Depression

Started by Eamonnca1, October 25, 2013, 09:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Last Man

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 27, 2023, 10:12:15 PM
Things have taken a turn for the worst here. Work, home life and the illness of a close friend has really knocked me back on my heels totally.

Things will get better but at the minute it's hard to see that happening.
Eat real food( if it has more than 5 ingredients leave it on the shelf) and get out and walk. Take it back to basics, no head phones, no sunglasses, just put one foot in front of the other. Life's best medicine!

tyrone08

I have found getting back to the gym helps my mood. Been away from the gym since lockdown but getting back into it and I always come out of it feeling better.

seafoid

Those who feel the breath of sadness, sit down next to me.
Those who feel they are touched by madness, sit down next to me.
Those who find themselves ridiculous, sit down next to me"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPNw_2h0CnU
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 27, 2023, 10:12:15 PM
Things have taken a turn for the worst here. Work, home life and the illness of a close friend has really knocked me back on my heels totally.

Things will get better but at the minute it's hard to see that happening.

I would get bad bouts myself, and talking to someone be it a professional or even a friend really helps. Sometimes airing some of the shit in your head can take a bit of the burden off.

clarshack

If you can do a parkrun or even volunteer at it, it's a very positive environment.

paddyjohn

I'm very lucky that I have a really good support network, went a dander tonight and it helped greatly. Spoke to my counsellor also today and I'm starting back next week.

Onwards and upwards. Thanks folks

rrhf

Good man PJ, hard to bate the dander ing...

paddyjohn

Quote from: rrhf on June 29, 2023, 11:54:48 PM
Good man PJ, hard to bate the dander ing...

Cup of tea in hand and I could it for ages.

tbrick18

Quote from: paddyjohn on June 29, 2023, 11:38:58 PM
I'm very lucky that I have a really good support network, went a dander tonight and it helped greatly. Spoke to my counsellor also today and I'm starting back next week.

Look after yourself PJ, I honestly hope things get better for you.
There's always the Gaaboard alumni to reach out to and typing out thoughts and feelings can be a weight off too. I must admit, I've seen nothing other than supportive messages and comments on this particular thread for those who have shared their struggles.

paddyjohn

Quote from: tbrick18 on June 30, 2023, 09:43:18 AM
Quote from: paddyjohn on June 29, 2023, 11:38:58 PM

Look after yourself PJ, I honestly hope things get better for you.
There's always the Gaaboard alumni to reach out to and typing out thoughts and feelings can be a weight off too. I must admit, I've seen nothing other than supportive messages and comments on this particular thread for those who have shared their struggles.

Cheers TB. You're 100% correct, for all the nonsense that's spouted on this board in other threads this one is likely the best.

Bunch of greats fellas on here. Brighter days ahead.

samuel maguire

Hope your keeping well PJ. But yes as others have mentioned a nice long walk, or even some sort of run if possible is always a good help. Exercising releases natural endorphins into our body and levels you feeling great after wards. Me personally, anytime im feeling low or down i go for a nice long run (7-8k), followed by a trip to the local leisure Centre for a dip in the pool/sauna/steam room/ice bath. It leaves me feeling really refreshed and chilled out. \i\ then grab myself some food, or a coffee and a bun and chill out in the cafe/coffee shop.

I know this is quite specific but i see it as almost a spa day type of thing. Some me time, which leaves me feeling great 

AustinPowers

Being out  in  nature is a great  healer I find.  Very therapeutic, be  it walking or  gardening.  Or just sitting taking in  the sights sounds  and smells  of the nature  all around you. I'm  lucky enough to have a patch  of land I use to  do that.  Even just watching  the birds , bees, butterflies  would do you good.  And having  a connection  with a wild animal is  a fantastic experience; a bird that lands beside you , a wee mouse, squirrel,  hedgehog  etc. It's mad, I can't describe it , it's just one of  those  wonderful  things nature can do  for us.

Swimming is  good too. Forces  you to focus on that one thing .

Best of  luck PJ

marty34

Good thing is, as people say, is to treat yourself PJ.

Life nowadays is too fast and we're all always on the go.  Rushing here and rushing there and we're always looking at the clock.

I know it's important to keep busy at different things but you need to look after yourself and treat yourself.  A goid example of this is get a massage or an indian head massage 3 or 4 times a year. Costs  £50 maybe but well worth it. Do you the world of good.

Hope all goes well.

NAG1

Nothing that hasn't really been said already PJ.

But getting out and getting some sort of activity definitely would help.

Keep at it.

paddyjohn

Thanks lads. Took some time away today and chilled.

Everyday is a new dawn.