Super 8s

Started by theticklemister, February 19, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I left after our game for obvious reasons.
Most neutrals now watch games on TV and the slack jawed peasant looking in awe at a Croke Park is a thing of the past.
These quarter finals are a 3 games series so people will go to their home game and might or might not choose to go to the other 2 games.

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Jayop

Tyrone are pretty lucky for the next two games in relation to locations and the hype of the games. Both will be packed out and there's very little travel to get to ballybofey for a game.

Both games are huge for us regardless of the result in the next week. If we beat Dublin and donegal beat Roscommon then we can still go out if we lose to donegal and Dublin beat roscommon on score difference (although we're in good shape there.)if we lose to Dublin then it doesn't matter what donegal do next weekend as the final game there is a winner takes all.

It's strange really that at this stage it doesn't really matter for donegal of they win or lose next week so long as we lose to Dublin.

Jinxy

I'll reserve overall judgement until the remaining two rounds are played, but as it stands, you'd have to say the opening weekend was the very definition of a damp squib.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Jayop

Yeah without doubt. Our game was a non contest and for everyone bar Tyrone fans it wouldn't have been good watching. The second game was never really that competitive despite the close scoreline and the two games today were close but pretty poor stuff quality wise. Hopefully we'll see some clinkers of games next weekend.

sambostar

But if Roscommon beat Donegal next week Tyrone should be as good as through on score difference as long as they avoided a big defeat in either of last 2 games. That was the value of pummelling Roscommon yesterday

Jayop

Aye a Ross or Tyrone win next week sees us as good as through.

greatpoint

Quote from: Jayop on July 15, 2018, 07:17:43 PM
Yeah without doubt. Our game was a non contest and for everyone bar Tyrone fans it wouldn't have been good watching. The second game was never really that competitive despite the close scoreline and the two games today were close but pretty poor stuff quality wise. Hopefully we'll see some clinkers of games next weekend.

The second game was pretty competitive until Dublin scored their first goal before half time, I think Donegal led 3 times and the game was level until the goal. Dublin controlled the second half though.

rrhf

1) Very disappointed in Roscommon. Are they a team that gives up easy?
2) well done Tyrone. Have given themselves a decent chance
3) Donegal are good and still are more than capable of getting through.
4) dubs have so many options and won pulling up. Great team and champions elect.
5) Kildare might have plenty to say yet. Still capable
6) Monaghan - dark horse for the all Ireland final
7) Kerry - perhaps not quite matching up to hype - a year too early?
8) Galway - most likely team to eventually bate the dubs - are they better than mayo last year?

rrhf

Prediction after next week.
4 teams on 2 points in 1 section.
Dub on 4. Tyrone and Donegal on 2 and ros pointless.

tooolonggg

Return to the All Ireland 1/4 final straight knock out itinerary for 2019.

omagh_gael

Quote from: tooolonggg on July 16, 2018, 10:50:11 AM

Super 8s already set in stone for 2018, 19 and 20. Would take a further motion to end it for next year which isn't going to happen. The first weekend has been a total bust but I'd say it'll be much better next weekend as teams will really have to start going for it.

If there is a change I can see them getting rid of the Croke Park games at the start and, perhaps, move them to provincial grounds. Have Croker full of concerts until August!

6th sam

1. We've heard it all before several times. Does anyone else feel that there is always excessive negativity around the quality of Gaelic  football. There are always bad games in any sport, but the media, backed up by every disgruntled losing supporter gets the boot into Gaelic football every time we don't have a 4:18 to 5:15 classic. There were some superb pieces of skill yesterday : evasion skills, goal and point finishing , superb tackling , fielding , kick outs . The GAA fails to promote this but instead tolerates negative portrayal of our games epitomised by Rourke, Brolly, Spillane , who are GAA equivalent of the 2 old boys on the balcony in the muppets. I worry about the influence and accessibility of Sky but Canavan and McGuinness excellence compared to RTE is like day and night.
2. The super 8s concept is beyond farcical and I can't believe that this concept was passed by the vast majority of counties who have no chance of involvement, talk about turkeys voting for Christmas . Where do I start? 75% of counties not involved, built around an unfair provincial and qualifier structure, reinforcing inequalities , The negative PR of an empty Croke Park, Croke Park being Dublin's "neutral" venue😂, possibility of dead rubber games, "keeping the score down as opposed to trying to win , potential safety issues around packed inadequate home venues , cumulative prices for punters particularly families, more exposure for the Naysayers led by the 3 muppets.
3. Time for a 2 tiered championship structure , Gradings on the basis of league status, revitalising the league, with an alternative route to latter stages via provincial championships.
4. More compact county season , with all teams extended involvement until the last 8. More county games, lower prices.
5. Distinct Club competitions with or without county players to allow club competitions to proceed without county players but then have loads of games with their county players back.
6. GAA payoff the 3 RTE muppets (only half joking) and insist on a more positive promotion of our national games by our national broadcaster

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2018, 10:53:45 AM

Super 8s already set in stone for 2018, 19 and 20. Would take a further motion to end it for next year which isn't going to happen. The first weekend has been a total bust but I'd say it'll be much better next weekend as teams will really have to start going for it.

If there is a change I can see them getting rid of the Croke Park games at the start and, perhaps, move them to provincial grounds. Have Croker full of concerts until August!

Nothing is set in stone. No matter what happens next the first round has been a total disaster both in the fare and in how well it promotes the game. One of the most interesting weekends on the calendar has become a glorified NFL round.

omagh_gael

Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2018, 11:28:04 AM

Nothing is set in stone. No matter what happens next the first round has been a total disaster both in the fare and in how well it promotes the game. One of the most interesting weekends on the calendar has become a glorified NFL round.

Still think you're jumping the gun. I'd at least wait until the whole process has been completed to give a proper analysis. For example, the hurling change this year didn't start off with fireworks, it was pretty low key and built to a crescendo. 

Syferus

Quote from: omagh_gael on July 16, 2018, 11:34:27 AM
Quote from: Syferus on July 16, 2018, 11:28:04 AM

Still think you're jumping the gun. I'd at least wait until the whole process has been completed to give a proper analysis. For example, the hurling change this year didn't start off with fireworks, it was pretty low key and built to a crescendo.

I have barely paid attention to the hurling exactly because it's a glorified league with the same five teams playing each other over and over just as they did in the spring. If that's your idea of success I don't want to see what failure looks like.