrhf

My belief is that the if the Irish govenrnent could just get the banks to lend more money and the public buy into this which I think they will, this could be the greatest property coup ever.  Apartments with a killer view.  Now does anyone know a good builder to get this thing off the ground... 

gerry

When i saw the tread title i though it was sean teague expenses for greencastle ziggy. :D :D
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

ziggysego

Quote from: gerry on February 26, 2009, 04:31:35 PM
When i saw the tread title i though it was sean teague expenses for greencastle ziggy. :D :D

Greencastle don't play for managers. If we did, that would be a good value for money ;)
Testing Accessibility

orangeman

A paycut ? Sign of the times !  ;)

gerry

Quote from: ziggysego on February 26, 2009, 04:33:39 PM

Greencastle don't play for managers. If we did, that would be a good value for money ;)

gerry

Pay or play or was that a typing error ziggy

ziggysego

Testing Accessibility