Books

Started by 5 Sams, June 09, 2007, 02:46:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newbridge Exile

I  am nearly through Reprisal by F Paul Wilson (its the 5th in a series of 6 books called the Adversary Cycle ) its an excellent read  but is deeply deeply disturbing in places and one section of it was probably the most difficult thing i have ever read  ,  ( John Connolly's new  Charlie Parker novel " The  Dirty South " is next on my list.  )

Newbridge Exile

Quote from: Norf Tyrone on August 21, 2020, 12:37:45 AM
Quote from: An Watcher on August 20, 2020, 10:20:18 PM
Just finished Richie Sadlier's book "Recovering". Have to say it is excellent. Probably the best sports book I've read in a long time

Ever read Forever Young?

It's the story of young Strabane lad Adrian Doherty's aborted career with Man United. Probably the best football book I've read. However as he was in my school I might be slightly biased.
Really enjoyed it , so sad what happened Adrian .

lurganblue

Looking forward to the next Joe Abercrombie book due to be released on the 15th.  The Trouble with Peace is a continuation of the series.

If you are a fan of Game of Thrones and haven't delved into this series then you are missing out big time!

tbrick18

Quote from: lurganblue on September 07, 2020, 03:56:24 PM
Looking forward to the next Joe Abercrombie book due to be released on the 15th.  The Trouble with Peace is a continuation of the series.

If you are a fan of Game of Thrones and haven't delved into this series then you are missing out big time!

Great series of books. Some very memorable characters.

In that same vein, Peter V Brett has a series that starts with The Painted Man. Fantasy isn't everyone's cup of tea and I'll only dip in and out of it myself, but I found these very enjoyable.

Taylor

lurganblue

Quote from: Taylor on September 16, 2020, 02:23:27 PM
The Hill.

:-X

This has been widely circulated on WhatsApp so good luck to the lad making any money from the sales.

lurganblue

I just completed the new John Boyne book - A Traveller at the Gates of Wisdom.  This is an exceptional book with a very strange concept.  Once you get used to it though, it's hard to put down. The story even intertwines with some of the characters from his previous works.

Milltown Row2

Read The Chain over few months back, the writer is from these shores but lives in New York, think its going to be made into a film also.

Decent easy page turning book
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

bennydorano

Took a bit of a notion again on the reading and bought a  few books recently.

4 kings - George Kimball. A wonderful book about the Boxing era of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard & Duran.  Have a Biography of Roberto Duran and a Hugh Mcilvanney book on Boxing waiting for me too.

My current read is Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall, a take on modern Geopolitics (with historical background content), a truly fascinating read, some chapters more interesting than others. The India / Pakistan chapter opened my eyes a bit.

Also read Tighe's book on John Delaney recently, Champagne Football.

Olly

Great book called Picnic Time. It's about these three friends called Biff, Chip and Kipper and they get into escapades that would leave you gasping. There's a dog called Floppy but he just tags along. Highly recommended and wouldn't be surprised if a film on it comes out.
Access to this webpage has been denied . This website has been categorised as "Sexual Material".

An Watcher

Haha, I second that, Biff and Kipper are two wild ones alright

trueblue1234

Good book but the plot twists were easily predicted. Silly races a much better read. Kept me gripped throughout and did not expect that finish!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

shark

Quote from: bennydorano on December 13, 2020, 08:08:30 PM
Took a bit of a notion again on the reading and bought a  few books recently.

4 kings - George Kimball. A wonderful book about the Boxing era of Hearns, Hagler, Leonard & Duran.  Have a Biography of Roberto Duran and a Hugh Mcilvanney book on Boxing waiting for me too.

My current read is Prisoners of Geography by Tim Marshall, a take on modern Geopolitics (with historical background content), a truly fascinating read, some chapters more interesting than others. The India / Pakistan chapter opened my eyes a bit.

Also read Tighe's book on John Delaney recently, Champagne Football.

Marshall's other books worth a read too. Especially Shadowplay which is about his time as a reporter during the Kosovo war. There is a scene where he bumps in to Boris Johnson over there, who was sent by whatever newspaper he was with at the time. Unsurprisingly Johnson comes across utterly clueless.

bennydorano

Got Obama's Autobiography. 'A Promised Land' for Christmas, long looking oul book. Only started it but an easy entertaining read so far. Only part 1 of the memoirs.

An Watcher

Got Bernard Brogans book as a Christmas present. Wasn't sure about it when I got it and still not sure about it a few chapters in.