Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omagh_gael

So what's the alternative? Bearing in mind your team has a significantly easier path to either a straight knock out QF or the super8s compared to most of the country.

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2018, 01:14:46 PM
So what's the alternative? Bearing in mind your team has a significantly easier path to either a straight knock out QF or the super8s compared to most of the country.

Kerry had a far easier route and got embarrassed by a team we should have bet yesterday. Roscommon could have drawn two D1 teams in their province this year by the way, much tougher than what Dublin or any Ulster team faced into. People whining about random draws being random is one of the sillier aspects of this sport.

The problem in senior IC has always been finance. It's about money, and who gets it. Money means better coaching, better facilities and more player retention. If the GAA wants a Super 8 it needs to be subsiding smaller counties that actually try to compete like Tyrone, Roscommon, Monaghan, Cavan and Armagh far more than they currently are. The GAA desperately needs counties like that to be competitive simply to make the premier competition a decent spectacle. Likewise a cap on senior IC spending to prevent Dublin buying AIs or Mayo/Kerry trying to buy them, a centralised travel expenses fund and having some real oversight over how senior IC money is spent would go a long way towards fostering a better game at the top level rather than trying to wedge in an extra eight games at the AIQF stage.

But sure what do I know, I just witnessed my team be embarrassed by a team who will probably be embarrassed themselves this weekend. That will do wonders for the promotion of the game.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2018, 01:41:48 PM

Kerry had a far easier route and got embarrassed by a team we should have bet yesterday. Roscommon could have drawn two D1 teams in their province this year by the way, much tougher than what Dublin or any Ulster team faced into. People whining about random draws being random is one of the sillier aspects of this sport.

The problem in senior IC has always been finance. It's about money, and who gets it. Money means better coaching, better facilities and more player retention. If the GAA wants a Super 8 it needs to be subsiding smaller counties that actually try to compete like Tyrone, Roscommon, Monaghan, Cavan and Armagh far more than they currently are. The GAA desperately needs counties like that to be competitive simply to make the premier competition a decent spectacle. Likewise a cap on senior IC spending to prevent Dublin buying AIs or Mayo/Kerry trying to buy them and a centralised travel expenses fund and having some real oversight over how senior IC money is spent would go a long way towards fostering a better game at the top level rather than trying to wedge in an extra eight games at the AIQF stage.

But sure what do I know, I just witnessed my team be embarrassed by a team who will probably be embarrassed themselves this weekend. That will do wonders for the promotion of the game.

Pretty obvious is it not?
#newbridgeornowhere

BennyHarp

The problem in senior IC has always been finance. It's about money, and who gets it. Money means better coaching, better facilities and more player retention. If the GAA wants a Super 8 it needs to be subsiding smaller counties that actually try to compete like Tyrone, Roscommon, Monaghan, Cavan and Armagh far more than they currently are. The GAA desperately needs counties like that to be competitive simply to make the premier competition a decent spectacle. Likewise a cap on senior IC spending to prevent Dublin buying AIs or Mayo/Kerry trying to buy them and a centralised travel expenses fund and having some real oversight over how senior IC money is spent would go a long way towards fostering a better game at the top level rather than trying to wedge in an extra eight games at the AIQF stage.

"The grudge" is still strong.
That was never a square ball!!

trailer

The Super 8's isn't perfect, but it's better than what we had before.
Weaker / smaller counties should help themselves before they start crying to croke park. This is a voluntary organisation. You go to any club in Tyrone and see the amount of volunteers helping out with coaching at underage. These counties constantly want someone to blame. They should sort themselves out first then look to Croke park for help.

joemamas

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2018, 01:45:41 PM

Pretty obvious is it not?

Rarely agree with my Roscommon neighbor, but that is the bottom line. The GAA need to pump money coaching into weaker counties ASAP.

Jinxy

Where is this arms race going to end, lads?
If you were any use you'd be playing.

trailer

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2018, 03:26:03 PM

Hopefully in the destruction of North Korea (That's Meath in this scenario)

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2018, 03:26:03 PM

That's over years.
#newbridgeornowhere

Jinxy

We're pouring more and more money into the game and it's getting worse by the year.
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!
Lets flood the weaker counties with cash so they can bring in sports scientists, statisticians, nutritionists etc. and then we can happily watch every inter-county team hand-passing each other to death while the crowd on the terraces loses the will to live.
Money has got us here, so explain to me how money will get us out of here.

Syferus

Quote from: Jinxy on July 16, 2018, 04:00:44 PM
We're pouring more and more money into the game and it's getting worse by the year.
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!
Lets flood the weaker counties with cash so they can bring in sports scientists, statisticians, nutritionists etc. and then we can happily watch every inter-county team hand-passing each other to death while the crowd on the terraces loses the will to live.

You missed the line about a spending cap Jinxy. If everyone is literally working from the same numbers there is much less incentive to overspend, particularly if the penalties were harsh. Meaning overall costs would go down. It works in many professional sports so the idea that amateur gaelic football is a special case I cannot buy.

rodney trotter

What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

It's getting worse if your from Meath anyway. Done nothing in years. Roscommon and Monaghan combined wouldn't have the population of Meath, and they're in the Super 8s.

Rossfan

Meath 195k.
Ros 65k,  Monaghan 64k.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

joemamas

What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

I find it difficult to believe that five or six underage coach's in Leitrim or name one of ten other counties, would not develop skills of kids say 8-12 and continue it on from that.
Now I am not stupid and don't believe things will change overnight, but the divergence right now is alarming.

Jinxy

Quote from: rodney trotter on July 16, 2018, 05:20:19 PM
What's the solution?
MORE MONEY!

It's getting worse if your from Meath anyway. Done nothing in years. Roscommon and Monaghan combined wouldn't have the population of Meath, and they're in the Super 8s.

We're too busy harvesting crops from our rich, fertile land.